Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought a "raven" Model S in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Continued from previous post about picking up the S Monday last week (30/9/19).

So we took off from Brisbane on 1 October to the first stop – Coffs Harbour. Left with 96% charge and arrived with 11%. The Coffs Harbour supercharger is very, very conveniently placed 20 seconds drive off the highway in a major shopping centre. We were the only ones there beside a model 3 who was obviously testing the ropes.

We had lunch and went for a walk/toilet break. The car was charged before we were ready. First supercharge with the Tesla was a great success! In fact, this was a theme of the whole trip – when we needed to charge the car was ready to go before we were.

We then barreled down the highway to Port Macquarie. No need to supercharge there as we stayed there overnight at the Koala Tree Motel in Port Macquarie. Web site here: Motel Port Macquarie Accommodation - Koala Tree Motel

It has two destination chargers so we just plugged it in (phone in advance so the car park was available). The hotel itself is basic but perfectly serviceable and is also pet friendly too. We had dogs with us so it was nice to find a place that is pet friendly with destination chargers at 22Kw. Full charge in the morning.

So, we went from Brisbane to Port Macquarie with one Supercharge. Same as what we would do in an ICE car.

This was the first day of driving the car so we were sorting it all out. Wow Autopilot makes highway driving awesome. On this leg we were on v9 software without FSD. I meant to ring Tesla today to order FSD but forgot in all the excitement. So no auto lane change. Apart from that autopilot is just amazing. We have a current model volvo XC60 which has a similar system but the Tesla system is just rock solid even at low speeds areas.

Observations about the Tesla Raven performance S made so far this day:

1) It is ungodly fast. This is very easy to achieve.

2) If you do not want it to react like a stallion with dynamite stuck in its butt (which it will if asked), that is perfectly OK by it too. On the highway it is simply an amazing cruiser. We had it in 110kph zones all the way and we did the same drive 6 months earlier in a coil sprung 2018 XC60 – so a pretty nice car – the Model S shat all over it in terms of comfort. The suspension is sublime. What are on most cars noisy concrete sections of highway get eaten up by the suspension – and this is on sports mode with 21” wheels. God knows how nice it would be with 19”s.

3) Range is amazing. Never even thought of as a slight issue. Brisbane to Coffs on one charge was startling. Made about 175KW/hr – not that I have a large reference point for if this is good but it seems to be. This included several spirited 0 – 100 km/hr + tests.

4) Comfort for kids in the back was great. There were two French bulldogs in the back too and none of them had any issue. Thumbs up for practicalities like two USB ports on the back so children can have their devices charged on long trips.

5) Luggage space. Well, it is huge. WAY WAY more than our SUV. It does not look like is, but the S has a huge amount of luggage space once you take into account the massive boot, plus the ‘underboot’ plus the frunk. Way more than I expected. More than we needed.

6) The silence. With the kids watching their ipads with headphones on, my wife and I only needed to whisper at each other to be heard. Even at 110km/hr (or maybe slightly more).

7) I have not owned a Tesla before but like most of you have religiously watched youtube videos for years so here are a few observations:

a. The facia around the big 17” screen is matt black rather than chrome as previously. I like it a lot.

b. The power meter goes up to 500KW/hr. In other videos it seems the max is 250KW/Hr.

c. There is alcantara in the door handles now where there was not before. The Alcantara in the dashboard has been removed and it the same feux leather as the rest of the dash.

d. Seats are Super comfortable

e. To be honest I would prefer a slightly smaller steering wheel both in terms of girth and circumference. Not a huge deal.

f. The steering wheel, like all the rest of the interior, is feux leather.

g. Ludicrous mode (and ludicrous plus mode) is now a simple toggle and can be on all the time rather than something you have to specifically activate (and no "I want my mommy" warning). This has now been relegated to an Easter egg if you want the “warp speed” thing appear on your screen – but it has no function. It seems Ludicrous mode is finally out of Beta.

h. The Raven Model S and X (I believe) have an updated version (E) of the 100KW battery pack which is different to its predecessors – you can see this from under the car. What the differences are exactly I have no idea – if anyone does know let me know!

i. Unsurprising, it has V3 Autopilot hardware. Mine was manufactured 15 July 2019.

