Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone consider moving to a model y from an s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. Having some ambivalence. I have an awesome trouble free model s that someone offerred me a good price for but with 82k miles on it (2016 model year and refreshed so out of warranty). My car is in great shape but was debating selling for similar cost to a new model y. Anyone move from their s to model y? I emphasize my car has been trouble free but ive never kept cars out of warranty and wasnt sure what id be in for after getting to 100k (i do about 2000-2200 mi per month). Otherwise would
I be fine just keeping the s. Also
Of note i have the sunroof which i love and discontinued silver color. Looking
For any advice any can provide esp about those who consideref a y or those with experience w high mileage model s and what to expect cost wise for any repairs.

Reactions: Joesage
I went from a 2015 P85D to a Model Y. My battery was capped and charging was crippled to the point where I couldn’t even take it out of town.

I feel like the Y is the better build out of the two. A 2016 S w/AP2 may be a different story.

The only thing I really miss is the air suspension (and I’m guessing the heated steering wheel once winter rolls around)

Got it just read about
It. I guess 90d in my model
Year have not been affected. Anyone w high mileage model s who can tell me what im in for cost wise vs just changing out to a model y?
I can tell you I had a drive unit and MCU replaced (in warranty thankfully). My S had just over 40K miles when I sold it.

Out of warranty cost would have been $15K

My S is out of warranty just turning 100,000 miles. We love the car with the exception of the battery capping and charge rate capping. The A/C blower motor went out a few weeks ago and it was a piece of cake to replace. If you are handy at all, most things are easy especially if you can find any instructions posted somewhere by others who have ventured into repairing territory. Planning on keeping the S and adding a Y for the lady.

Maybe if I was coming from a pre-Raven then I could tolerate the Y's ride quality, but having acclimated to the smoothness of our Raven S I crossed the Y from consideration after a test drive. I know it's more money but, based on what's available today, I would only consider a Raven X to replace our Raven S.

Have a 2015 85D (no air suspension). Looks like, to date (at 59k miles), we've spent $4250 on out-of-warranty or "wear and tear / not warranty eligible" work (and that's not even including tires). Probably another $1000 coming up (MCU daughterboard, driver's side AC condenser fan starting to squeak). Not to mention the many in-warranty issues.

That said, we did a test drive of the Y last week. Enjoyed the extra room in the rear, but the front felt more cramped especially for headroom. The wife and I could not think of a time where the S lacked cargo space that the Y would have resolved. Probably would save time if we did the 1100 mile roadtrip to see family, but from losing FUSC, I don't know what the cost comparison to just using our ICE second vehicle would be. As such, decided getting a Y would not have enough changes to be worth the $$$. Might reassess in another year if we DO run into other issues or something changes with the Y configuration, but for now we're standing pat.

Having test drove both I ended up going for the S despite the cost.

I was dead set on getting the model y until I drive model S. I really wanted to like the Y but personally the interior just did not seem as luxurious as I would want it to be, and as I stated before the drive quality was like driving on clouds compared to the Y. My wife was in the car with me during the test drive for both and she actually a little nauseous in the Y (but that's partially because I was learning regenerative braking and gunning a little more than I normally do)

The additional range on the long-range + S was also a consideration. If they put in adaptive air suspension and increase the range on the Y, I would have probably gone for that despite not liking the interior as much (but that personal preference). We'll see what battery day changes!

I had to sell both of my Tesla Model S vehicles.

2014 Black Tesla Model S 85 with pano roof and 191K miles. Out of warranty costs are negligible for such an expensive vehicle. It still drove flawlessly - sold it for $27,400 which is what I owed on it. I had negotiated the payment down to $700 from $1,200 per month.

2016 Blue Tesla Model S P100DL with pano roof and 50K miles. It was sad to see it go, but I could no longer afford the $1,800 per month payment. Took a bath trading it in for a base $30K Mazda CX-9 (needed a 7-passenger vehicle) - also traded in a Ford Focus electric to help with the gap. They gave me $60K for the trade + tax offset. I owed $74K. New payment is $800 per month.

I test drove the Model Y and loved it - I think it is the best Tesla to date (until the Cybertruck comes out). If I were financially able, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I still wanted an electric vehicle, so I found a 2016 Black + Red Kia Soul EV for $12,750 - payment $220 per month.

