Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone configured with standard suspension or a 40 kwh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm R75..finalized 10/17/12. 40 kwh & standard suspension. Only delivery info I've received is "Early 2013" on the pre-MVPA. Waiting till EPA data is release before calling. Still keeping up hope for a March/Early April delivery (it's been a long 4 year wait) and optimistic based on some standard suspension's getting delivery windows recently.

Starting to get annoyed. Correction... I am annoyed. When I reserved two years ago, the only special considerations at that time were going to be the Signatures. I really expected the reservation sequence #s to follow in order regardless of battery size because again, at that time, no other expectations had been communicated. Then the pressure to finalize is applied to lock-in and avoid the price increase, but wait.... despite telling you Nov/Dec, we aren't making your car until Mar/Apr and now that has been extended to "later this summer." Its questionable that they sold the DOE on the loan pitching $50k cars but 8 months after production starts.... you still cant get one or a credulous date. I have been following this for three years and understand the big picture and everything that has been accomplished, but at this point, I am the joke in the office "when are you getting your car?" Stock holder and fanboy..... just venting.

I finalized 11/16/2012 for 40Kwh with Standard suspension and my paperwork says "Vehicle to be delivered on or about: Early 2013" (I'd been told April/May time frame previously.) The update in their earnings stating summer is a bit of a surprise.

+1. Later this summer? Really Tesla? Summer is June-September. I hope it's just a worst-case comment to allow Tesla to do a PR sandbag, of "see we are delivering 40kw packs earlier than expected".

Lately, I've begun to wonder what the EPA mileage on the 40kw pack would be, since my 85Kw Model S can eat easily average 450-500watt /mi running the city streets with the HVAC on. Freeway driving is more efficient, but since the 40 is touted as sort of this "around town" car, it has the potential to deviate more from the "advertised" mileage than other packs. Hopefully the 40kw will be more efficient from the weight savings or some other optimization.

These May-June delivery estimates now seem to be the earliest the 40 kwH cars will be delivered. ccording to the Tesla Q4 Shareholders report, "Delivery of cars with the 40 kWh battery pack is expected to begin later this summer." Wonder what the reason for the delay is?

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2316002006x0x637040/4e3260f0-b711-47df-9c9e-16a8dda99a19/Q4'12%20SHL%20022013%20final.pdf

D'OH...

Since summer is normally June, July & August then "Later this summer" could be... still quite a ways away. Bummer.

I could look on the bright side... more time to perfect the build process and fix any bugs. I'm keeping the car forever, what difference does another month or three make...

Or maybe I could upgrade to the 60 kwh... not sure if I'd have to pay 2013 prices in that case. Also not sure I could do that and stay married. :)

FYI, from their website forums:
(No update indicating delays)

WHEN WILL 40 KWH CARS, 60 KWH CARS, STANDARD SUSPENSION AND NEW 2013 RED BEGIN PRODUCTION?
nkinkaid@teslam... | DECEMBER 3, 2012
60 kWh cars will begin production in January 2013. Deliveries will begin in January/early February.

40 kWh cars will begin production in March 2013. Deliveries will begin in March/early April.

Our original plan was to deliver 5,000 Model S in 2012. In our November letter to shareholders, we reduced our 2012 plan to between 2,500 and 3,000 while reaffirming 20,000 deliveries in 2013. This basically "shifted" our production ramp back about two months for all options not available at start of production. Our original plan was to begin production of 60 kWh cars in November, 40 kWh cars and Standard (Coil) Suspension in January, and new Red exterior paint in March. Our current production ramp takes this original plan and shifts each item back approximately two months except for the new Red.

Below is the current Production Sequencing Timeline for 2013:

60 kWh Model S with Active Air Suspension will phase into production in January 2013
40 kWh Model S will phase into production in March 2013
40, 60 and 85 kWh cars with Standard Suspension will begin production in March 2013
2013 Red multi-coat paint will begin production in March 2013 (no change from original plan)
Once we begin producing Model S with each option, your sequence number and order date will determine your placement in the build schedule. We will be producing about 400 cars per week as each option phases into production, so cars will flow fairly quickly once production of a particular option begins.

We will continue to provide regular updates regarding these options as each gets closer to phasing into production. We have not done a great job at all in the past regarding communication on these items. I fully acknowledge our shortfall in this area. We now have a much better understanding of what it will take to bring each of these options into production and will do a much better job of communicating about them going forward. Rest assured we will move as quickly as possible on each item.

We will be announcing 60 kWh 5-cycle EPA range certification soon. This puts us on track for a January start of 60 kWh Model S production.