Day 2.

This was, by far, the most fun I have had driving in a car in my life. That is a combination of the amazingness of the car and also the incredible route we ‘discovered’. Let me explain.

We started off around 6:30am in Port Macquarie. Previous experience has told us that travelling through Sydney (or even around it via the M7) during peak hour would likely produce a divorce. We wanted to avoid that.

So we noticed there was a Supercharger in the Upper Hunter and one at Bathurst. We decided to do a massive loop and avoid Sydney altogether. This proved to be a most excellent decision.

The run from Port Macquarie to the Supercharger at Hollydene winery (!!) was uneventful – nice motorway transferred into lovely highway and nice corners in the Hunter Valley. We stopped at the winery around 10:30am and ordered some food and (for me) non alcoholic drinks and relaxed on the well manicured lawns of the winery. The Supercharger parking get super priority here – not that it was a big issue on a Tuesday morning as we were the only ones there.

It was there that I remembered to ring Tesla to order FSD. So I did.

We left around 11:15 in another example of the charging being done before we were ready/wanted to go.

The road from there to Bathurst was pure driving heaven.

This is the route we took. Google Maps

It is 100km/hr the entire way. It is sealed the whole way. Every road surface you can imagine and every type of road from long fast bends to short sections of switch back. The model S ate it all up and asked for more. There many different types of fun ruddy parts at high speed and the suspension just glided on top of it but kept grip even in some quite extreme speeds and trajectories. The car is far far far better than I am as a driver. I was just grinning from ear to ear and every few minutes would let out childish laughter – it was that enjoyable.

The country being driven through is also spectacular (a lot of it is west of the Wollemi National Park). If anyone has a chance to drive on this road – just do it. It is amazing. The best 3 or so hours of driving I have ever had. What an experience. All in a 4 door family car.

We arrived at Bathurst Supercharger and had lunch. Chatted to another Tesla owner for a bit as well as the owner of a T8 XC90 Volvo plugging in for a charger at the NRMA connector.

We drove from Bathurst and stopped at Gundagai – not to charge but to get ‘supplies’ (alcohol) from the Woolworths. It was there that something really weird happened. I had the car parked and was in the driver’s seat when the car turned off spontaneously. It then came back on all by itself. When it came back on I got all sorts of warnings that a lot of the safety systems were turned off – anti skid, ABS, lane departure – you name it there was a warning. I still had about 20km to go so panicked a little!

I then turned the car off and on and all the warnings went away. We then successfully drove off and it was only then that I realised what had happened – with the car parked the FSD I ordered earlier in the day was activated on the car and it reboot to turn those features on. I now had access to summon and lane change assist while in autopilot was activated. You beauty!

We then drove onto our destination – Hillview Farm stay on the Hume Highway. We had stayed there before on a previous trip and I noted it had 2 destination charged and was pet friendly. Perfect! The kids got to feed chickens, run around on a big 4x4 to look at kangaroos in the morning and feed goats and alpacas and play tennis. Wife and I just drank champagne :D

Hillview

Day 3 –

Woke up to the car telling me an update was available! V10! A few hours after I had FSD turned on. So I waited for 30 minutes or so for it to download and 10 minutes for it to update and we then left.

Drove from Hillview Farmstay to Melbourne on the Hume stopping for just one supercharge - at Euroa. Impressive range again. As for an interesting driving story, well, it’s the Hume. Autopilot was amazing but extensive reports on how exciting it was won’t occur!

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
So envy, I’m waiting on a raven inventory deal.. maybe Q1 2020.. oh well, going to continue to enjoy my 75D meantime.

Also sounds like your interior is exactly the same as my 2019 version and the main difference is drivetrain and the suspension.

...Made about 175KW/hr...
b. The power meter goes up to 500KW/hr. In other videos it seems the max is 250KW/Hr.

