Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone buy a rebuilt X that’s rooted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m seriously looking at a 2017 model X that was hit on one side looks like no damage to battery or protection cover
It’s rooted and has everything turned on at this point when I test drove it
Which they claim is better than having Tesla approve it because then you never know when they’re going to cancel that.
Anyone have suggestions as to what should be carefully inspected?
I used to rebuild cars so I have quite a bit experience with frame damage and replacing major body panels… That said the Tesla scares me a little bit

There's a recent post where someone bought a used Model 3 from a dealership (non-Tesla). The dealership disclosed that the vehicle had prior damage, but it turned out that it was actually salvaged... and Tesla disabled the car's VIN from accessing the SuperCharger network. AFAIK, that's a permanent decision... at least for now.

So... if you can test-drive this Model X in-person, I'd take it to a SuperCharger and ensure that it can DC fast-charge.

One more thing... I don't see any way that you can verify with Tesla that this vehicle being rooted hasn't already become a problem.

For instance, it could be "marked" in some way by Tesla as known rooted, and that could somehow pose a problem down the road (perhaps getting service from Tesla, perhaps with software updates). You can't really just ask Tesla this without creating the problem.

I'd rather *not* have my Tesla rooted.