Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bothered by this statement on AP2.0 implementation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading the following paragraph from Tesla on AP2.0 implementation and personally, correct me if I'm wrong but from a safety perspective, this seems to be the wrong approach to implement AP2.0: "Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

So to me, it is clear that the cars being produced now will be temporary less "safe"...and the new owners are asked to be testers...The question I have is: Why would anyone buy a car now instead of waiting just a few months until the new system has been implemented?

[...]

So to me, it is clear that the cars being produced now will be temporary less "safe"...and the new owners are asked to be testers...The question I have is: Why would anyone buy a car now instead of waiting just a few months until the new system has been implemented?

Because they need to get from point A to point B and there are no better alternatives?

Reactions: Brando
Why would anyone buy a car now instead of waiting just a few months until the new system has been implemented?
Because they have been planning on buying a Tesla, have all their cash/financing in place, and even without those features being functional when they take delivery the car is still a dream to drive and those features will be implemented in the near future with no effort on their part.

While this latest move by Tesla is very unusual in the automotive world, that is the nature of the company: it does things that no other car manufacturer has ever done and continues to sell growing numbers of cars with features that no other manufacturer offers.

Reactions: Brando and Yuri_G
I could not believe when I was reading this. However after thinking a little more about it I support it. It's just so different of what we are used to, and the fact that it is back in December 2016 and a car ordered today will not arrive much earlier, it is a non issue.

Tesla of course get themselves into big risks with mentioning a time if they (as usual) no meet it. Anyway, I am super excited and just can't believe that they manage this so fast. I LOVE AP and it's the best thing ever even the way it is now. I can only dream what our Model 3 will be :)

Holding back hardware 2.0 would lead to steadily increasing S/X sales resistance as more and more customer wait for the obvious upgrade. I still can't believe that Tesla was able to sell 25000 cars last quarter with the old hardware.

The good news is not level 5, but:

1) A hardware platform that allows Tesla to continue to push out improvements, and
2) Proving the most challenging piece of model 3 development even before the new car is launched.

Not having a few automatic features for a few months is no biggie, IMO. These new cars will be much safer over the life of the car.

Reactions: Brando

Remember that anyone "buying now" won't get delivery until December or later, which might be long enough for the software to roll out. The first people to have AP2.0 are not those who knew their cars were getting the hardware!