An excellent review - thank you so much! Just a point of correction (I believe) because I can't help myself :rolleyes:: you would have averaged 175Wh/km which means you were using 175 Watt hours of electricity per km (175kW/hr means you would have drained your battery in about 34 minutes assuming it's 100kWh capacity o_O ). In a nutshell, watt-hours measure amounts of energy for a specific period of time, and watts measure rates of power at a moment in time. And I assume you meant that your power meter goes up to 500kW, which, if the orange dial hits that, means your car is drawing, at the moment it hits it, 500kW of power, which is completely ludicrous, and technically sustainable for <12 minutes haha

Anyway, I hope that was informative; thanks again for a fantastic review and motivation to save up for a Raven P100DL :D

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Novatec and rioli33
Actually (because I can't help myself) watt-hours (usually kWh) measures energy (time is irrelevant), while watts measures power (the rate of doing work).
So how much energy do I have / did I use / do I need / how much energy can my battery hold is in kWh;
How fast am I using energy / what is the power my car consumes (at any given moment) is in watts.
love,
David xxx

Reactions: Hovean
Actually (because I can't help myself) watt-hours (usually kWh) measures energy (time is irrelevant), while watts measures power (the rate of doing work).
So how much energy do I have / did I use / do I need / how much energy can my battery hold is in kWh;
How fast am I using energy / what is the power my car consumes (at any given moment) is in watts.
love,
David xxx
I wouldn't say time is irrelevant - it's literally part of the definition. For example, 1 kWh of energy could run something at 1000W for 1 hour, or it could run something at 500W for 2 hours, or 250W for 4 hours, or 2000W for 30 mins, etc. We measure speed as distance over time, and we do something similar when measuring energy - power over time.

I have found one thing I do not like about the car. When reversing at night the reverse camera is next to useless. I am yet to work out whether it is because the reverse light does not throw off enough light or the camera is not good in low light conditions but either way I have to reverse a bit, put on the brakes to illuminate the area, reverse a little bit more and rinse and repeat to get in my tight driveway.

It is perfectly fine during the day but at night awful.

I have found one thing I do not like about the car. When reversing at night the reverse camera is next to useless. I am yet to work out whether it is because the reverse light does not throw off enough light or the camera is not good in low light conditions but either way I have to reverse a bit, put on the brakes to illuminate the area, reverse a little bit more and rinse and repeat to get in my tight driveway.

you are right- I think I will take it in and complain about it- it's pretty useless at night, when you need it the most!

If the car is in creep mode you should be able to touch the brake just enough to get the lights on but not actually brake... which works provided you're not reversing up a slope o_O

I wouldn't say time is irrelevant - it's literally part of the definition. For example, 1 kWh of energy could run something at 1000W for 1 hour, or it could run something at 500W for 2 hours, or 250W for 4 hours, or 2000W for 30 mins, etc. We measure speed as distance over time, and we do something similar when measuring energy - power over time.

I've got to take issue with this sorry. Time is not part of the definition of energy and is irrelevant for measurements of energy. Energy is measured in Joules and power is measured in Watts. They are related by time where 1 Watt is equal to the expenditure of 1 Joule of energy over 1 second (1 W = 1 J/s). Kilowatt.hours are a convenience unit to allow us to think of energy in everyday quantities that we actually use because a Joule is a very small amount of energy and a second is a very short unit of time to think of energy consumption in a house or a car. So 1 Kilowatt.hour = 1000 Watts x 1 hour = (1000 Joule / 1 second) x 3600 seconds = 3,600,000 Joules. So the hour part of kilowatt.hour is there to cancel out the time unit of the Watt leaving it as a simple and timeless unit of energy. Whether that energy is expended over 1 millisecond or a billion years is irrelevant; it's still the same amount of energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Hovean
You list examples of why time is irrelevant.
1kWh is a unit of energy.
The amount of time it took to use that energy is irrelevant.

...Continued from previous post about picking up the S Monday last week (30/9/19).

So we took off from Brisbane on 1 October to the first stop – Coffs Harbour. Left with 96% charge and arrived with 11%. The Coffs Harbour supercharger is very, very conveniently placed 20 seconds drive off the highway in a major shopping centre. We were the only ones there beside a model 3 who was obviously testing the ropes.

We had lunch and went for a walk/toilet break. The car was charged before we were ready. First supercharge with the Tesla was a great success! In fact, this was a theme of the whole trip – when we needed to charge the car was ready to go before we were.

