Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone buy the Model 3 Track Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was ready to buy the track package as I really love the rims and my tires are getting close to needing to be replaced, however, I read that it will lessen the range of the car.

Does anyone know how much less range?

Please specify whether you are talking from hearsay or talking from first hand experience.

Thanks a lot everyone! Love the car!

I just sold the heavy wheels 'no-sidewall' tires. Then I installed 18" forged wheels and Michelin tires. Some range reduction due to dual motors. I have been able to drive ~200 mi at highway speeds and still have some miles left. My lifetime average over 20,000 miis about 270 Wh/mi.

FYI, you can still buy the P- "stealth" with v2 track mode, 18" wheels, etc, if you don't want the performance and efficiency tradeoffs of the bigger heavier wheels and other tack-ons. Hard to find model, but it's out there.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I didn't think this was possible anymore. Or are you talking about the P- which is the same price as a P+? I'm asking because I really want to buy a stealth model that is 6 grand less, not the one that is the same price as a regular performance.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I didn't think this was possible anymore. Or are you talking about the P- which is the same price as a P+? I'm asking because I really want to buy a stealth model that is 6 grand less, not the one that is the same price as a regular performance.

Yes, exactly right. P- and P+ are the same price now - just pick whichever equipment package best suits your needs. Indeed, the P- was was available for a short time at a super special price but that ship has sailed.

The P- hasn't been available for a good while now- P3D+ only, with no option to skip the 20" boat anchors/brakes/etc
No option to ORDER it that way, but if you use an inventory tracking web site you’ll see a handful of them (brand new) are still showing up, I think last night I saw about ten of them. Mainly white or black paint and mainly in California...

Edit: 12 of them showing up right now... here is an example. 2020 Model 3 | Tesla They do still exist oddly enough... (I also think they’re absolutely the sweet spot for max range and insane electric power, at least if you want to keep everything stock. There are some 3rd party options if you want the spoiler (which you can buy for ~$800 from Tesla now) and larger brakes. TSportline has 18’s that will fit over the Performance brakes that’ll run you ~$2600 fitted with TPMS and Pilot Sport 4S tires...)

Last edited:
No option to ORDER it that way, but if you use an inventory tracking web site you’ll see a handful of them (brand new) are still showing up, I think last night I saw about ten of them. Mainly white or black paint and mainly in California...

Edit: 12 of them showing up right now... here is an example. 2020 Model 3 | Tesla They do still exist oddly enough... (I also think they’re absolutely the sweet spot for max range and insane electric power, at least if you want to keep everything stock. There are some 3rd party options if you want the spoiler (which you can buy for ~$800 from Tesla now) and larger brakes. TSportline has 18’s that will fit over the Performance brakes that’ll run you ~$2600 fitted with TPMS and Pilot Sport 4S tires...)
Is it really P3D- or stealth if you’re paying the same as for a P3D+?

The entire point of the + or - is to indicate if the car is built with (+) or without (-) the performance upgrade package (20" wheels, the larger brakes, 0.39" lower suspension, etc)
Partially true- the entire point was getting a performance drivetrain M3 without having to pay for the other things that came with the (+). It was a good deal. The car you linked is charging the price you’d pay to order a new (+). It’s not really a (-), just a bad deal.

Partially true- the entire point was getting a performance drivetrain M3

Nope.

There's no such thing as a "performance drivetrain"

The front drive unit is identical to the one in the LR AWD.

The rear one is identical to the one in every other model 3 up through early/mid 2019 (including LR AWD, LR RWD, and both versions of the SR) and is still identical to all of those except the LR AWD which changed mid-2019.

The only thing different on the P3D- is the software that tells it it's a P.

Indeed some 2018 LR AWD delivieries were flashed to a P on the spot by the service center to delivery to P buyers because the car was delivered without that having already been done at the factory.

without having to pay for the other things that came with the (+). It was a good deal. The car you linked is charging the price you’d pay to order a new (+). It’s not really a (-), just a bad deal.

..what? I didn't link to anything. Nor does +/- mean what you appear to think it does since your definition relies on imaginary hardware that doesn't appear in the actual parts catalog anywhere.

