Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone buy eves adapters Tesla plug extension cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has bought this NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters. It looks pretty cool, but haven't seen one review. Trying to plan my adapter set for the car and seems maybe just using this and adapters with the mobile connector would work best. One of the thoughts about going this route is I'm afraid of needing multiple extension cords because 14-50, 6-50, tt30, etc don't all seem to easily be converted or would need a nest of converters to use with a single extension cable. I'd like to be able to charge at camp sites and the occasional dryer at a friends house.

There's a standard warning from everyone on this forum about how your manual says to not use extension cords with your Tesla. This is because of connections, wire gauge, and the potential for error.

With all of that said, Evse adapters makes some of the best stuff around. If you need something like this, they are definitely the place to go.

There's a standard warning from everyone on this forum about how your manual says to not use extension cords with your Tesla. This is because of connections, wire gauge, and the potential for error.

With all of that said, Evse adapters makes some of the best stuff around. If you need something like this, they are definitely the place to go.
This is an extension cord that extends the reach of the Tesla charging cable. Each Tesla Extension cord is built to order. The standard lengths are 19' (32A rated), 20' (50A rated) and 50' (50A rated) Custom lengths are available. Prices start at $299 US. The Tesla Extension cord has a female Tesla charging connector on one end and a male Tesla charging connector on the other end that plugs into the Tesla vehicle's charging port. The Tesla Extension cable can be used with either the Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector. The Tesla Extension cord is not compatible with the Tesla Supercharger charging station.

Last edited:
I would not use an extension cord for daily charging.
However on trips you may need to use one. For continuous use the max you should set the current (if it isn't automatically set) is 80% of rated but to be able to not worry and sleep well at night I suggest setting things another 10-20% lower. Eg. if you are using a 30a extension cord the max continuous draw is 24a so due to the extra connections and possible increased resistance set your current to ~18a. It is still way way faster than a NEMA 5-15.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
I have two Gen2 24ft wall connectors. One is in a garage (30A circuit) and can reach both cars as well as in front of the garage, all good, no extensions. The other (different house) I have a Wall Connector mounted on the corner of the house (40A circuit). It's a very old house I plan to tear down. It's next to an old garage I plan to keep/restore. I don't want to spend money for a new service or power out to garage since it's all going to get replaced. So, for now, I'm just going to extend the Wall Charger cord. It would cost $1000's to move the Wall Connector out proper, to the garage, which I will eventually do. I was parking outside charging at this location. But the car is getting trashed with sap and pine needles. I just started parking in the garage and it's great. So I want to charge it while in there. The garage has 8ft carriage doors and I didn't think I could get it in, turns out I can fairly easily fit it with with mirrors folded. Once in, the space is huge and I can open the FWD and rear hatch fully :)

So I just ordered the 50A 20ft extension. $349. I could probably get by with 32A but I want the extra margin.

BTW I almost bought a Telsa to J1772 adapter $149 (already have one and works fantastic for my wife's Volt) and a J1772 extension cord (40A) for $200. And use the Tesla supplied J1772 to Tesla adapter. Same total cost. This would add 3 extra connections. Where the above solution would only add one. Every connection adds another point of failure. All connections would be in the garage with either solution (nothing exposed to the elements). I'm only running at 32A load so I'm not to worried about the long runs (44 ft). The Wall connector I think can go to 80A?, I forget and the extension will be rated at 50A. Might have got away with 10ft, but that might be cutting it too tight.

I agree generally with comments to avoid extensions before or after the (mobile/wall) connector if at all possible. This is the simplest/cheapest/safest temporary solution for me.

Last edited:
Good news and bad news.

When I ordered the extension from EVES it said something like 1-2 weeks "back order". It gave the impression that they were made to order.
I waited 3 weeks and called them. They said they are on "back order" won't arrive until mid august. But there are newer designed ones due at the end of August. So I canceled the order (which they were very expedient at).

So I went with Plan B. I bought the Lectron 20ft 40A J1772 extension from Amazon Prime for $159.00.
I had the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter already and was very happy with it (very well made and has worked flawlessly).

The extension was made just like the adapter. Extremely well put together and the cable feels a lot like the 80A cord on the Gen 2 Wall Connector.
Plug it all in and nuttin. It also failed to work using just the Tesla to J1772 and the Tesla J1772 adapter (no extension).

Then for grins I tried it on the UMC and it worked. I only had the 120V 15A pig tail. So was it working at lower current (15A), Level 1 (120V) or did UMC talk differently? So I dig around the internet and I stumbled into a thread I started a while back when I was looking for the Tesla to J1772 adapter.

Charge Compatibility with a Volt (post 31 by @CCIE )

Bingo !!! It's working perfect now and starts charging instantly.

One tiny annoyance is, there is no button to open the charge door. Every connection is locked, and safety triggers enabled (if you push the button on any latch, charging stops immediately). I'm so glad I bought the Gen 2 Wall Connector (New off Ebay long after Gen 3 was available). I suspect the Gen3 might not have that legacy dip switch. I also could not do what I wanted without the 24ft lead, I'm using every inch to get just inside the garage (no connection is exposed to the elements). Then the extension from there to the car.

So in summary you need this (I bought these both on Amazon).

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - For Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger (White)
+
Lectron 20ft/6m J1772 Extension Cable Compatible with All J1772 EV Chargers - Flexible Charging for Your Vehichles
+
Tesla J1772 to Tesla adapter that came with the car.
+
Tesla Gen 2 wall connector in Legacy mode (UMC also works)

I can also charge my wife's Volt when we take her car, which is rare.

Note: This is for temporary use. Eventually I will have the Wall Connector moved to the garage.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone has bought this NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters. It looks pretty cool, but haven't seen one review. Trying to plan my adapter set for the car and seems maybe just using this and adapters with the mobile connector would work best. One of the thoughts about going this route is I'm afraid of needing multiple extension cords because 14-50, 6-50, tt30, etc don't all seem to easily be converted or would need a nest of converters to use with a single extension cable. I'd like to be able to charge at camp sites and the occasional dryer at a friends house.

I came to the same conclusion -- mobile EVSE with pigtail to the outlet, and if needed extension cord from the EVSE to the car.

I was thinking about an extension cord with J1772 plug and outlet ends but that will only really work with a non-Tesla EVSE and then the wall adapters are a lot less elegant.

I've used a J1772 extension from QC Charge - Home for years - first with my LEAF now with my Y. I use it as I installed my EVSE 'deep' in my garage but now like to park with the charge ports of the vehicles out by the door... so my EVSE cord doesn't reach.

I will note that I never charge more than 30amp and my extension cord is listed at 40Amp. Most of the time I lower my Y charge rate to 20A.

It would be better to move the EVSE.

Reactions: davewill