Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone come from an older Model S? How is the Y in comparison?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I currently own a 2013 Model S 85KW and just flipped 100k miles. Long story short, we are looking to get into a newer car with a warranty as we're worried about owning our current car outside of warranty (and would like more range). We have one child, and will probably have one more eventually.

At this point, we are strongly considered two options:
#1 - 2019-2020 Model S long range ~$75k
#2 - Brand new Model Y long range ~ $55k

I like the idea of saving 20 grand with the Y, but I'm worried about a couple issues.
- I don't think I like the ultra minimalistic interior. Both my wife and I prefer more traditional speedo/dash of the S.
- I'm worried about the ride quality and road noise of the Y. There seem to be many complaints about this with the Y, while almost none with the S.

I know some of this can be resolved with a test drive, which we're going to do next weekend, I just wanted to start a conversation and get some opinions.

Who here came from an older Model S? How was the transition? I'm a little worried that the Y will feel like a downgrade after driving an S for a couple years.

I have 2012 S (280k, first owner). Also have the rest of the 3XY line up. You will love the Y. Higher interior- good with kids. Incredibly smooth compared to the older S. Road noise is not worse than early S, but sig worse than later S/X. The lack of instrument cluster is tough after having the S. You’ll get used to it, very rough at first though. I prefer the heaviness and grand touring feeling of the S and the extravagance of the X. That’s not for all, though

Here's another UP vote for the Model Y. When the Model 3 first came out I often thought that car will never be for me. I loved our 2017 model S we owned and 2018 purchased the Model X. That interior was no way for me. So then the Model Y came along and well, I fell in love with it. Now I really love the one screen and the lower dash. It's easier to see out of and the screen always shows the dash per say on the left side. It's quick. It handles great for as big as it actually is. It's fun to drive and has a lot of room. Easy to get in and out of. The only time that the dash still takes a little getting use to is at night when I'm on a dark road and I don't see a screen in front of me. A quick look out the corner of your eye and there's everything you need.

I had a 2015 P85D and also a 2020 Y.

If ride quality is most important to you, the S is the only option. The Y is HARSH.

Road noise may actually be improved in the Y vs an early-model S. But it’s no where near as quiet as the 2019+ S.

I would tell you to test drive both, but the refreshed S will not be available for test drives until Q4 per Tesla.

Reactions: deepbluejh
I had a 2015 P85D and also a 2020 Y.

If ride quality is most important to you, the S is the only option. The Y is HARSH.

Road noise may actually be improved in the Y vs an early-model S. But it’s no where near as quiet as the 2019+ S.

I would tell you to test drive both, but the refreshed S will not be available for test drives until Q4 per Tesla.
This is what I'm worried about. We are currently driving a 2017 S75 and it drives dramatically better than our 2013 S85. I definitely would not want anything that drove any rougher than our current 2013 car.

We have a 2015 S 85D and a 2021 Y SR. We also have only one child. In hindsight we should have had two, so one could entertain the other, but that is a different forum...
We just finished a 9000km cross Canada trip in the model S without issue, except the driver side door handle died the first day out. The S and the Y are apple and oranges different in the suspension. +1 for the S in the comfort and long trip road comfort. The Y belongs to my wife and we have not used it outside of the city on the highway yet. I find the city driving rough with the Y in comparison. Also, coming from an S, the single off-centre console screen takes getting used to. There is also less information displayed on the Y, and fewer buttons than the S, less configurations capable in controlling the car. I like setting up the scroll wheel for the cabin temp, can't do that on the Y
I have the older flatter seat on the S, I can move around on the seat during a long drive, the Y seems a little narrow between the side bolsters.
The Y is the best vehicle from a practical standpoint, we will still use the S as a long range cruiser. The new heat pump on the Y really sold us over the S system. We have ample chargers where we live and the SR will work for us even if we decide on the road trip. I look forward to seeing how the ride is long distance in the Y.

Owned 2014 S85 and 2016 X P90D, just pick up 2021 Y Duel Motor.

When 3s came out..I said no way to the Dash design. And got a used S. That didn't work and traded up to used X and now only miss Falcon doors, and cooling ft seats.

My attitude us completely turned around on the dash. I love it...better air flow and better audio sound. I love that the car is easier to drive for me. Can't attest to comfort for a larger family..it just the 2 of us...(I like that song also). I'm averaging just under 4 miles/kWh and appreciate that since no longer free supercharging. The regenerating breaking seems more aggressive and I like that too. In the end, I glad we got the Y..it's a great car.

