Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone carry an emergency 12V tire compressor to allow to drive to a garage station to get a flat repaired.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is assuming you can't reach Tesla road service assistance or it will take too long for them to get to your location.

If you're carrying one, which one and does it work well to inflate to 45 PSI?

Thanks

PS. I couldn't find Tesla's own compressor on their website this morning.

I bought one from Griots. Appears to be exactly the same as the “Tesla” one but cheaper (shocker). The volvo I had previously came with one.

I bought the same one. It's the ResQ Pro+. One of the better ones, and out of stock almost everywhere right now. The Griots one is much lower price than any place else you can find it.

Reactions: CoastieM3
Upvote 0
I bought the same one. It's the ResQ Pro+. One of the better ones, and out of stock almost everywhere right now. The Griots one is much lower price than any place else you can find it.
My spouse’s Volt has a similar device, perhaps lesser quality, which did not work well. The slime canister was difficult to use and the entire device was over-taxed by the job (it grossly overheated). I wonder whether it is a better idea to carry a small 12v compressor and buy a separate canister of “slime” from a reputable provider. This assumes that the “slime” will even work on the tires with sound deadening foam applied to the inside of the tread.

Upvote 0
My spouse’s Volt has a similar device, perhaps lesser quality, which did not work well. The slime canister was difficult to use and the entire device was over-taxed by the job (it grossly overheated). I wonder whether it is a better idea to carry a small 12v compressor and buy a separate canister of “slime” from a reputable provider. This assumes that the “slime” will even work on the tires with sound deadening foam applied to the inside of the tread.
There are lots of comments in this and other blogs about slime and its use. Grab a cup o’ joe and graze through them at your leisure although I think the bottom line is that most eschew the use of slime because of its effects on the tire pressure monitors.

As to the 12v compressor however, that’s a pretty universally accepted good idea. It can help significantly for a slow leak to get you somewhere more convenient, it can reinflate a tire that you’ve repaired yourself with a plug kit, etc., etc. No real downside other than the space it occupies in the f/trunk and initial cost. My choice was a Dewalt 20v inflator since I have a few of the 20v batteries from other Dewalt tools, it also connects to the 12v cigarette socket in the car, and with an adapter can also be powered by 120vac. It’s strong, portable, and comes with attachments to inflate tires, balloons, mattresses, etc. For details: Dewalt Tire Inflator.

Reactions: play150
Upvote 0
There are lots of comments in this and other blogs about slime and its use. Grab a cup o’ joe and graze through them at your leisure although I think the bottom line is that most eschew the use of slime because of its effects on the tire pressure monitors.

As to the 12v compressor however, that’s a pretty universally accepted good idea. It can help significantly for a slow leak to get you somewhere more convenient, it can reinflate a tire that you’ve repaired yourself with a plug kit, etc., etc. No real downside other than the space it occupies in the f/trunk and initial cost. My choice was a Dewalt 20v inflator since I have a few of the 20v batteries from other Dewalt tools, it also connects to the 12v cigarette socket in the car, and with an adapter can also be powered by 120vac. It’s strong, portable, and comes with attachments to inflate tires, balloons, mattresses, etc. For details: Dewalt Tire Inflator.
Thank you for that. My comment was aimed at the device recommended in the post I quoted. It is a combination device that includes a slime canister and a compressor. The compressor has a switch that allows the compressor to be the pressure source for injecting the slime into the tire. My point was that those combination devices seem to not work very well, and I was suggesting that if one wants to use a sealant, it might be a better idea to buy that separate from the compressor.

Upvote 0
works well with my 20 inch 3P wheels

7119nNVJ-HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Upvote 0

For what it's worth the slime can says specifically that it is OK to use it with TPMS sensors. Not sure if there are different versions of slime or why there are contrasting results. However, this is why I bought the Tesla kit specifically- it has some form of slime in the kit, and I figure that if I use this kit and it breaks the TPMS sensor that I have a good argument for getting it replaced by Tesla, since they sold me the kit with their logo on it.

However, with what I know now after having used it, I think it's no great loss that it's not on their store anymore. I don't think it's worth replacing, but if I were doing it from scratch I'd just get a 12V compressor and the manual patch/cord kits and not worry about using slime.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth the slime can says specifically that it is OK to use it with TPMS sensors. Not sure if there are different versions of slime or why there are contrasting results. However, this is why I bought the Tesla kit specifically- it has some form of slime in the kit, and I figure that if I use this kit and it breaks the TPMS sensor that I have a good argument for getting it replaced by Tesla, since they sold me the kit with their logo on it.
If it's water based slime that says specifically it's TPMS safe then perhaps it's ok. Buying from Tesla is irrelevant, what matters is what the can/instructions actually say. If the can/instructions say it can damage the TPMS, then Tesla still would not cover it.

Upvote 0