Brent

Just rolled past 110,000 miles on my 2015 Model S 85D. Paid it off in 3 years and plan on keeping and maintaining it until maintenance cost becomes unreasonable, which could be a long, long time. Common long term maintenance items:

-MCU eMMC upgrade (I would do this first)
-12V battery...depending on your daily driving pattern, may need to replace more or less frequently
-Air suspension at some point (I have coils)
-Pano roof (I have solid roof)
-usual wheel and tire items
-usual HVAC items

I may be missing something but that's just off the top of my head. Having a great resource like TMC where enthusiasts and owners can share knowledge was a big part of my decision to purchase and keep the Model S for a long time. Batterygate sucks but I only supercharge a few times a month and the slower supercharging hasn't significantly affected my existence. As long as Tesla continues to honor the 8 yr / unlimited mileage battery and DU warranty, I'll deal with it.

I am not interested in switching to the Model Y because I love my S too much. May consider one as a replacement for our Bolt EV someday, but we love that one too. It really is a different mindset once the car payments are finished--especially with EVs.

Maybe if I was coming from a pre-Raven then I could tolerate the Y's ride quality, but having acclimated to the smoothness of our Raven S I crossed the Y from consideration after a test drive. I know it's more money but, based on what's available today, I would only consider a Raven X to replace our Raven S.
I must say I agree with you. The Y does ride a little harsh. We have a 2018 X and did an Hour ride in a Y one weekend. I guess I can get use to it. We're getting one so I'll make it work, but do agree with you.

Very helpful. Ive been more and more convinced to keep my s these days. It still drives like a dream and has no issues. I guess coming from the ice age i get a little scared out of warranty but sounds like for the most part the issues are negligible.

i too was not enamored by the Y on my recent test drive and hated the reliance on single screen but I suppose part of me thought perhaps a benefit on a newer car etc.

I hear what you are saying....Mu wife has a 2019 (Jun) Model 3 LR and loves it....I have a 2020 Model S LR+ and am quite happy.....I put $100 down on Cybertruck and want to give my wife the "S" and trade or sell the M3....Sha won't have any part of that....She loves her blue / white M3.....So, I guess I will trade the Model S for the Truck....WHat do you think it will be worth in Mar 2022.? I am getting the tri-motor with FSD

I hear what you are saying....Mu wife has a 2019 (Jun) Model 3 LR and loves it....I have a 2020 Model S LR+ and am quite happy.....I put $100 down on Cybertruck and want to give my wife the "S" and trade or sell the M3....Sha won't have any part of that....She loves her blue / white M3.....So, I guess I will trade the Model S for the Truck....WHat do you think it will be worth in Mar 2022.? I am getting the tri-motor with FSD
It will be worth about half what you paid for it. Maybe less if there is a refresh between now and then.

The Y is a great car, it is far cheaper than the S, and should be "good enough" for most people (which is why it will sell in far higher volumes). Especially since it charges faster, handles better, is easier to park, and can come with a factory hitch receiver.

However, if you don't mind the price difference (when buying new; doesn't apply to the OP's S), here are some advantages to the S. Not all will apply to everybody:
  • Flatter (longer and wider, as opposed to taller in the Y) cargo area means things like a bike fits in back easier
  • More unique (and better looking!)
  • Free supercharging (depending on when you buy)
  • Better autopilot controls (IMO having used both extensively; I wrote up details in another thread)
  • Better warranty
  • Better seats
  • Second screen – easier to see more info at once
  • Biohazard filter
  • Smoother and quieter
  • Quite a bit quicker
  • MO RANGE!
  • Adjustable suspension
And in the OP's case, a well-used S will depreciate less than a new Y. And it has a sunroof.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Having some ambivalence. I have an awesome trouble free model s that someone offerred me a good price for but with 82k miles on it (2016 model year and refreshed so out of warranty). My car is in great shape but was debating selling for similar cost to a new model y. Anyone move from their s to model y? I emphasize my car has been trouble free but ive never kept cars out of warranty and wasnt sure what id be in for after getting to 100k (i do about 2000-2200 mi per month). Otherwise would
I be fine just keeping the s. Also
Of note i have the sunroof which i love and discontinued silver color. Looking
For any advice any can provide esp about those who consideref a y or those with experience w high mileage model s and what to expect cost wise for any repairs.

Thinking about it! 2015 85D with 55k miles with another 2+ years left on the used Tesla warranty. I do think the S looks better but AP1 depreciation is much worse than AP2 or higher. FUSC is nice but I barely use SC's. Still rockin' MCU1 and it randomly reboots maybe once every few months so not bad. Gonna test drive a Y for the first time this Friday. My sister in law just traded in their M3 RWD for a Y last week and stole the color I wanted!!