Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Buy Modern Spare Tire Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Bimmerzone, I like better the design of the wheel with inserted holes notches with precise drilling manufacturing,
and an included ring to center the wheel. The rim seems safer if I need to drive for a long distance at 50 miles per hour.
Also I didn't needed the tools provided with the ModernTire kit.
BIM-SST-TESLA-3-KIT-02.jpg

I have the Tesla 19" wheels, so I don't know if this spare would fit a Performance Model 3.
I made some measurements, so you could compare with your own wheels.
In the case of the LR AWD, the front disks are smaller, I wonder if this is also the case with the Performance?

Wheel Maker: FOMOCO A1Si7M9 (Ford Motor Company)
REF Number: FR3C-1007-KB
Model: DMLRA M1

Tire: MAXXIS T155 / 70 R18 112M
Inflated 420 kPa (60 PSI)
Max Load: 1120 kg - 2469 LBS

View attachment 444166

View attachment 444159
Thanks for all that info! I do prefer the rim over the modernspare one. Do you have a Width measurement on the tire? Seems like the 155/70 would imply a slightly wider tire than the 135/80 of modernspare, or the Hyundai Genesis.

if i have another set of tires could i just carry around one of my off season wheels if i feel the need? like a long road trip? summer 9x20 and 10.5x20 and winter 19x9.5s. any issues with the widths/seasons being off? would obviously be an until my wheel is fixed scenario..

Reactions: TonyJag
Thanks for all that info! I do prefer the rim over the modernspare one.
Do you have a Width measurement on the tire?
Seems like the 155/70 would imply a slightly wider tire than the 135/80 of modernspare, or the Hyundai Genesis.
I see, you ask about the total profile width compare to the '155 mm' thread wear.
I will remove my tire later and take some more picture and measurements.

My issue was knowing if the spare would fit the M3 Performance, on the front or on the back.
Could someone make measurement of a 20" Tesla wheel, so this could help answering this point?

Note: The MAXXIS T155 / 70 R18 has a Max Load of 1120 kg or 2469 LBS.
I wounder what would be the load capacity of a smaller width tire?

I see, you ask about the total profile width compare to the '155 mm' thread wear.
I will remove my tire later and take some more picture and measurements.

My issue was knowing if the spare would fit the M3 Performance, on the front or on the back.
Could someone make measurement of a 20" Tesla wheel, so this could help answering this point?

Note: The MAXXIS T155 / 70 R18 has a Max Load of 1120 kg or 2469 LBS.
I wounder what would be the load capacity of a smaller width tire?
Turns out the smaller width Pirelli on the ModernSpare has the same load rating, which is much higher than the regular tire. The Maxxis and Pirelli have the same 112M rating. The Hyundai Genesis compact spare is a 104M, which is also higher than the regular tire, but not as high as the Maxxis and Pirelli. Since all 3 have the M-speed rating, they're all rated for 81mph max, but the Hyundai Genesis rim is labeled 50mph max. Basically, all these compact spares are 50mph tires, but technically can go 81mph.

Today I pulled the trigger on the Modern Spare full kit except for the carrying case (I can get one of those on Amazon for $15 or so). When it arrives, I'll have a spare, a tire repair kit, a 12V inflator, and a bicycle pump—locked and loaded.

On a recent trip, I often had no cell service.

Out of curiosity, I stopped at a Les Schwabb to price a spare, and they wanted $477.

With mine in the trunk I could not fit our two suitcases for a week's travel. I put the spare behind the front seat on the floor so we had the whole trunk.

Some will warn that in an accident, that tire could bounce around and be deadly. They have a point. Maybe being hit with your wife's huge suitcase would be preferable?

I had a full-size spare in my Leaf trunk for three years. Needed it once.

Reactions: house9
I built a kit for a previous car and was able to re-purpose that for my Model 3 with 19" wheel option nicely with a little DIY effort.

