Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone charge at UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my first time charging at a non-Tesla charger and wanted to see what (if anything) I'd need to bring to charge here.

I called and spoke with someone who confirmed they do have EV charging, but they weren't sure what plugs they used. They said they have Tesla chargers, but I don't see them listed under "destination charging" on the Tesla website, so I'm a bit doubtful as to the accuracy of what I was told.

I'm only planning on bringing the adapters that came with my MS 70D when I purchased it new. I'm guessing that should be enough?

If you are heading down highway 18 after you charge at the lake, then do NOT charge above 80%. Regenerative braking will add about 12 miles back into the battery while driving down the mountain. You need a partially discharged battery for the regenerative braking to work.

In other words, those who fill to 100% on a mountain top only have the friction brakes to slow the vehicle during the descent.

If the error is made, then drive back up the mountain until the SOC is low enough to restore regenerative braking for the entire descent.

Reactions: McManX
If you are heading down highway 18 after you charge at the lake, then do NOT charge above 80%. Regenerative braking will add about 12 miles back into the battery while driving down the mountain. You need a partially discharged battery for the regenerative braking to work.

In other words, those who fill to 100% on a mountain top only have the friction brakes to slow the vehicle during the descent.

If the error is made, then drive back up the mountain until the SOC is low enough to restore regenerative braking for the entire descent.

Thanks. Good to know that driving back home from Lake Arrowhead back to Orange County will add quite a few miles from the regen braking down the mountain. My original plan was to charge to 90% before leaving Lake Arrowhead, so I'll have to rethink this, thank you for the input! = )

Thanks. Good to know that driving back home from Lake Arrowhead back to Orange County will add quite a few miles from the regen braking down the mountain. My original plan was to charge to 90% before leaving Lake Arrowhead, so I'll have to rethink this, thank you for the input! = )
The Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger, if needed, is another option for either adding miles before driving up the mountain or when returning to OC. With Victoria Gardens and Bass Pro Shop just steps away, it's a worthwhile stop to enjoy shopping or their great restaurants. Just watch out for those idle fees and be ready drive away when the charge is complete.

The navigation system calculates the extra range required due to elevation changes. By entering your Lake Arrowhead destination at home using the touchscreen, the amount of charge remaining at the destination will be shown. (Roughly about 8 to 10 miles of range is used for every 1,000 vertical feet of elevation.) Round trip numbers are accurate, but do not take into account the amount of extra driving you might be planning in the mountains. Above all, relax and have fun. The Model S and X make highway 18 driving more enjoyable than ever.