Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Buy Modern Spare Tire Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Page 172 of the owners manual states:

"Tesla Roadside Assistance is available to you, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for the duration of your warranty period."
If I am for example in California, at the Yosemite National Park, the closest Tesla service center is in Fresno, about 100 miles or 3 hours drive.

So, if you have a flat tire and you don't have a spare:
1) would it be faster to get your car transported on a flatbed to a Tesla service center, to get a new tire?
2) or would it be faster to wait for a service center coming to your car with a new wheel and tire?
3) or have your own spare, but lose some room in your trunk?

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot
What about the "Tire Repair Kit" - ? We bought one of those from Tesla.com for $80. We have a pump in every car, including our M3. Great for topping off tire pressure (we've only had to do that once in 11 months); it also has sealant in case of a puncture (I think I read it's good for 180 miles before replacing the tire(s)...?) If I have more damage than a puncture, there might be other issues anyway. This works for us!

What about the "Tire Repair Kit" - ? We bought one of those from Tesla.com for $80. We have a pump in every car, including our M3. Great for topping off tire pressure (we've only had to do that once in 11 months); it also has sealant in case of a puncture (I think I read it's good for 180 miles before replacing the tire(s)...?) If I have more damage than a puncture, there might be other issues anyway. This works for us!

A tire patch kit would too and a pump, however if you bent your wheels or take a cut to sidewall the "tire repair kit" is useless. While not common there were a few posts on FB groups of that happening to them. They were able to wait for Tesla roadside to help, but my point is it does happen.

What about the "Tire Repair Kit" - ? We bought one of those from Tesla.com for $80.
We have a pump in every car, including our M3.
Great for topping off tire pressure (we've only had to do that once in 11 months);
it also has sealant in case of a puncture
(I think I read it's good for 180 miles before replacing the tire(s)...?)
If I have more damage than a puncture, there might be other issues anyway. This works for us!
$80 - Tesla Model S/X/3 - Tire Repair Kit
Includes:
1 x bottle of sealant
1 x air compressor
1 x inflation needle
1 x tapered nozzle
1 x Tesla storage bag​

Honestly, in the case of a nail puncture, the sealant spray included in the repair kit
would be useless because Tesla tires have acoustic foam so the sealant cannot reach the puncture,
and using a sealant would make the tire not repairable.

I would recommend getting a Tire Plug Kit (and some plier tool to remove the nail)

Note: If you plan doing a long trip away from your home or any Tesla service center,
because the tires used by Tesla are specific, my recommendation would be to have
a spare tire and bring the punctured tire to get repaired.

715JSF5MAxL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

61bOXTSI8tL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I was able to mount it right under the speaker shelf using two tie-down ratchet straps
spare-tire-mounted-under-speaker-shelf-jpg.423291

Thank you for giving the idea, I also installed my spare tire under the speaker shelf.
This make accessing the rear trunk well more easily.

Central view of the straps

Model 3 - Spare Inside Trunk  1 - Center .jpg

Right side of the straps mounting

Model 3 - Spare Inside Trunk  2 - Right .jpg

Spare tire installed

Model 3 - Spare Inside Trunk  3 - Straps .jpg

Normally fine without having a spare, but I'm doing a trip into a more remote area where I'd like to have one.
Saw the Modern Spare kit:

2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 Complete Kit - Modern Spare

Anyone have this?
I'm also probably going to get a patch kit (already have the Tesla repair kit), anyone have a suggestion for one?

Looks impressively professional and solid for the price. Thanks for sharing the link - I've never see that. Some of those aluminum scissors jacks can go for $90-200 all by themselves.

Approximately how much does your spare tire weigh ?
Good question. I have the Emergency Space Saver. It's a 155/70-18 tire, the total spare weight is 37 lbs (17 kg).

It is not too difficult to install, you only need to incline the spare about 30 degree to pass the straps under the wheel
and hold the wheel with one hand, while using the ratchet with the other hand. By putting your elbows on the trunk floor ,
it's almost effortless. The most difficult is to lift the spare from the floor and putting it into the trunk.

