Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Change Order to M3 from MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did this. I have had a LR AWD MY on order for some time. With this latest refresh both my significant other and I fell in love with the performance version (M3P). Practically on paper the MY LR AWD makes more sense. More storage room, cheaper for tires, more clearance, less chance of wheel/tire damage, etc. (we were sticking with the 19' Geminis).

The thing is, the M3P, especially with the new updates just seems sexier and something we desire more. I was envisioning doing things with the MY like driving to Tahoe in the winter, car camping, having room for a dog (which we do not even have), etc. The truth is we have not done any of those things in the past 5 years so the M3P actually fits our mission just fine- driving 200 miles on highways for a wine tasting weekend.

There are quality concerns for MY deliveries but this was not something that alone would make me change. Pretty much any Tesla has the potential to have quality issues upon delivery.

In the end, we just feel more excited about the M3P than we did the MY. We never test drove the performance model Y so maybe we are jumping the gun? If anyone else was considering a MY and instead went for the M3, I would love to hear your reasoning and considerations.

Reactions: Arctic_White
Yes, about to do the same thing. I have driven the performance Y on two separate test drives and was obsessed. I’m actually strongly leaning towards changing my order to a Model 3 LR. The updates, added range and performance with the acceleration boost make for a very compelling package. I’m also considering the M3P, but really don’t like the idea of stressing over potholes with those 20” wheels.

Reactions: airbrett
I just did this. I have had a LR AWD MY on order for some time. With this latest refresh both my significant other and I fell in love with the performance version (M3P). Practically on paper the MY LR AWD makes more sense. More storage room, cheaper for tires, more clearance, less chance of wheel/tire damage, etc. (we were sticking with the 19' Geminis).

The thing is, the M3P, especially with the new updates just seems sexier and something we desire more. I was envisioning doing things with the MY like driving to Tahoe in the winter, car camping, having room for a dog (which we do not even have), etc. The truth is we have not done any of those things in the past 5 years so the M3P actually fits our mission just fine- driving 200 miles on highways for a wine tasting weekend.

There are quality concerns for MY deliveries but this was not something that alone would make me change. Pretty much any Tesla has the potential to have quality issues upon delivery.

In the end, we just feel more excited about the M3P than we did the MY. We never test drove the performance model Y so maybe we are jumping the gun? If anyone else was considering a MY and instead went for the M3, I would love to hear your reasoning and considerations.

I suggest taking a test drive if possible and not much of an hassle. Nothing to lose, but you'll be happy you made an informed decision :)

I suggest taking a test drive if possible and not much of an hassle. Nothing to lose, but you'll be happy you made an informed decision :)

I have test driven both the M3P and MY LR. Just not the MYP. The latter was nice. The former was amazing. I do have a friend with the MYP so maybe I’ll sweet talk her to take it for a spin. There’s just something about the M3P that my right brain loves.

For what its worth - I almost did, very tempting. I've owned two model 3's now (currently without a tesla) - and a white on white performance, with these latest refreshed updates is nearly the pinnacle for me. However, the model Y is no doubt the more complete vehicle if its your only vehicle. Keep in mind they are very very different vehicles. The 3 is much more focused on performance, where the Y seems like you get more vehicle for your money . Having owned an SUV while having my 2nd model 3, I noticed that I really just enjoy sitting up a bit higher now, and having the extra space - even though I don't need it.

Was THIS close to switching my order, but I want to feel like I'm getting a "new" car, not a 3rd model 3.

Reactions: airbrett
I have test driven both the M3P and MY LR. Just not the MYP. The latter was nice. The former was amazing. I do have a friend with the MYP so maybe I’ll sweet talk her to take it for a spin. There’s just something about the M3P that my right brain loves.

I ordered a MYP in Feb and picked it up in May. I thought I wanted the bigger car, but didn’t really need the space due to our second car being a truck. Long story short, the HVAC system had multiple issues at pickup they couldn’t fix. So, at the recommendation of the team at the service center, I returned the MYP. I decided not to wait for MY kinks to be ironed out, and bought a M3P a few months later.

I couldn’t be happier with the M3P. Airbrett nailed it - the MYP is fun, but the MP3 is an absolute blast to drive. For me, the handling/agility of the car were more important than the added space and versatility. I wanted something I loved driving, and don’t regret the switch for one second.

I actually decided to go all-in and ordered a M3P with FSD on 10/23 :cool:

There’s also something weird going on with MYP. No delivery estimates and I saw one person post that they were told not to expect delivery until Feb at the earliest.

Went from 2020 M3 to MY. Take a long test drive of both (preferably back-to-back) and be sure to take some corners, park, note seat belt/seating position/comfort. Here's what I found going from 3>Y. These are things that you may miss on a short test drive but become apparent after you own it a week. I need the ability to get the kids bikes around easily and the rear seat room for them as they are growing is appreciated, but I find myself feeling regret after a couple of weeks. You don't realize how nimble the 3 is until you move to the Y. I realize some of these items may be irrelevant to folks who never owned a 3, but here are my observations:

Pros:
  1. Sense of more rear passenger room. More head room, better seating position, huge space under front seats. Kids say it every time they sit back there compared to the 3 "Dad, there's SO much more room back here! Thanks for getting the Y!"
  2. Factory tow package/hitch. (Bike rack, towing, etc).
  3. MUCH less side wind noise in the Y. The difference isn't subtle. Better side window seals, door glass more recessed with smaller gaps at b-pillars, smaller mirrors. In the Y, the only wind noise seams to come from the top of the windshield area. In the 3, all you hear in your left ear is wind and turbulence. (Laminated front door glass in 2021 should help in the 3. Y also gets this sometime in 2021).
  4. Cargo room. No comparison. Cavernous.
  5. Power hatch (3 gets this for 2021 so moot).
  6. While the rear window is smaller in the Y, the view is MUCH better. You can actually see full cars behind you.
  7. Dark exterior trim/handles - much sportier look, constant comments from other M3 owners (2021 have this).

