Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone buy or know of someone who got an iPace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Just curious as I’ve seen only one iPace that belonged to an actual owner.

3-4 other times I’ve seen Jaguar promo cars driving around Orange County.

There was a lot of fanfare about how awesome it looks, Tesla killer articles etc.

I pointed it out to my wife when I saw one.

“hey look, that’s the iPace. Jaguars Model X competitor.”

My wife said “wow that’s ugly” just as a woman got out of it. Lmao

It looks a little better in photos when positioned for a shoot but it’s not that great in person.

I know the X is pretty much an obese S but is still awesome given it’s an SUV.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I bought one and I regret the purchase. The only way I was able to get rid of it was to carry the contract for a person who otherwise would not have qualified for a loan. I have history with this person, so I know that he will honor the contract.

Brent

My condolences Brent. You are a good man to fess up to a bonehead choice.

Do you mind sharing what you liked and what didn't like about the iPace?

I test drove the i-Pace to compare with the Tesla. My thoughts:
  • Jaguar extremely quiet - so quiet that I turned on the feature that pipes in an acceleration noise to make it feel more like a regular ICE car. I thought it was a brilliant little audio trick.
  • Sitting in the driver seat was great - the cockpit is cool and luxurious.
  • Visibility was low for me and something I couldn't get over - I felt like I was in a tank with all the squat/low windows.
  • I sat in the rear seats - same issue in that it felt like I was in a tank with small windows
We test-drove the Tesla - it felt like a completely different type of car. At first the Model X felt like a school-bus bc the large windshield reminded me of buses. After driving it - loved it. I think the Jaguar I-Pace is a quieter car than the Model X, but the tech and seating is better in the Model X.

I haven't seen one on the road here in NY (I see Teslas every single day). I have noticed that they are offering 0% financing here, which to me says there is a demand problem. Usually that is offered by companies trying to liquidate inventory to make room for the new MY, but the I-PACE isn't changing any time soon (I'd guess).

The seats are not comfortable for me (6' 1" - 195 pounds) or my smaller wife. The side bolsters are too narrow. It does have autopilot, but it is not as good as the system in the Tesla. I bought something at Costco, but was unable to fit even a single box into the Jaguar. It would have fit easily in the Model S. It took 9 hours to travel to California where it only takes 7.5 hours in either the Model X 60D or the Model S 85. On the way back, the only quick charger in Blythe was not working, so I had to spend the night at a dive while waiting for a free slow charge. This has never happened to me on any of my road trips in all of my Teslas. I do not like the fact that I have no option for seven passenger seating. The rear hatch opens up sometimes when I am moving the charging cord for my Juicebox 40. There is no way to disable that feature. The rear camera is not real time like the Tesla - I have almost hit things in reverse. The navigation system is archaic and slow as molasses. I love clicking the button in the Tesla and saying, "Navigate to Ark Encounter" and having it work perfectly. I disagree with some - I think the vehicle on the outside is gorgeous. However, it is not quite ready for primetime. You still need another vehicle for road trips. Around town, it works great - but it is too expensive for such a vehicle. I also do not like the red - it is too orange for my tastes.

Brent

I don't have direct experience with it, but this is a side-by-side comparison with the Model 3 someone posted on Reddit. Model 3 vs Ipace

All versions of the I-PACE have a 0% financing for up to 60 months or buyers can choose to take a $5,000 cash incentive that Jaguar isn't advertising on its website.

I see loads of them here in Norway. They are pretty popular. There are three in the office car park and I know one of the guys that owns one. He loves it.

Mine was the first Model X in the office car park and I love it too though think it's time to change.