Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS tires yet? 70k warranty!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I have had the Pirelli P7 Cinturato tires on 19" Rial "turbine replica" rims for 2 weeks now

Pros

Should last 4x as long as my Factory Continental summer tires on 21" Rims
Cost is a little over half as much per tire as the Contis too
Ride is smoother and more comfortable - wife approves
Range is improved (average 350 wH/mi on Contis - average 320 wH/mi on Pirelli P7)
Less fear of curbing rims, much less fear of pothole damage
Can change steering from Standard to Sport to maintain ballpark feel of the car
Will be much better in cold/sleet/snow

Cons

Push the pedal down too quickly and the traction control goes off
Cannot attain full performance of vehicle as designed in acceleration from a stop
May have slightly longer braking distance as well on dry pavement / warm days

Last edited:
I agree with the pro/con list as well, but I will note that while I lose traction off the line, my sense is that it isn't as severe on my P85D as it is on a P85, most likely because it's spread across 4 tires vs 2.

My initial reason for switching was for the range improvement. However the smooth and quiet ride is very nice.

I agree with the pro/con list as well, but I will note that while I lose traction off the line, my sense is that it isn't as severe on my P85D as it is on a P85, most likely because it's spread across 4 tires vs 2.

My initial reason for switching was for the range improvement. However the smooth and quiet ride is very nice.

Thanks for posting. I was thinking that it might work better on the "D" due to the "pull" from the front end.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with those cons. If I had to do over again, I wouldn't have bought the P7s. The car is just too high performance for those tires (I have a P85).

I agree, but I think I am OK with it for 6 months out of the year when the road conditions will often not support full performance in any event.

Has anyone had much experience with ExtremeContact DWS 06? Seems the "06" variant is an improved version of the regular DWS based on ratings.

Is that a better all season option that the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus? Just looking for the absolutely best option for dry, wet, and snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=E550 4Matic Sedan&autoModClar=Standard Model

Looks great. You would give up some range and longevity for performance (vs. P7), but at least get all season capability. Might be a good enough set of attributes to drop the summer/winter tire rotations that I am now on. Impressive.

Probably deserves a whole new thread!

By the ratings on the Tire Rack comparison chart, the Pirelli matches or excels in every category against the Michelin or the Continental. It seems like an easy call. I need new shoes at 30K miles on my S85. You guys don't really seem too happy with the P7s. Please talk me into or out of them. I'm confused.

I had wondered if traction would be less of a problem on the dual motor cars. Could you describe what a launch feels like with these tires on your P85D? How much worse is it than with the OEM tires?

By the ratings on the Tire Rack comparison chart, the Pirelli matches or excels in every category against the Michelin or the Continental. It seems like an easy call. I need new shoes at 30K miles on my S85. You guys don't really seem too happy with the P7s. Please talk me into or out of them. I'm confused.
The problems here are that those ratings aren't a statistically valid sample and different size tires frequently have different abilities. This is especially true if a particular car has most of the market for a particular tire size.

I think the P7s have many benefits and some drawbacks. The drawbacks may be less pronounced in the S85 than the P85.

Like with all things, there are tradeoffs. It really depends how important it is to you that you can "stick a full pedal launch at a green light". If you can live without that, then there are many benefits to these tires. I am not dissatisfied at all. You just have to know what you are getting, and what you are giving up.

I think the P7s have many benefits and some drawbacks. The drawbacks may be less pronounced in the S85 than the P85.

Like with all things, there are tradeoffs. It really depends how important it is to you that you can "stick a full pedal launch at a green light". If you can live without that, then there are many benefits to these tires. I am not dissatisfied at all. You just have to know what you are getting, and what you are giving up.

What we need is someone with the right tools to swap the wheels on our cars this weekend. The trip to the Greenville Supercharger and back will let us evaluate the Eagles on your P85 and the P7s on my S85. :)

It really depends how important it is to you that you can "stick a full pedal launch at a green light". If you can live without that, then there are many benefits to these tires. I am not dissatisfied at all. You just have to know what you are getting, and what you are giving up.

That's not where I lose traction with the P7. It is usually when doing an aggressive turn and acceleration.

Now that I understand the Tire Rack ratings chart is based on subjective feedback by random people buying these tires, I really pay very little attention to those ratings. Seriously think about all the performance and handling ratings for a certain tire that might have been made by people driving Toyotas and Hondas. And I don't mean to be disrespectful here but the point being those vehicles are unlikely ever to really challenge the performance or handling envelop of most tires.

I wish Tire Rack had a scientific and professional ratings attached to each tire with measurements taken under dry, wet, and snow conditions. I'd like to see a scientific test with ratings based on an actual test...

I finally got the Pirelli P7 and so pretty happy with it. Grip seems just fine. Maybe it's a little less than the Goodyear or Primacy MXM, but my driving style is not testing out any limits. The Michelin lasted 60k miles for me so these Pirelli tires should last at least that long.