Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone bought/planning to buy Matts swivel screen mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
I'm curious to see if anyone has bought or is planning to buy Matt Schumers swivel screen mount?
He's the "Tech Forum" gut on youTube
Wondering about what you think of it and perhaps clubbing together with prospective byers to reduce customs and shipping costs?

I for one find it difficult, at full reach, to control my finger whilst going over bumps trying to press something on the left hand side of the screen. Especially difficult if you can't use autopilot as I can't 70% of the time. If I can, with this screen mount, have the screen closer, steady my hand on the edge of the screen and make it easier to select something on the left hand side of the screen it will be with it. Even trying to select fog lights gets interesting when you have to reach for the "button" and you've just gone into a bank of fog on a country road in the dark.

I personally like this kit. I am not a fan of touchscreen only UI. I find it dangerous as you have to focus on it much more when using it compared to physical buttons or a controller. I loved the iDrive on the BMWs and wished Tesla could have implemented something similar just behind the cup holders whilst moving the cup holder forward a tad. A few times I have found myself wondering off line in my lane whilst trying to change between radio, phone or spotify or even just adjusting the temperature or the vents. I do find it quite a reach to get to the left hand side of the screen specially the compass to center the map again.Having auto steer on helps, but only if you are on relatively straight stretch of road.

I also watch Netflix quite a bit when I am having a break either when travelling or popping out to grab something to eat for lunch. I generally find myself leaning over the armrest to center myself to the screen to reduce glare especially when it is sunny out. Having the screen tilted towards me would be useful.

Version 1 didn't interest me, it doesn't work for RH drive and didn't pivot on demand. Version 2 addresses both of these issues, however the cost is a little steep.

Insane amount of work in that, what I would like to see is a vertical mount and software hack to give you speed display slightly higher up and closer to eye line. If vertical, the screen could also angle in to driver a bit without worrying about “knuckles”.

Ditch Netflix/games and focus on the driver, would also give great real estate for Nav in “direction of travel” 3D mode.

I for one find it difficult, at full reach, to control my finger whilst going over bumps trying to press something on the left hand side of the screen. Especially difficult if you can't use autopilot as I can't 70% of the time. If I can, with this screen mount, have the screen closer, steady my hand on the edge of the screen and make it easier to select something on the left hand side of the screen it will be with it. Even trying to select fog lights gets interesting when you have to reach for the "button" and you've just gone into a bank of fog on a country road in the dark.
I don't understand why people need to touch the screen so much while driving - my wife & I press the right scroll button & use voice control for almost everything - turn on/off a/c, set fan speed to xx, set wiper speed to yy, turn on/off fog lights etc etc - it seems to work really well for us so the driver never needs the distraction of touching the screen (EXCEPT when the car loses LTE connection)

Use the link Tesla Voice Commands & scan the barcode to your phone - it shows working voice commands by category and if you use the correct phrasing it seems to work every time (or check afterwards if something you tried didn't)

I'm curious to see if anyone has bought or is planning to buy Matt Schumers swivel screen mount?
He's the "Tech Forum" gut on youTube
Wondering about what you think of it and perhaps clubbing together with prospective byers to reduce customs and shipping costs?

Not bought the mount, but just noticed your forum user name! Ex LATCC/LACC in Terminal Control here.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I suppose I could use exSwanwick/ATFMU/Aberdeen as well as a few more. I know there are at least 2 more on here current as well as ex's.

Doesn't surprise me if there's a few current given the lease scheme and advantages. I know quite a few folk at Swanwick who are now leasing. Scottish and Heathrow were my route to West Drayton and beyond, it's a small world :)

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Doesn't surprise me if there's a few current given the lease scheme and advantages. I know quite a few folk at Swanwick who are now leasing. Scottish and Heathrow were my route to West Drayton and beyond, it's a small world :)
Funny, when Tesla first came to Swanwick, I'd already left for Aberdeen. I saw the announcement on the intranet. I remember thinking, I'll never be able to afford one if them even with the leasing scheme. Strange how things work out.

Reactions: Masklin
Big omission... sorely missed in recent continual pilgrimages:

CANCEL LANE CHANGE

No safety issues of you are happy following slower traffic or indeed preparing to pass slower traffic out of the cars forward view.

I'd also like EJECT CHAFF for tailgating idiot MBs/BMWs but I expect I'll be waiting a long time for that :)

Great list of Voice Commands, I’ll enjoy playing with those.