I talked to a Tesla representative today and was told that the 40kWh cars will start delivery sometime this summer. He wouldn't give me any clues as to what that meant. This is now the 3rd delay for me DEC/JAN to MAR/APR and now anything from May to Sept????? His call was in response to an e-mail I sent to try to get a better time frame on my delivery. I am P6931 and not happy.

I talked to a Tesla representative today and was told that the 40kWh cars will start delivery sometime this summer. He wouldn't give me any clues as to what that meant. This is now the 3rd delay for me DEC/JAN to MAR/APR and now anything from May to Sept????? His call was in response to an e-mail I sent to try to get a better time frame on my delivery. I am P6931 and not happy.

gocken2 - check out the "40's need a fix" thread over at the TeslaMotors forum. I think you'll feel right at home. There's a ground swell of similar feelings growing.

Last edited:
After reading the entire "40s need a fix," I am confident that this issue is now at the higher levels of Tesla. I am running numbers to "sell" myself on the 60kwh in case an upgrade is offered at the 2012 price. A few sacrifices will be required of the family (no vacation etc.) but I think we can and want to do it. After 400k on two Prii, I am so ready for a Model S.

I'm more inclined to believe that they are running into some technical issues with the 40kw pack. Seems like there's a good reason the RAV 4EV was California "only". I wonder if that was due to cold-weather impact on the range. We saw what happened to Broder's car when he left it unplugged overnight on a cold night. With the 40kw your margin for error becomes extremely small in cold climates. It's not about leaving it unplugged at night (you will have to plug it in), but leaving it unplugged on a cold day at work.

With a 50 mile commute, say you start off with a standard charge at 110 miles, you could find yourself needing to charge somewhere if it's a cold day and you've been running the heater. Compound the fact that they haven't fixed the sleep issue and losing 4KW a day just on vampire losses doesn't help. It'll be even worse if you run a lot of short errands and city/hill driving.

With a 50 mile commute, say you start off with a standard charge at 110 miles, you could find yourself needing to charge somewhere if it's a cold day and you've been running the heater. Compound the fact that they haven't fixed the sleep issue and losing 4KW a day just on vampire losses doesn't help. It'll be even worse if you run a lot of short errands and city/hill driving.

Anybody buying a 40 kWh with a 100 mile roundtrip commute is just asking for problems, IMHO. That person should be buying the 60 minimally!

Anybody buying a 40 kWh with a 100 mile roundtrip commute is just asking for problems, IMHO. That person should be buying the 60 minimally!

I should have written 50 mile total commute. it's quite feasible that a lot of city driving, mixed with the heater, vampire losses during the day could leave you wishing for the 60kw pack. Especially if it's cold and windy throughout the day.

I should have written 50 mile total commute. it's quite feasible that a lot of city driving, mixed with the heater, vampire losses during the day could leave you wishing for the 60kw pack. Especially if it's cold and windy throughout the day.

Wait. You're saying a 50 mile total commute could exceed the limits of 40kwh? If it gets an EPA range of 120... you think worst case will be less than half that?

Nowhere have I heard such dire prediction.

Wait. You're saying a 50 mile total commute could exceed the limits of 40kwh? If it gets an EPA range of 120... you think worst case will be less than half that?

Nowhere have I heard such dire prediction.

I agree half that would be pushing it but the 120 is a range charge which you would want to avoid on a daily basis. If EPA standard charge is 90% that (or 108) then using ChadS's 77% rule for worst case weather brings you down to 83 miles. Still a decent buffer but in 8 years if the pack is down 10% you have a smaller buffer for unexpected side trips. If you have a place to charge at work then there is no problem. The 40 kWh would still work for this commute you'd just have to keep all of this in mind and watch things a little more carefully. With the 60 kWh you'd never even really have to look at your range for that commute.

Is case anyone hasn't seen it, George posted the following reply regarding the 40 kWh production on the TM forum (link here):

"Hi all,

Thanks for the various notes I received about our comment in the recent shareholder letter regarding delivery timing of 40 kWh battery cars.

The confusion is my fault. When I reviewed the shareholder letter, I read the portions related to my area and not the final summary at the end. In the summary it said we would be delivering 40 kWh battery cars "later this summer." That is correct for those who place a reservation now, but not for those who already have a reservation.

40 kWh battery modules are on schedule to start phasing into battery production in March. They will work their way to the vehicle production line in April and will begin final assembly into cars by the end of April. Customer deliveries will begin at the end of April or the first half of May...not "later this summer."

Sorry for the confusion. This is a few weeks after previously stated, but not a 3 to 4 month delay as shown in the shareholder letter.

GeorgeB"

Last edited: