Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Considering the 2015 Cayenne eHybrid if MX keeps delaying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It uses gas so........ NO!

- - - Updated - - -

It is certainly not apples to apples as a plug-in hybrid but it still qualifies for $5,335.60 in Federal tax credit and will almost certainly be readily available before the MX.

If you want to settle for less than the best be my guest. Have fun at the pump.

The X will be on the road in 7 month's or so if you reserved early like me. Good things come to those who wait.

My point really was that I doubt you will ever see a single pump with a nozzle for gasoline, a nozzle for diesel, a J1772 plug, and a Supercharger connector all integrated into a single unit. I also doubt it would be a good idea to have electric car parking spaces directly adjacent to gasoline filling spots. The instant there was a fire of any sort, every single I'mWitlessNews correspondent will swear that the fire was 'sparked' by the electric car. The news would spread, no matter how incorrect, and they would never bother with a retraction or correction.

I suspect that, this being a rather litigious society, and having seen video of gasoline fumes igniting from mere static electricity, it has been determined that having a high voltage AC or DC charging station in close proximity to or sharing the premises with a gas station is probably not a good idea in the United States of America.

My point really was that I doubt you will ever see a single pump with a nozzle for gasoline, a nozzle for diesel, a J1772 plug, and a Supercharger connector all integrated into a single unit. I also doubt it would be a good idea to have electric car parking spaces directly adjacent to gasoline filling spots. The instant there was a fire of any sort, every single I'mWitlessNews correspondent will swear that the fire was 'sparked' by the electric car. The news would spread, no matter how incorrect, and they would never bother with a retraction or correction.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't understand you were talking about a single pump delivery system on your first post. I thought you were talking about charging near (or in proximity to) a gasoline pump, not from the gasoline pump itself.

Just to be clear, the gas stations that I've seen with EV charging stations, have the EV charging separate of the tank. E.g. on the other side of the gas station building, or on a corner of the lot, so clearly separate. I'm sure there are some burning liquids/electricity safety regulations that dictate it, but common sense too: no point in combining the two, since they are logically and logistically different beasts.

Combining a charging cable to a gas tank would be silly, of course. And I doubt we'd get to the part where a spark ignites it all, because the riot would have levelled the station before that - that started after all gas tanks were be occupied by EVs charging for a few hours during Christmas rush. :) Gas tank is merely stopped at, an EV charging station is parked at (currently anyway).

Just to be clear, the gas stations that I've seen with EV charging stations, have the EV charging separate of the tank. E.g. on the other side of the gas station building, or on a corner of the lot, so clearly separate. I'm sure there are some burning liquids/electricity safety regulations that dictate it, but common sense too: no point in combining the two, since they are logically and logistically different beasts.

Well, not exactly on the other side of the building. Not in the examples I gave, above. Both places put the Roadster HPC where it would be convenient for customers. For instance, here is Sequential Biofuels in Eugene:

Sequential Biofuels.png

Well, not exactly on the other side of the building. Not in the examples I gave, above. Both places put the Roadster HPC where it would be convenient for customers. For instance, here is Sequential Biofuels in Eugene:

Sure, that is not at odds with my experiences either. Separate may mean different things depending on the layout of the service station, of course. Nice to see your example, thank you for that. Seems convenient and safe too.

By the way, you mention Roadster HPC - I must admit my noobness (and also because EU Teslas use different connectors), are the HPC's you mention not compatible with Tesla Model S? (I know Roadster can't Supercharge, but that's a different story.)

I'm sure there are some burning liquids/electricity safety regulations that dictate it

The voltage across a spark plug is typically tens of THOUSANDS of Volts. Many, many times more than the high voltage in any electric car. Much lower current, of course, but when talking about electricity near flammable liquids, it's the probability of a spark that matters.

So, gasoline engines should be banned from gasoline stations. It's just not safe.

Last edited:
The voltage across a spark plug is typically tens of THOUSANDS of Volts. Many, many times more than the high voltage in any electric car. Much lower current, of course, but when talking about electricity near flammable liquids, it's the probability of a spark that matters.

So, gasoline engines should be banned from gasoline stations. It's just not safe.

We are all in agreement about banning gasoline, gasoline stations and gasoline engines. :)