Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Buy Modern Spare Tire Kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These two flat tires were similar in that the tires were totally trashed and the rims were sitting on the ground. Both were not punctures. Catastrophic failure from tire defects.
Subaru tire was basically new with only 850 miles on it, well maintained...totally bubbled and delaminated inner sidewall. Trash. TireRack prorated it out of warranty and I paid $65 including shipping. Truck tire totally disintegrated . This is obviously the worst case scenario. (By the way, the Subaru PJF900 Pantograph Jack with a working load limit of 900 KG ( 1,984 lbs) has a collapsed height of 3" and an extended height of 13 3/8" and is very compact)
The most important thing is under no circumstance pull over right away in the breakdown lane. Great way to get killed. Had I stopped on the side of the road immediately to "save the tire" I would have put myself at risk to save ...what...? an already totally destroyed tire?
Driving to safety in both of the cases below should always be the priority.

Attachments

• 20201021_090613.jpg
    20201021_090613.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 108
  • FB_IMG_1536416634947.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536416634947.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
If a tire goes flat right away or immediately after hitting debris, it is most likely ruined. So drive until safe to stop.
If you check your tires every drive (easy - "Show Tire Pressure") then you'll likely catch a leaker before TPMS and you can drive to a safe spot to investigate/rectify.