Reactions: Dayreg
This is what I'm worried about. We are currently driving a 2017 S75 and it drives dramatically better than our 2013 S85. I definitely would not want anything that drove any rougher than our current 2013 car.
The Y drives like a BMW M3 if that helps with context. Firm ride, stiff, and sporty. You feel EVERY bump.

Anything with air suspension is going to win out in that category.

I came from the exact same car you have. I upgraded to the Y in hopes of getting FSD and all the new bells and whistles....as usual I paid $10k for FSD and STILL waiting for a version that actually works. Super tired of Musks lies as to when we can have FSD!!!! I went long range Y. Got the butt ugly gemini wheels...plastic dipped those the minute I got home from delivery. Honestly I think the Y is ugly. I only went with the Y over the S due to cost. Just can't get most of the good features at the price point the Y has. I really miss my S. So much better looking AND the ride is quieter and smoother. I feel like my Y is a trashcan on rollerskates. If I do not have FSD, as the other 2k testers currently have, by the end of next month this car is gone. Going back to a Chevy Volt(2018).

I came from the exact same car you have. I upgraded to the Y in hopes of getting FSD and all the new bells and whistles....as usual I paid $10k for FSD and STILL waiting for a version that actually works. Super tired of Musks lies as to when we can have FSD!!!! I went long range Y. Got the butt ugly gemini wheels...plastic dipped those the minute I got home from delivery. Honestly I think the Y is ugly. I only went with the Y over the S due to cost. Just can't get most of the good features at the price point the Y has. I really miss my S. So much better looking AND the ride is quieter and smoother. I feel like my Y is a trashcan on rollerskates. If I do not have FSD, as the other 2k testers currently have, by the end of next month this car is gone. Going back to a Chevy Volt(2018).

Lol... I also think the Y is kinda ugly. Easily the worst looking car that Tesla makes. That said... in the right color and with the right wheels (and tint), it looks decent and I'd probably get used to it. The price point and form factor are too good to overlook. We still might get one, if only the ride is tolerable.

Reactions: bee-unit and Yurand
For those making comments about the harshness of the Model Y ride, would you mind also disclosing the wheel size in your example?

I find the ride "acceptable" in my MYP with the lowered factory suspension and 21" Uberturbine wheels... but I come from a sports car background not a luxury car background. For efficiency's sake and strait line acceleration I am picking up a set of 19" Gemini's. I expect them to make the ride even smoother from everything I have read here.

Keith

Lol... I also think the Y is kinda ugly. Easily the worst looking car that Tesla makes. That said... in the right color and with the right wheels (and tint), it looks decent and I'd probably get used to it. The price point and form factor are too good to overlook. We still might get one, if only the ride is tolerable.
I thought it was ugly at the beginning but now it’s kind of grew on me. And you are 💯 correct about color wheel combo!

My wife and I currently own a 2013 Model S 85KW and just flipped 100k miles. Long story short, we are looking to get into a newer car with a warranty as we're worried about owning our current car outside of warranty (and would like more range). We have one child, and will probably have one more eventually.

At this point, we are strongly considered two options:
#1 - 2019-2020 Model S long range ~$75k
#2 - Brand new Model Y long range ~ $55k

I like the idea of saving 20 grand with the Y, but I'm worried about a couple issues.
- I don't think I like the ultra minimalistic interior. Both my wife and I prefer more traditional speedo/dash of the S.
- I'm worried about the ride quality and road noise of the Y. There seem to be many complaints about this with the Y, while almost none with the S.

I know some of this can be resolved with a test drive, which we're going to do next weekend, I just wanted to start a conversation and get some opinions.

Who here came from an older Model S? How was the transition? I'm a little worried that the Y will feel like a downgrade after driving an S for a couple years.
Came from a 2014 P85 with AP1 and 7 seats. . No regrets going with a LR model Y 7 seater. AC cools better in the third row, range is way better. Still had most of the get up and go. Upgraded for the same reasons. Wanted a full warranty Tesla.

No Model S experience, but wanted to comment on the ride "harshness". I read a lot of complaints about ride harshness before buying our MYP. I specifically went and test drove one before ordering. I will say that I do not find the MYP ride harsh. It is stiff, but far from harsh. It's not to say others are wrong, only to say this is very subjective. My suggestion is to try and go drive one. You might find it acceptable.