Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone denied warranty coverage of powertrain who had a trailer hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP was talking about drive train issues due to towing. That’s not a minor expense.

Not sure how a 12V issue would come into play here but small claims court is always an option.
The most recent discussion is about the trailer hitch voiding the 12V battery warranty. In this case, you won't necessarily win either because it certainly is plausible the hitch played a role in killing the battery.

That would take a single hour in court with a competent attorney to rectify. Then you could sue for damages.

I think even Tesla would tread lightly in that scenario.
Attorneys cost money, a lot of money, stupid amounts of money. Companies can easily deplete most people's willingness to hire an attorney. Doesn't take too many hours at $275.00/hr for a consumer to realize how expensive taking something to court is and just opt to drop it.

Reactions: Jejunjm
Attorneys cost money, a lot of money, stupid amounts of money. Companies can easily deplete most people's willingness to hire an attorney. Doesn't take too many hours at $275.00/hr for a consumer to realize how expensive taking something to court is and just opt to drop it.
Tesla is known for just not showing up to court. in that case, they default and you win.

If the issue is over a $20K battery, I think $1000 in lawyers fees, which you can also recoup from Tesla, is worth it.

Small claims court cost nothing but filing fees. Which you can also recoup.

Don’t be afraid to go after a company that is treating you like *sugar*.

Tesla is known for just not showing up to court. in that case, they default and you win.

If the issue is over a $20K battery, I think $1000 in lawyers fees, which you can also recoup from Tesla, is worth it.

Small claims court cost nothing but filing fees. Which you can also recoup.

Don’t be afraid to go after a company that is treating you like *sugar*.
"They're not known for showing up in court" is not a reliable legal position. Small claims court is usually limited to $5K. An attorney, filing a lawsuit, can easily eat up $20K. I had a parking issue with my condo community and the cost just to write a letter was over $1,500. Just to write a friggen letter!

"They're not known for showing up in court" is not a reliable legal position. Small claims court is usually limited to $5K. An attorney, filing a lawsuit, can easily eat up $20K. I had a parking issue with my condo community and the cost just to write a letter was over $1,500. Just to write a friggen letter!
Like I said, I would pay the lawyer upfront if it’s a $20,000 battery issue and worry about recouping costs down the road.

Your strategy may be different.

Like I said, I would pay the lawyer upfront if it’s a $20,000 battery issue and worry about recouping costs down the road.

Your strategy may be different.
I wouldn't mind upfronting the $20K if I knew I was going to get it back. However with the legal system one never knows. Especially when the defendant can lose the case and refuse to reimburse legal fees. Then one has to spend more money trying to get the legal fees.

You may be willing to make such a risky bet, I would hazard a guess most would not. Unless your lawyer is willing to work on a contingency basis (most will not for this type of lawsuit) a company can stonewall a customer into submission. It cost me over $1,500 to have an attorney write a letter to my HOA about a parking issue. $1,500 just to write a single letter. After an additional $1,500 the issue remains a problem. The next step was to spend over $10K to initiate a lawsuit. The issue in question is clearly in my favor however I have to spend a minimum of $10K to initiate a lawsuit in an attempt to resolve the issue. $10K that doesn't guarantee the outcome in my favor (though the governing documents clearly support me) and even worse no guarantee I would be reimbursed even if I was successful.

I don't like it but that's the reality of the legal system, at least in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: DayTrippin
I wouldn't mind upfronting the $20K if I knew I was going to get it back. However with the legal system one never knows. Especially when the defendant can lose the case and refuse to reimburse legal fees. Then one has to spend more money trying to get the legal fees.

I don't like it but that's the reality of the legal system, at least in the US.

I am going through this now on a much bigger scale for dealing with an insurance company claim. We are now going on 7 months. I went down every avenue before finally getting an attorney. It is now going on 7 months and still no resolution as the company is stonewalling at every turn and trying to make us give up. Even though I have almost everything on my side, there are no guarantees we'll win in court. There is enough money at stake where I could easily buy a refreshed Model S LR and almost a Plaid.

We are going to see it to the end no matter what at this point and hope we get our legal costs reimbursed at the end. It is a pretty big crap shoot at this point. At this point it isn't just about the dollars but the principle. I am not one to give up when someone deals with us in bad faith. I had to have to go through all this with our car as well. Even with great lawyers, there is still a lot of risk involved.

As for HOAs, they can be like a system run by dictators or fascists. I had an issue where even though I did exactly as outlined in the rules, they fined us $100/day and put a lien against our house. They didn't even notify us by certified mail when the supposed infraction took place and we only got a certfied notice when the were plaing a lien against our property. Stalin would be proud of these people.

Not having to deal with any of this is why I posed the original question. I didn't want to have to risk a lot if simply put a hitch on the Model S and some drivetrain or battery issue they would then attribute to towing even though the MX tows with pretty much the same drivetrain.

Reactions: Jejunjm
What is an MVPA document? I checked the documents which came with my car and all I have is the "Roadside Assistance" and "Safety Information" booklets (which I believe are all that comes with the car). Is this the online documentation within the car itself?
Go into your account on a browser. It will have the purchase documents which you can download.

Reactions: Sunny5280
Go into your account on a browser. It will have the purchase documents which you can download.
I am not seeing anything in my account. When I select my vehicle (manage) I choose the Glovebox option (which states "Contracts and other documents") and all I see is the option to view the owners manual. I've poked around at various links in the account and see nothing about any other documents or contracts.

I am not seeing anything in my account. When I select my vehicle (manage) I choose the Glovebox option (which states "Contracts and other documents") and all I see is the option to view the owners manual. I've poked around at various links in the account and see nothing about any other documents or contracts.
Did you purchase the vehicle from Tesla or a private party/third-party dealer?