TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone been to Snowshoe WV?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by JunesongProvisn, Jul 28, 2015.

1. JunesongProvisn

I'm heading up this weekend to ride some bicycles and I'm trying to figure out the best place to charge (no superchargers on the I-81 corridor yet).

Google Maps

Looks like I'm going to have to hit a campground or two on the way up and on the way back. Has anyone been to any of them along the way?

Most importantly, has anyone actually charged at Snowshoe? I called and they said they had two EV parking spots, but I'm wondering if they're 110s. No one up there can give me an answer over the phone.

I'd be massively appreciative for any help with this - heading up in two days and trying to avoid driving my wife's VW.

2. linkster

linkster Member

1. I LOVE this southern winter ski resort gem
    2. I Usually stay in the Rimfire that has indoor parking where I located a few 120v receptacles (but not to be relied upon for charging).
    3. I would ask to speak to a maintanace manager to obtain real hardcore electrical offerings such as J1772, 14-50, 14-30, 10-30, 6-50, 5-20 (any of which I can lend you)
    4. Please be careful of MULTIPLE (energy gulping) elevation changes over the many mountains
    5. I enjoy charging with an extensive array of extension cords, 3rd party adapters, home brewed adapters, and a 50' UMC but I am too chicken to attempt this until the Staunton super opens.

image.jpg

3. JunesongProvisn

I really like it up there too! Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to be driving the VW until the 81 corridor gets a supercharger or two. :(

4. swengl

swengl Member

If you stay at the Greenbrier en route, you could charge there (if you are coming across on 64).

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Starting my campaign - email to Snowshoe:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/forms/contact-us.aspx

Hi There,

I am planning on coming to Snowshoe this winter, again in the late spring for Wanderlust, and again the next winter. It would be really great if I could drive there using my Tesla, but you don't have electric car chargers. Please consider installing these, especially since Tesla is now installing a supercharger in Lexington VA and has one installed already in Strausburg, VA. The nearest other chargers for Tesla are 2 at the Greenbriar.

Again, please consider,

Regards,

...Andrew

6. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Drucifer,

The campaign sounds great! A couple of quick thoughts that might help make it an easier sell:

Really all we need are 14-50 Outlets, which are cheap, and standard for RVs. That removes a lot of the cost and moves you from exotic EV charging to just outlets. To add to the just outlets theme, along with a number of 14-50s, even just a ton of 120V outlets inside their indoor parking would be very helpful for those that are in for a couple of days.

Also, we could point them to Tesla's destination charging program which would cover most of their costs...

Peter

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I will expand the discussion when/if they reply. I am probably going up this winter in a friends 4x4 - since my Model S is rear wheel drive, but for the summer trip, I would really rather take my Model S. Hopefully, my wife will be getting Model X in 2017, and we would use that going forward from there.

8. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

I agree. More likely to get a useful response in the form of installing 14-50 s if they know that that is sufficient.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

It depends. If Tesla is still providing HPWCs free of charge to qualified "destinations" then it is as cheap or cheaper to install that than a NEMA 14-50.