Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought a "raven" Model S in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, if you are outside supercharger range, it currently does take way more planning for multi day trips than ICE cars simply because you can safely assume pretty much every town has a petrol station. You cannot assume every hotel has a 22 KW destination charger.

However, this has nothing to do with the 'technology' as you mate says - just getting critical mass so hotels see this as the way to attract customers. That will come. 100 years ago there was not the ubiquity of petrol stations either.

If you are supercharger range, it doesn't matter. It's so quick.
Yes, it can be restrictive if your destination is well off the beaten track.
I just think people over-estimate how many road trips they really do, and how much range they really need.

He just shrugged. I think he got the idea.

Did you ask, 'How often do you drive from Melbourne to Sydney without stopping for something to eat or a cup of coffee?' While technically it could be done I suppose (assuming a very large bladder) it would not be pleasant, I'd only do it if I absolutely had to. My trip Syd->Mel took 5 days and was very pleasant. If I wanted to do it in 8 hours, I would fly.

Sydney to Melbourne in a Tesla is an absolute doddle. Need to stop twice. Both times the car will be ready before you are.

In fact, Melbourne to Brisbane via the Pacific Highway/Hume is a doddle. And with Autopilot you arrive fresher than you would in any other car. I have done that trip dozens of times in my life, including in April with a late model Euro diesel that is around 900km/tank. So about as good as ICE cars get in terms of comfort and distance between fill ups. With the Tesla in October it was the easiest drive I have ever done of those dozens of trips, by a MASSIVE margin.

Last edited:
That is amazing. I'm averaging 202Wh/km on a pre-Raven 100D with 15000km on the clock. Still get 500km+ of real world range, but that Raven is sure looking attractive.
yeah, smithy, I find it nearly unbelievable, actually. I'm driving Sydney-Canberra return on Sunday- will be very interesting to see if the Model 3 motor that helps around town is as effective at freeway speeds.

Sydney to Melbourne in a Tesla is an absolute doddle. Need to stop twice. Both times the car will be ready before you are.

In fact, Melbourne to Brisbane via the Pacific Highway/Hume is a doddle. And with Autopilot you arrive fresher than you would in any other car. I have done that trip dozens of times in my life, including in April with a late model Euro diesel that is around 900km/tank. So about as good as ICE cars get in terms of comfort and distance between fill ups. With the Tesla in October it was the easiest drive I have ever done of those dozens of trips, by a MASSIVE margin.
I’ve done it in my Model S half a dozen times. Far more pleasant than previous trips with ICE cars.
Leave home with 100% and have lunch at Gundagai. Car does all the driving.

4800km on it and 208Wh/Km. Took it across the whole length of the Great Alpine Road on the weekend too so a fair bit of elevation. About 2/3 of that is lots of highway driving at 110 km/hr so....I guess that explains it? Mine is tuck on ludicrous not ludicrous +.

Around town it is about 160Wh/Km - a fair chunk of that is terms of time with the car but not km percentage..

I had it on range mode for about 100 km but it did not seem to do much except make the air con inadequate.

I expect my overall figure will come down as my percentage of highway driving comes down compared to the overall and my urge to floor it every time I am at the front a a set of lights dies down. ;D

..will be nice to get our 3% performance increase in the next software patch. Cause it's so slow now....hahahahaha

I expect that in city driving/commuting having regen stay until 0% is going to really improve efficiency too.

Apparrently in the earnings call earlier in the week Elon said:

"...basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

5% for the model 3 and 3% for the S and X...

Yeah, might move the Model S range to almost 380 or high 370s with the update".

Did the Sydney-Southern Highlands return today.
Fairly brisk. Five people + two heavy medium suitcases.
A/C on the whole way (low fan).
Averaged 169Wh/km, so lends weight to the hypothesis that the Raven is more efficient than its predecessor, but more markedly so around town.
Who knows what it might have been without A/C the whole time??
Predicted range with all those conditions: bang on 600km.
Grenadine- could you feel your vision go a bit dark? A full-on launch is fully mental. And it doesn't let up until The Law says you have to!

I did it twice in a row. I got a headache. (Srsly). It is fkn nuts.
Yours sounds like a good trip!
yes, nuts it is.
A good trip, the Tesla is a great GT; you get out much more refreshed when AP does most of the work. And the Canberra road is one of the best highways in NSW- good surface compared to my usual. The car was very quiet- just a flutter of wind noise at the top of the windscreen. The mirrors seem quiet cf old model. And Spotify blaring :)
(Why do some drivers drive RIGHT UP YOUR BACKSIDE when there is a queue of traffic?
I feel like naming and shaming....)

now imagine a plaid S ... then imagine a plaid roadster!! ;-)
Then a plaid roadster with the Space X package.

I did it twice in a row. I got a headache. (Srsly). It is fkn nuts.

The reason for the headache is because you are pulling well over 1G and it takes a while for the body to adjust. Handy for preparation for space travel.

Reactions: Hairyman