Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone ceramic coat their wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new set of wheels arriving today, and I'm iffy as to whether I should buy some ceramic coating for them. I ceramic coated the car myself and I think it was time/money, but not sure about wheels. There is already so little brake dust (I run aftermarket pads) that I don't even clean the wheels every time I clean the car. Seems like the benefits for wheels on a Tesla would be minimal at best. Anyone else do this? Would you do it again?

If you don't see nor anticipate the benefits then save your money not getting it.

My car was PPF and ceramic coated before I brought it home so I don't know if things could have been worse. I just know that the wheels are so easy to clean when I actually want to clean the wheels, and the wheels look good (especially compared to the majority of wheels out there) even if I just blast water on them.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to ceramic coat the inner part of the wheel that's harder to get to.

If they are brand new wheels, why wouldn’t you do it? Simple to do as they are pristine and off the car. Doing the barrels is the most important IMO. There are so many pro-sumer coatings now that this is a no brainer to me.

I can think of plenty of other things to spend $50 on, and plenty of other ways to spend my time.

I have some leftover CQuartz UK from coating the paint earlier this year. There are wheel-specific coatings though - not sure how Maybe I'll just do the inner barrels since it would be relatively easy and free.

I did mine too. I also have the clear wrap on front half and Lifetime Ceramic on the whole car. Never gets dirty and no more water spots after a rain. Since doing it in August, I've only had to wash the car once and then I just hosed it down. What little dust was on the car just rinsed off. Water beads up and rolls off. Pretty amazing.

I can think of plenty of other things to spend $50 on, and plenty of other ways to spend my time.

I have some leftover CQuartz UK from coating the paint earlier this year. There are wheel-specific coatings though - not sure how Maybe I'll just do the inner barrels since it would be relatively easy and free.
Yep, but if you’ve coated the car, you care about keeping the paint protected as well as saving yourself time. New wheels just makes coating them a breeze, hence the “no brainer” response.
But your orig post saying you already run low-dust/ceramic pads etc. sounds like you are looking for an “out”, so here you go: don’t coat them. Lol! ;)

I pretty much did the same thing. I used a leftover bottle of cquartz I had laying around on my new bc forged wheels. Although it's not specific for wheels I'm sure it helps more than it hurts. But since they are summer wheels I plan to probably just re-apply another coat before I put them back on the car for summer. I dont know if I'm sold enough to buy a whole bottle specifically for wheels since I doubt I'd use enough before it 'expired'

that’s what I did, just use the leftover clean cquartz on the cyclones and it makes it so much easier to clean. I am talking about the insides, not just the outer vertical face. What is it, $20 of ceramic coating and one hour? Absolutely I would do it again.

Still hot from powder coating. Fresh coat of ceramic in the morning.

Attachments

• PXL_20201015_231009399.jpg
    PXL_20201015_231009399.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 171