Maxxis T145/70R18 on Enkei Wheels, road-force balanced, nitrogen filled, with flat head 21mm M14x1.5 Lug nuts, a scissors jack, lug wrench and Tesla Jack Pad adapter --> Tesla DIY Geek 2nd blog post.

I used the actual kit to replace the wheel (didn't cheat with floor jack) and test drove it. Basically carry it on road trips along with a patch fix kit & pump.

Less circumference difference than original application and rated ~500lb more for weight.

Reactions: KenC
Could you measure the total width of the tire?
And show how you install it inside the trunk.
I just hung it from the top of the trunk, using a couple of crisscrossed ratchet straps. There are holes in the frame there. Being a sailor I did make up a few 'soft shackles' and leave them permanently installed across the holes, so the hooks on the ratchet straps can catch them easily/securely.

Search on soft shackles for more info (I make them from super strong/light amsteel blue line). I'm sure there are other ways of hanging the tire...

I'll try and take some pics this evening.

P. S. I only carry the tire when we're gong out of town. My wife drives the car and I figure I can bring her the tire and jack if she gets a flat locally.

Very interesting thread. Many of the questions here regarding Modern Spare are also answered in the following YouTube video by Frugal Tesla Guy:

I ordered one for Father's Day using the Frugal discount code and it arrived today. I have a few comments that I would appreciate your feedback on:
1. The 5 lug nuts included are 14x1.5mm, with just a 19mm hex head, while the stock ones have a 21 mm head. Are these smaller ones strong enough to take the 129 ft-lbs of torque?
2. It is claimed to work on Performance M3 (with upgrade) which has bigger brakes. But I noticed that the bore for the hub does not have a 3mm step, but a 45° chamfer, so I measured the bore with a telescoping gauge and found it's diameter to be 72.6mm. According to a diagram in another TMC thread
Model 3 Non-performance - wheel hub lip length
the diameter of even the bigger lip of the performance hub is 70.1 mm. That means the hub does not center the wheel for either standard (64.1 mm) or performance (64.1 or 70.1mm diameter) hubs. Is hanging it off the studs safe even for temporary use?
3. Has anyone actually tried these on a performance Model 3?

Please reply quickly as I have to decide whether to return it. There was also some shipping damage while Fedex lost it for a couple days.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. Many of the questions here regarding Modern Spare are also answered in the following YouTube video by Frugal Tesla Guy:

I ordered one for Father's Day using the Frugal discount code and it arrived today. I have a few comments that I would appreciate your feedback on:
1. The 5 lug nuts included are 14x1.5mm, with just a 19mm hex head, while the stock ones have a 21 mm head. Are these smaller ones strong enough to take the 129 ft-lbs of torque?
2. It is claimed to work on Performance M3 (with upgrade) which has bigger brakes. But I noticed that the bore for the hub does not have a 3mm step, but a 45° chamfer, so I measured the bore with a telescoping gauge and found it's diameter to be 72.6mm. According to a diagram in another TMC thread
Model 3 Non-performance - wheel hub lip length
the diameter of even the bigger lip of the performance hub is 70.1 mm. That means the hub does not center the wheel for either standard (64.1 mm) or performance (64.1 or 70.1mm diameter) hubs. Is hanging it off the studs safe even for temporary use?
3. Has anyone actually tried these on a performance Model 3?

Please reply quickly as I have to decide whether to return it. There was also some shipping damage while Fedex lost it for a couple days.
1. Doesn't matter
2. What is the smallest ID after chamfer? It sounds like they did it right - chamfer makes clearance for 70.1 step, but then it sits on 64.1 hub.

I did a chat with Matt at Modern Spare. He replied:
"For quick reference, we have carefully engineered the kit for the Performance Model 3. Taking into account the lug nut size and needed torque. Yes the wheel is lug centric and is fine for spare tire use."

I mean, yeah, it's a spare to slowly go to the tire shop. I don't see myself buying spare anytime. I have Porsche jack and tire fixing tools and whole car shop toolbox with all power tools I need that takes same space as this spare. And road assistance card also.