Reactions: Phlier
Nope.

There's no such thing as a "performance drivetrain"

The front drive unit is identical to the one in the LR AWD.

The rear one is identical to the one in every other model 3 up through early/mid 2019 (including LR AWD, LR RWD, and both versions of the SR) and is still identical to all of those except the LR AWD which changed mid-2019.

The only thing different on the P3D- is the software that tells it it's a P.

Indeed some 2018 LR AWD delivieries were flashed to a P on the spot by the service center to delivery to P buyers because the car was delivered without that having already been done at the factory.

..what? I didn't link to anything. Nor does +/- mean what you appear to think it does since your definition relies on imaginary hardware that doesn't appear in the actual parts catalog anywhere.
Be pedantic if you wish. I should have used performance characteristics, at least for the initial builds. Meaning you’ll pay for the performance acceleration without paying for the other performance options. Yes, due to initial production constraints, effectively any AWD variant could be Performance if paid for, either at the (-) cost or at the (+) cost.

Do you now see that the price delta was the one of the biggest factors of evolution of the delineation of +/- M3Ps? Buying a new M3P without PUP upgrades but at the new PUP upgrade price, as previously linked, isn’t a (-)... although it may be inconspicuous.

Last edited:
Yes, I should have used performance driving characteristics, at least for the initial builds.

Quicker (largely) 0-60 acceleration via software- that was the only difference between the early LR AWD and P3D- cars.

(later the Ps would get track mode and track mode 2 of course- but again still just a software difference)

Do you not agree that the price delta was the one of the biggest factors of evolution of the delineation of +/- M3Ps?

No, because it didn't.

Price had nothing to do with the + or -

As someone who was actually here when the terminology evolved the + or - literally refers to if the car was built PLUS the Performance Upgrade Package (20" wheels, brakes, etc) or MINUS that package.

Price had nothing to do with the name.

Similarly the AWD+ term has evolved to describe LR AWD cars that are PLUS the acceleration boost upgrade.

The "stealth" name evolved after that because P3D- owners didn't like people using the - because it was "negative" to them and, I guess, they really wanna type extra letters :)

Just making sure I understand, the P3D- that are available are the same price as the P3D+, right? It's not possible to get a P3D- at a price lower than a P3D+, right?

Currently that appears to be the case... (and was also the case earlier this year when you could explicitly place an order for either config- price was the same for both).

It was not the case in 2019 (when you couldn't order a - at all, but if you found one in inventory it was only a 2k upcharge from price on a LR AWD)

It was also not the case in 2018 when you could order either + or - and there was a much larger $9000-11,000 upcharge from LR AWD to P3D- (depending when you ordered exactly) and then ANOTHER 5k upcharge to go to + by adding the Performance Upgrade Package.

The 2019 Stealth Performance also has the same 165 MPH limit as the other Performance version with spoiler and heavy 20 wheels.

It appears that is now changed to a 145 MPH limit on the current Performance car with the 18’s.

Just getting caught up here... I'll add...

Two cars, built identically, same motors and software, are finished off two different ways depending on buyer preference... both are "Performance" but finishing details are different and indicate how they were finished.

Performance, or "P+" , or PUP: 20" wheels, slightly bigger brakes, slightly lowered suspension, spoiler, cool pedal covers.
Performance, or "P-", or Stealth: Without those differentiating tweaks - no extra bling or weight.

The prices are identical. The stealth has a cult following probably because of the difficulty of locating the off-menu package, and for a while they had a very special price (around $5k off).

The 2019 Stealth Performance also has the same 165 MPH limit as the other Performance version with spoiler and heavy 20 wheels.

It appears that is now changed to a 145 MPH limit on the current Performance car with the 18’s.

Thats annoying that they changed to lower top speed numbers. Stock, the tires probably can't handle 162mph so I guess I shouldn't surprised they limited it based on safety (most manufacturers limit speed depending on tires that the car comes with) but you'd think it could be flashed to the higher top speed with proven sport tires. Do the new P- versions come with Track Mode?