Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Confirm Suspension Improvement on Latest VINs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We leased our 204XXX VIN Model Y LR around 18 months ago and are now looking to purchase a family utility EV vehicle to replace it. We have both a Rivian and another Model Y LR on order, with expected Q1 delivery for both. The Model Y has been shockingly good in most ways, however the suspension has gone from annoying to just unacceptable for us. Even with the 19 inch Geminis on better aftermarket tires aired down a few PSI, the car beats the living snot of of you in pretty much all conditions, to the point where we dread road trips. Many would say the Rivian is an obvious alternative due to air suspension, but they are having serious drivetrain refinement issues, with no resolution in sight. Ryan Shaw's recent video mentioned "36 Model Y suspension revisions" which gave me hope for getting another Model Y. Has anyone upgraded from a VIN similar to ours to a newer 500XXX+ VIN and noticed an improved suspension?

I have heard some folks say the suspension has improved but it's hard to tell if anything has really changed. You would think Tesla would mention if there were substantial upgrades.

On the other hand, I still hear folks complain about the suspension even in newer models. It's all pretty subjective IMO.

I'm considering the BMW iX or the new Macan EV next time due to the MY's rough ride.

I saw a YouTube video saying that Tesla did 30 changes on the suspension. The video quotes info from an employee. My personal experience - I drove a 2021 MY and hated the ride. Too harsh from me. I’ve owned BMW and Mercedes. I still got a 2022 MY LR with inductions.,(accepted delivery 2 weeks ago)as there was no other car I liked inspire of the harsh ride. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The ride is very smooth. I even had the 2021 owner drive mine and he said the same thing.
Ride is subjective, but I can attest to the fact that 2022 MY is smoother in comparison to 2021

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I saw a YouTube video saying that Tesla did 30 changes on the suspension. The video quotes info from an employee. My personal experience - I drove a 2021 MY and hated the ride. Too harsh from me. I’ve owned BMW and Mercedes. I still got a 2022 MY LR with inductions.,(accepted delivery 2 weeks ago)as there was no other car I liked inspire of the harsh ride. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The ride is very smooth. I even had the 2021 owner drive mine and he said the same thing.
Ride is subjective, but I can attest to the fact that 2022 MY is smoother in comparison to 2021
Forgive the spelling mistakes.. stupid autocorrect lol

I had 2020, 2021, and currently a 2022 MYLR, all identical specs. I can tell the 2020 and 2021 were equally harsh, the 2022's ride is noticeably improved when I was drivng the 21 and 22 back to back before selling the 21.

For a suspension harshness scale, I have the following at home:
2018 F-150 Raptor
2020 Porsche 911 (992) Carrera S
2022 BMW M5 LCI Competition
2022 Porsche 718 Spyder

The 2020/2021 Model Y's suspension, to me is as harsh as the Sport Plus setting of the M5 but the much worse structure rigidity of EV make it feel like even worse. The 2022 is more like the 992, minus the structure rigidity part

• Informative
Reactions: Anser and tm1v2
I had 2020, 2021, and currently a 2022 MYLR, all identical specs. I can tell the 2020 and 2021 were equally harsh, the 2022's ride is noticeably improved when I was drivng the 21 and 22 back to back before selling the 21.

For a suspension harshness scale, I have the following at home:
2018 F-150 Raptor
2020 Porsche 911 (992) Carrera S
2022 BMW M5 LCI Competition
2022 Porsche 718 Spyder

The 2020/2021 Model Y's suspension, to me is as harsh as the Sport Plus setting of the M5 but the much worse structure rigidity of EV make it feel like even worse. The 2022 is more like the 992, minus the structure rigidity part

Thank you very much, that comparison info is very helpful! We also have a Giulia in the stable and the Tesla is noticeably harsher than the Alfa even with the dampers in the stiffest setting.

Reactions: impinth06
I had an 11k 2020 LR with Inductions and the ride was harsh and rough and loud. The rear suspension was always very loud going over bumps.

I have a 22 MYP now F556 and even with the 21’s vs the 20’s the ride is greatly improved. I dont know what they did either but the car is actually comfortable now. The ride is still firm but not once yet have I thought it was harsh and driving on the same roads with both cars I can with certainty say the ride is night and day better.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and impinth06
We leased our 204XXX VIN Model Y LR around 18 months ago and are now looking to purchase a family utility EV vehicle to replace it. We have both a Rivian and another Model Y LR on order, with expected Q1 delivery for both. The Model Y has been shockingly good in most ways, however the suspension has gone from annoying to just unacceptable for us. Even with the 19 inch Geminis on better aftermarket tires aired down a few PSI, the car beats the living snot of of you in pretty much all conditions, to the point where we dread road trips. Many would say the Rivian is an obvious alternative due to air suspension, but they are having serious drivetrain refinement issues, with no resolution in sight. Ryan Shaw's recent video mentioned "36 Model Y suspension revisions" which gave me hope for getting another Model Y. Has anyone upgraded from a VIN similar to ours to a newer 500XXX+ VIN and noticed an improved suspension?
SAs have confirmed that this report is wrong. They tell me only the 4680 model Y’s (which you cannot even order at this time) will have the new comfort suspension. The AWD extended range model Y I have reserved was manufactured on December 9 (2022) in Austin and it does NOT have the upgraded suspension.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
find someone in your area that has taken delivery of a MYLR recently. Test drive or do a ride-along.

it's the only way you're going to be able to decide for yourself.
There aren't many 2023 demo cars out there yet, the existing ones are only just now being sold off.

SAs have now confirmed that only the 4680 model Y’s (which you cannot even order at this time) will have the new comfort suspension. U have a 2023 AWD extended range model Y I have reserved was manufactured on December 9 (2022) in Austin and it does NOT have the upgraded suspension.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
heapmaster, can you also take photos of where i can find those part numbers please. i am picking up mylr awd from Austin in 2 days
Ill be using these if they are correct:

They state they should be on tags on them...

I did notice a tag on the front ones when I was looking to see if I had a front single cast (just a confirmed rear cast like usual).