To give you an idea, if use a bench press at the gym, the typical weight plates are 35 lbs and 45 lbs.

>> $30 Scissor Jack 1.5 Tons(3,307 lbs)
>> $33 Scissor Jack 2 Tons (4,409 lbs)
>> Note There is a $10 for getting TruLift 2.0T Scissor Jack Upgrade For Complete Spare Tire Kit

2 problems with those.
Those are steel not aluminum (much heavier)
and secondly the top of the Jack will not safely latch to the frame rail donut hole lift points.
You probably have to take that top steel piece off and secure some version of a rubber pin to securely latch to the donut hole.
At home for doing tire rotation I use a JEGS 80006 2 T. low-profile aluminum floor jack, the total weight is 50 lbs or 22 kg

JEGS 80006 4000lb Low-Profile Aluminum Floor Jack  .jpg
but for road emergency I carry the following jacks: (They fit nicely inside an older laptop bag with my lug wrench and torque wrench)

- To lift the front, I use an aluminium 1.5 T from an Audi TT, I added a hockey puck, the total weight is 3 lbs or 1.4 kg

1.5TAlu3lbsClosed .jpg 1.5TAlu3lbsOpened .jpg

- To lift the rear, I use a metal 2 T scissor jack (mentioned above) I added a hockey puck, the total weight is 6 lbs or 3 kg
2.TMetal6LbsClosed.jpg 2.TMetal6LbsOpened .jpg

Note: I removed the existing rail support and fixed a hockey puck.

2.TMetalPugDetail .jpg

I also carry two 12" x 12" pieces of plywood to put under the scissors jacks in case I am above muddy ground.

Last edited:
Since the Bimmerzone compact spare and the ModernTire compact spare are roughly the same cost, but are different sizes and different rubber, Maxxis vs Pirelli, are there any reasons to choose one over the other?

spare-tire-mounted-under-speaker-shelf-jpg.423291

Thank you for giving the idea, I also installed my spare tire under the speaker shelf.
This make accessing the rear trunk well more easily.

Central view of the straps

View attachment 424039

Right side of the straps mounting

View attachment 424042

Spare tire installed

View attachment 424044

I like your setup...
I have some questions:
How did you get the green straps through those holes and where did you get them or part #?
Also what part # for the ratchet straps?
What’s the width of that whole tire ?
Thank you in advance and for posting this

Since the Bimmerzone compact spare and the ModernTire compact spare are roughly the same cost,
but are different sizes and different rubber, Maxxis vs Pirelli, are there any reasons to choose one over the other?

I have the Bimmerzone, I like better the design of the wheel with inserted holes notches with precise drilling manufacturing,
and an included ring to center the wheel. The rim seems safer if I need to drive for a long distance at 50 miles per hour.
Also I didn't needed the tools provided with the ModernTire kit.
BIM-SST-TESLA-3-KIT-02.jpg

I have the Tesla 19" wheels, so I don't know if this spare would fit a Performance Model 3.
I made some measurements, so you could compare with your own wheels.
In the case of the LR AWD, the front disks are smaller, I wonder if this is also the case with the Performance?

Wheel Maker: FOMOCO A1Si7M9 (Ford Motor Company)
REF Number: FR3C-1007-KB
Model: DMLRA M1

Tire: MAXXIS T155 / 70 R18 112M
Inflated 420 kPa (60 PSI)
Max Load: 1120 kg - 2469 LBS

M3 Spare Measurements.jpg

M3 Spare Inside Rim.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I like your setup...
I have some questions:
How did you get the green straps through those holes and where did you get them or part #?
Also what part # for the ratchet straps?
What’s the width of that whole tire ?
Thank you in advance and for posting this

The straps had hooks that I just shoved into any open holes. I don't have a part number for the straps, got them from a local liquidation place. Are you looking for the width of just the wire or the whole thing including the case?