Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone delaying purchase for smart air suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Air suspension can be very expensive if it breaks and it doesn't give you the same road feel as with coils. If driving a nimble car, sometimes you want that feedback.

Yup. I wouldn't want SAS even if they offered it.

Now if they offered a genuine performance suspension with magnetorheological dampers- that I'd be willing to wait/pay for- but they never have, and I doubt they're going to start anytime soon.

Reactions: JeffK
Yup. I wouldn't want SAS even if they offered it.

Now if they offered a genuine performance suspension with magnetorheological dampers- that I'd be willing to wait/pay for- but they never have, and I doubt they're going to start anytime soon.

I would speculate that Tesla may start a "Telsa Racing Division" down the line when they release the new Roadster. They could start offering more hardcore, racing focused packages under the in house tuner banner like everyone has at the moment.

I'm currently waiting for any news on the air suspension option. The end of my driveway is steep enough that I believe the car will scrape without those few extra inches of ground clearance. (I've scraped my Prius on it more times than I'd like to admit.)

If I can get a test drive in a performance model I can test it on the driveway, that might make my decision for me.

I'm currently waiting for any news on the air suspension option. The end of my driveway is steep enough that I believe the car will scrape without those few extra inches of ground clearance. (I've scraped my Prius on it more times than I'd like to admit.)

If I can get a test drive in a performance model I can test it on the driveway, that might make my decision for me.
A couple days ago, my family and I took a little trip to the San Juan islands. Had to get on a ferry, and those are some steep inclines to go from the road to the ferry over the ramp. Scraped the front of the Prius. If I'd been paying closer attention, I would have approached at more of an angle and it would have prevented it. (I paid closer attention the second ferry ride, and didn't scrape at all.)

As the Prius scraped, I was thinking "I really would not want to scrape the front of my 3 when I get it". Really was hoping for SAS, but I can't delay, so I'll just have to be vigilant about inclines.

The "waiting forever for the next feature" is such a tired response. SAS is not vaporware. It's an acknowledged upgrade that's coming and been a standard feature on the S for many years. If it's important to you, then I'd say it's worth the wait. I wouldn't buy a car without it. It's such a useful feature with curbs and inclines as well as an aesthetic improvement when you want it.

The "waiting forever for the next feature" is such a tired response. SAS is not vaporware. It's an acknowledged upgrade that's coming and been a standard feature on the S for many years. If it's important to you, then I'd say it's worth the wait. I wouldn't buy a car without it. It's such a useful feature with curbs and inclines as well as an aesthetic improvement when you want it.
Actually, it's only been a standard for a little while on the S.

Last edited:
The end of my driveway is steep enough that I believe the car will scrape without those few extra inches of ground clearance. (I've scraped my Prius on it more times than I'd like to admit.)

9 out of 10 driveways in mountainous areas are just like this.

The performance M3 is lowered, so that won’t help indicate.

There are a lot of dirt roads where I live and when in the spring "mud season" those roads are mud by day and frozen ruts late night and morning. I am holding out for the air suspension unless I love it with springs so much during a test drive I get irrational o_O

Reactions: F_T_K
I agree and will wait for it. Had it on both of my Tesla's, S and X. It really does help.

I personally have 0 interest in the air suspension- it's inferior handling, more expensive to repair, and the ride is already "soft" enough for my taste on the 3 without it... but certainly if I had some crazy steep driveway or something where I'd otherwise scrape, or wanted the grandpa caddy ride I could see the value in it...

FWIW Tesla has officially said air suspension is coming this year-

Tesla on Twitter

At a totally wild guess I'd say probably announce after end of Q2 to push Q3 sales since it's the most in need of incentive quarter for Tesla sales this year...(Q2 and Q4 will have some incentive around expiring federal tax credits)

Reactions: VQTRVA
I already bought my P3D, so clearly I'm not waiting. However, I would have ordered a performance Y if there was an air suspension option. Maybe at some point there will be and I'll bite. Air suspension is pretty useful here in the mountains when you need extra clearance for bad roads and snow.