We then barreled down the highway to Port Macquarie. No need to supercharge there as we stayed there overnight at the Koala Tree Motel in Port Macquarie. Web site here: Motel Port Macquarie Accommodation - Koala Tree Motel

It has two destination chargers so we just plugged it in (phone in advance so the car park was available). The hotel itself is basic but perfectly serviceable and is also pet friendly too. We had dogs with us so it was nice to find a place that is pet friendly with destination chargers at 22Kw. Full charge in the morning.

So, we went from Brisbane to Port Macquarie with one Supercharge. Same as what we would do in an ICE car.

This was the first day of driving the car so we were sorting it all out. Wow Autopilot makes highway driving awesome. On this leg we were on v9 software without FSD. I meant to ring Tesla today to order FSD but forgot in all the excitement. So no auto lane change. Apart from that autopilot is just amazing. We have a current model volvo XC60 which has a similar system but the Tesla system is just rock solid even at low speeds areas.

Observations about the Tesla Raven performance S made so far this day:

1) It is ungodly fast. This is very easy to achieve.

2) If you do not want it to react like a stallion with dynamite stuck in its butt (which it will if asked), that is perfectly OK by it too. On the highway it is simply an amazing cruiser. We had it in 110kph zones all the way and we did the same drive 6 months earlier in a coil sprung 2018 XC60 – so a pretty nice car – the Model S shat all over it in terms of comfort. The suspension is sublime. What are on most cars noisy concrete sections of highway get eaten up by the suspension – and this is on sports mode with 21” wheels. God knows how nice it would be with 19”s.

3) Range is amazing. Never even thought of as a slight issue. Brisbane to Coffs on one charge was startling. Made about 175KW/hr – not that I have a large reference point for if this is good but it seems to be. This included several spirited 0 – 100 km/hr + tests.

4) Comfort for kids in the back was great. There were two French bulldogs in the back too and none of them had any issue. Thumbs up for practicalities like two USB ports on the back so children can have their devices charged on long trips.

5) Luggage space. Well, it is huge. WAY WAY more than our SUV. It does not look like is, but the S has a huge amount of luggage space once you take into account the massive boot, plus the ‘underboot’ plus the frunk. Way more than I expected. More than we needed.

6) The silence. With the kids watching their ipads with headphones on, my wife and I only needed to whisper at each other to be heard. Even at 110km/hr (or maybe slightly more).

7) I have not owned a Tesla before but like most of you have religiously watched youtube videos for years so here are a few observations:

a. The facia around the big 17” screen is matt black rather than chrome as previously. I like it a lot.

c. There is alcantara in the door handles now where there was not before. The Alcantara in the dashboard has been removed and it the same feux leather as the rest of the dash.

d. Seats are Super comfortable

e. To be honest I would prefer a slightly smaller steering wheel both in terms of girth and circumference. Not a huge deal.

f. The steering wheel, like all the rest of the interior, is feux leather.

g. Ludicrous mode (and ludicrous plus mode) is now a simple toggle and can be on all the time rather than something you have to specifically activate (and no "I want my mommy" warning). This has now been relegated to an Easter egg if you want the “warp speed” thing appear on your screen – but it has no function. It seems Ludicrous mode is finally out of Beta.

h. The Raven Model S and X (I believe) have an updated version (E) of the 100KW battery pack which is different to its predecessors – you can see this from under the car. What the differences are exactly I have no idea – if anyone does know let me know!

i. Unsurprising, it has V3 Autopilot hardware. Mine was manufactured 15 July 2019.

Day 2.

This was, by far, the most fun I have had driving in a car in my life. That is a combination of the amazingness of the car and also the incredible route we ‘discovered’. Let me explain.

We started off around 6:30am in Port Macquarie. Previous experience has told us that travelling through Sydney (or even around it via the M7) during peak hour would likely produce a divorce. We wanted to avoid that.

So we noticed there was a Supercharger in the Upper Hunter and one at Bathurst. We decided to do a massive loop and avoid Sydney altogether. This proved to be a most excellent decision.