Cons:

1. Less front leg room in MY. Also, the area is narrower as the wheel wells intrude on space. Also, the transition from floorpan to firewall in the Y is a sharper angle so you'll find yourself pulling your toes back to make full contact with the gas/dead pedal and floor on the passenger side. You'll find your right foot and leg against the center console, and the dead pedal is closer to the brake.
  2. If you're under 5'10", the front seatbelts cut into your neck no matter how the seat/seatbelt are adjusted.
  3. Constantly adjusting body and seat controls in the Y. Upright seating position with knees bent (like a chair) make it difficult to achieve a comfortable seating position. In the 3 (with legs more outstretched) we set the seats and never touched them again. The issue is the length of the seat cushion - it's too short for the Y "chair" driving position, so there's not enough thigh support which places all the pressure on your tail. Even with front of the seat at full height and rear lowered all the way.
  4. Lots of rattles from the rear seats and B-pillars.
  5. Poorly designed rear outboard seatbelt design - when not buckled, they sit against plastic trim and vibrate/rattle non-stop. Also, they slip between the seats and trim and kids constantly struggling to extract them to fasten.
  6. Parking seems more difficult despite it being the same length as the 3. In the 3, you can see the hood.
  7. Y is nowhere as nimble as the 3. You can take curves and on/off ramps in the 3 and it's on rails. The Y feels (and is) heavier and more top-heavy so you feel the lean. Miss this the most going from 3>Y.
  8. Frunk latch design is not like 3 where you can replace with weaker spring. No way to latch (even after adjustments by service) without the hood flexing/bending under your hands. We (and others) stopped using the frank because of this. May be related to the massive frunk seal attached to the underside of the hood. The 3 doesn't have this.
  9. Voice commands in Y are still half baked. You can't even open the glovebox (and other basic things) with voice commands and the car has been in production for 8 months.
  10. Side mirrors are much smaller than in the 3.
  11. Ride seems much harsher than my 3 (both with 19" wheels). In the 3 it's a thud when you hit bumps. In the Y, it feels like driving with over-inflated tires or short sidewalls... instead of a "thud" it's a "BANG" that you feel in the cabin.
  12. Interior sound levels: While there is far less wind noise from the sides, I hear more road noise in the Y. The cabin is further forward in the Y so the firewall and front wheel wells are closer to the front passengers and that seems to be where I'm hearing the most noise. Munroe pointed out the poor/incomplete insulation used in these areas in the Y. Also, the sound in the cabin is different. Because you're in a big open space, there is a booming sensation to the sound level. In the 3, it's less drumming. That's the nature of a crossover/minivan however.

I had long thought I was going to buy a Model 3 Performance (spoiler: turns out I am), but then I fell in love with the idea of a full glass roof and what felt like infinite storage (to go car-camping in) despite the appearance of the MY being a downgrade in my opinion. I was torn on what to purchase. I went to test drive, and got to test drive a MYP and a regular LR AWD M3 in the same day for a comparison (they didn't have a M3P on site). I had much more fun in the M3. The MYP is an awesome car but it literally just didn't sit right with me. I wanted to lower the seat much further than possible to get the view I like having. The second I sat in the 3 afterwards, this stark difference was solidified. I am now waiting anxiously to hear back about my delivery date for the Model 3 Performance.

I later independently rented the M3P, take home point is that test-driving is important. Having the car a full day if possible (like renting off of Turo or something) is even better! In renting the vehicle, I could see how it played out on roads I had a bunch of data to compare on (e.g. I had oodles much more confidence/comfort on this 4 lane road which should really be a 3 laner).

I had a YSR(7) on order and I cancelled it for the 3LR. The prices of these two are very close together and thats what made the decision somewhat difficult. Yes I know the YSR’s have been taken off order but so what-just because it may be rare doesn’t mean its great. I can agree with most of the things others said, but what did it in the end was only a few things:

-Ride of the Y is very harsh. Way harsh, as in I was afraid to ride over bumps. Bone jarring. Surprised me because I though it was just going to be a taller 3. Maybe its one of those things where if you fill it up full of people the ride gets better?

-The Y leans in turns probably because it’s taller When I take turns in a 3, its pretty fun. Doing the same in a Y makes me a little scared its going to tip over, even though its probably not going to.

-Y’s have less range than their 3 counterparts of the same trim, whether it be SR, LR or P. Which means the YSR has the least range of all of those. Probably has a realistic range of 140-160 miles. Maybe less! It may be a family car, but it’ll be spending lots of time at superchargers for longer trips.

-In the end, the large space, upright seating, and passenger capacity was given up for longer range, less bone-jarring ride, AWD, more power, and just a little bit more fun.

Reactions: MadMax082