TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone change springs or foam in lower gen 1 seat cushion (aka park bench)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cab, Aug 7, 2016.

1. cab

cab Member

So I recently picked up a CPO Model S and man, it has been a while since i sat in a gen 1 seat, but these things are park bench hard! The seat back isn't awesome, but it is mostly the lower seat cushion (I use that term loosely) and a 200 mile round trip yesterday had my backside crying uncle (this baby does NOT have "back").

Anyway, I've read about the seat "fix" where the service centers can clip a couple of the springs, but ideally the seat foam and or springs may be better addressed by a local auto upholstery shop. Has anyone headed down that path?

Thanks!

2. Skione65

Skione65 Member

That's been my concern about picking up an early MS with the gen1 seats.....you just confirmed my fears.....just looks like there is nothing to them....especially the Performance seats. The Nappa seats look alittle better as far as bolstering and cushioning so I may look for at least that option.

Ski

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

For the original seats, they're all the same. The only difference between the options is the covering.

I had the spring modification done to my driver's seat. It helped a tiny amount, I think. They can't do the passenger seat, so you're committing to a mismatch there if you have it done (and there's a good chance that CPO had it done already, it was a popular mod).

Despite being hard and poorly-bolstered, I've always found the seats relatively comfortable so I didn't go searching for other options. If you find them as bad as it sounds, I don't think the spring fix is going to help much. I can't recall anyone ever having the foam/springs changed by a third party. There's a sensor in the seat to detect the presence of the driver, so that complicates things a bit. Let us know if you find any good options.