The run from Port Macquarie to the Supercharger at Hollydene winery (!!) was uneventful – nice motorway transferred into lovely highway and nice corners in the Hunter Valley. We stopped at the winery around 10:30am and ordered some food and (for me) non alcoholic drinks and relaxed on the well manicured lawns of the winery. The Supercharger parking get super priority here – not that it was a big issue on a Tuesday morning as we were the only ones there.

It was there that I remembered to ring Tesla to order FSD. So I did.

We left around 11:15 in another example of the charging being done before we were ready/wanted to go.

The road from there to Bathurst was pure driving heaven.

This is the route we took. Google Maps

It is 100km/hr the entire way. It is sealed the whole way. Every road surface you can imagine and every type of road from long fast bends to short sections of switch back. The model S ate it all up and asked for more. There many different types of fun ruddy parts at high speed and the suspension just glided on top of it but kept grip even in some quite extreme speeds and trajectories. The car is far far far better than I am as a driver. I was just grinning from ear to ear and every few minutes would let out childish laughter – it was that enjoyable.

The country being driven through is also spectacular (a lot of it is west of the Wollemi National Park). If anyone has a chance to drive on this road – just do it. It is amazing. The best 3 or so hours of driving I have ever had. What an experience. All in a 4 door family car.

We arrived at Bathurst Supercharger and had lunch. Chatted to another Tesla owner for a bit as well as the owner of a T8 XC90 Volvo plugging in for a charger at the NRMA connector.

We drove from Bathurst and stopped at Gundagai – not to charge but to get ‘supplies’ (alcohol) from the Woolworths. It was there that something really weird happened. I had the car parked and was in the driver’s seat when the car turned off spontaneously. It then came back on all by itself. When it came back on I got all sorts of warnings that a lot of the safety systems were turned off – anti skid, ABS, lane departure – you name it there was a warning. I still had about 20km to go so panicked a little!

I then turned the car off and on and all the warnings went away. We then successfully drove off and it was only then that I realised what had happened – with the car parked the FSD I ordered earlier in the day was activated on the car and it reboot to turn those features on. I now had access to summon and lane change assist while in autopilot was activated. You beauty!

We then drove onto our destination – Hillview Farm stay on the Hume Highway. We had stayed there before on a previous trip and I noted it had 2 destination charged and was pet friendly. Perfect! The kids got to feed chickens, run around on a big 4x4 to look at kangaroos in the morning and feed goats and alpacas and play tennis. Wife and I just drank champagne :D

Hillview

Day 3 –

Woke up to the car telling me an update was available! V10! A few hours after I had FSD turned on. So I waited for 30 minutes or so for it to download and 10 minutes for it to update and we then left.

Drove from Hillview Farmstay to Melbourne on the Hume stopping for just one supercharge - at Euroa. Impressive range again. As for an interesting driving story, well, it’s the Hume. Autopilot was amazing but extensive reports on how exciting it was won’t occur!

Happy to answer any questions.
Good thorough review. Your experience also shows the mindset change that australian’s need about charging. Most claim petrol filling is quicker. its not, its slower. If you charge as you have when the car is planned to not be in use, then charging has cost you no time at all, which is faster than a petrol fill.

Good thorough review. Your experience also shows the mindset change that australian’s need about charging. Most claim petrol filling is quicker. its not, its slower. If you charge as you have when the car is planned to not be in use, then charging has cost you no time at all, which is faster than a petrol fill.
Was talking to a colleague about EVs. He asked me about driving to Melbourne from Sydney. I said I usually stopped twice, once for lunch and once for a 20 minute charge. He said "Seems like the technology isn't ready yet".
Almost hilarious!
I told him that once or twice a year it took an hour longer to go to Melbourne (most of which is eating lunch) but every single week he has to go home via a service station, stand there filling, go in and pay.
All I do is plug in as I walk into the house. Takes 15 seconds.

However, if you are outside supercharger range, it currently does take way more planning for multi day trips than ICE cars simply because you can safely assume pretty much every town has a petrol station. You cannot assume every hotel has a 22 KW destination charger.

However, this has nothing to do with the 'technology' as you mate says - just getting critical mass so hotels see this as the way to attract customers. That will come. 100 years ago there was not the ubiquity of petrol stations either.

If you are supercharger range, it doesn't matter. It's so quick.