Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone configured with standard suspension or a 40 kwh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know that both standard suspension and smaller batteries will delay delivery. At P#2993 I have an "Early 2013" delivery estimate with a standard suspension and 60 kwh battery which is very reasonable.

But I'm curious in general how Tesla is blocking production based on the combination of P number, battery size and suspension. How are they sorting the production sequence? When will they stop making the more expensive general production cars and start in on less expensive cars but with lower P numbers?

If some people have configured with a standard suspension and/or a 40 kwh battery maybe we can get some clues from their P numbers and estimated delivery dates. It would be interesting.

Last edited:
I wonder if the 85 kWh / Air Suspension thing is so that Tesla can cater to their more die-hard enthusiasts first.

The battery is a "snap-in" modular component, and I don't see what difference it would make otherwise if they were to snap in any one of the three battery sizes as the car comes down the line.

Mike

I wonder if the 85 kWh / Air Suspension thing is so that Tesla can cater to their more die-hard enthusiasts first.

The battery is a "snap-in" modular component, and I don't see what difference it would make otherwise if they were to snap in any one of the three battery sizes as the car comes down the line.

Mike

It may help with ramp up internally. If your only making the car one or two ways the first six months, ramp up is much smoother I would assume. If you times that by a factor of 3 (having the other battery types) then it makes the ramp up less efficient. Though I don't know this for sure, it sounds reasonable to assume. Once they have gotten down the "pace" of doing it 5000 times one or two ways, they can do that every quarter 10 different ways.

We know that both standard suspension and smaller batteries will delay delivery. At P#2993 I have an "Early 2013" delivery estimate with a standard suspension and 60 kwh battery which is very reasonable.

But I'm curious in general how Tesla is blocking production based on the combination of P number, battery size and suspension. How are they sorting the production sequence? When will they stop making the more expensive general production cars and start in on less expensive cars but with lower P numbers?

If some people have configured with a standard suspension and/or a 40 kwh battery maybe we can get some clues from their P numbers and estimated delivery dates. It would be interesting.

Yah im getting the 40kWh Battery Pack. I'm P3552 and with a projected delivery date of DEC 2012/JAN2013. Cross my fingers for a christmas delivery :)

Choosing either the Standard suspension (regardless of pack size) or 40kw pack size changes the delivery on my P8501 reservation to "Early 2013". Choosing 60kw or 85kw with Air suspension changes delivery to Feb-Mar 2013. Question is how to interpret Early 2013.

Each battery size is designed slightly differently and requires EPA approval before they can start delivering. The 60kWh pack is nearing completion of that approval and the 40kWh will follow. They prioritized by revenue, as the 85kWh battery is obviously the most profitable for them, so they submitted that design to the EPA first.

I'm not sure if there's any regulatory milestone for the active air suspension (maybe crash testing?), but that could be a revenue decision as well.

Don't wanna break your heart here, but I just don't think that's gonna happen. I'm R77 and am hoping to get mine before Christmas. I bet you're looking at Feb. at best.

I agree with your comment to scole04. From what I'm seeing/reading, there won't be any non 85kWh Model S's delivered in 2012. I'm P445 (85kWh/Perf) and am still hopeful for a pre-Christmas 2012 delivery. However, I still have no VIN nor delivery window so I might be dreaming too.

Choosing either the Standard suspension (regardless of pack size) or 40kw pack size changes the delivery on my P8501 reservation to "Early 2013". Choosing 60kw or 85kw with Air suspension changes delivery to Feb-Mar 2013. Question is how to interpret Early 2013.

Really, P8501 says "Feb-Mar 2013"?
Is there any reality in which Tesla will ship P8501 in February?

I'm struggling to see how Tesla will ship me my P6852 in Feb-Mar, so I'd love to hear that they actually have a chance at shipping P8501 in Feb.

Really, P8501 says "Feb-Mar 2013"?
Is there any reality in which Tesla will ship P8501 in February?

I'm struggling to see how Tesla will ship me my P6852 in Feb-Mar, so I'd love to hear that they actually have a chance at shipping P8501 in Feb.
Any reality?

OK, here goes:
2nd shift almost fully up and running by Y/E, averaging 700/wk thru Jan-Feb, 3 wks finishing/delivery lag, = about 6 wks of 2013 cars delivered = 4200. Add 4000 cancellations, = 8200. 800 P deliveries in Dec. Highest P# delivered in February is thus about 9000.

Each battery size is designed slightly differently and requires EPA approval before they can start delivering. The 60kWh pack is nearing completion of that approval and the 40kWh will follow. They prioritized by revenue, as the 85kWh battery is obviously the most profitable for them, so they submitted that design to the EPA first.

This rational doesn't make sense. The basic design for the packs are the same -- the size is identical. It would be hard to believe that they are just now putting together a 40kWh pack for the first time. One would think the EPA approval process was done in parallel. In fact, TESLA has already delivered a ~40kWh pack in the RAV4 EV (it's actually a little less than 42kWh). My bet is that they just had to sequence the production and they did that in terms of profitability and popularity.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it is the TESLA production line that is the limitation. They also have a battery production line. I would think this part of the factory is churning out one battery size at a time (in batches). At some point they are likely to have adequate supply of all three batteries (if storage is not too problematic). When that happens, I agree that any one of the three batteries could be installed. From what I'm reading, it appears that the biggest drag to the model S production has been their supply chain and I'd count the battery as part of that.

Talked to Tesla today. I'm P1267 getting 40kwh and std suspension. I'm looking at an April time-frame.
Tesla is only producing 85kwh, air suspension cars this year and that is likely to continue into next year. Someone with a much higher reservation number that orders 85kwh, air suspension will get delivery first.

Wow that's just so late given your low number. We always knew there would be a delay for the smaller packs but April just seems really far away.