Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone didn't opt the Ultra HiFi Sound System?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am actually a hard core on high fidelity and my gear at home worth more than a P85D. However I found the Ultra sound system does not have a good quality of bass and I would have to adjust fewer bass to avoid blooming sound anyway if I opt this option. I noted that the different I paid would only get four more 3" speaker at front and back plus a 8-inch subwoofer, and the amp will also be upgraded from 2xx to 5xx watt power (but I was told the power amp were the same when test driving).

I sometimes willing to pay $50K for a pair of speaker cable but I just didn't think I would pay $20K for the upgrade, maybe I thought it would not be able to satisfy me anyway and I'd rather spend time at home if really want some serious audition.

But I just noted that the power amp are actually different after went thru some of the thread here and now make me think the base system sound might not be acceptable at all due to 3xx watt power less. I really don't have any expectation on car stereo, but I am just afraid I really can't live with the base system. But there is no point to pay $20K for something I think is just ok, maybe in order words, not worth it.

Can Lerxt please kindly elaborate more on the two systems beside the bass quantity? Thanks.

MY thinking on the situation is:

I've gone for the upgraded sound with the hopes of it sounding good enough to not need much additional work.

Also, having the upgraded sound, hopefully will mean that the car has stand alone amps and other wiring which I can more easily install upgrades on.

Won't know how wrong I am until delivery in May... Fingers crossed..

I've got the base level system and I think it is fine. I am not really picky about that type of thing, but I am aware of it. The sound system has a lot less noise to "overcome" in terms of engine and wind noise.

I found the sound to be REALLY clear on some MP3's, which is not my usual experience.

MY thinking on the situation is:

I've gone for the upgraded sound with the hopes of it sounding good enough to not need much additional work.

Also, having the upgraded sound, hopefully will mean that the car has stand alone amps and other wiring which I can more easily install upgrades on.

Won't know how wrong I am until delivery in May... Fingers crossed..

i think you made a right move if you have plan to upgrade the sound system, at least save some wiring time.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got the base level system and I think it is fine. I am not really picky about that type of thing, but I am aware of it. The sound system has a lot less noise to "overcome" in terms of engine and wind noise.

I found the sound to be REALLY clear on some MP3's, which is not my usual experience.

Do you aware the base system have no bass at all? this is what the owner advisor told me and suggest me to opt the ultra sound. But I think the 6 inch door side speakers should able to reproduce low frequency bass instead of what the owner advisor told me no bass at all.

i think you made a right move if you have plan to upgrade the sound system, at least save some wiring time.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you aware the base system have no bass at all? this is what the owner advisor told me and suggest me to opt the ultra sound. But I think the 6 inch door side speakers should able to reproduce low frequency bass instead of what the owner advisor told me no bass at all.

I will have a set of Morel 6" speaker and tweeter taken down from my existing. Do you know if they will fit for replacement?

I didn't get the upgraded sound system. I usually don't listen to music to avoid distraction from what's going on around me in traffic. When I turn it on, there is usually something very soon which means I will turn it off again anyway - like a conversation, phone call or similar. Having said that, I have now filled my Tesla USB key with music, so I can listen to what I want, when I want, without having to fiddle with the radio.

When I do use the sound system (the basic system), I find the quality quite OK. I turned it up a bit listening to Bohemian Rhapsody, and found the bass to be a little distorted at times - it seems there are some very low frequency sounds that makes either the sound system or adjacent material resonate.

I didn't get the upgraded sound system. I usually don't listen to music to avoid distraction from what's going on around me in traffic. When I turn it on, there is usually something very soon which means I will turn it off again anyway - like a conversation, phone call or similar. Having said that, I have now filled my Tesla USB key with music, so I can listen to what I want, when I want, without having to fiddle with the radio.

When I do use the sound system (the basic system), I find the quality quite OK. I turned it up a bit listening to Bohemian Rhapsody, and found the bass to be a little distorted at times - it seems there are some very low frequency sounds that makes either the sound system or adjacent material resonate.

Right, reproducing the Bohemian Rhapsody is really a challenging even on high end gears. I don't expect the upgrade sound can do that right at all, especially with the so called subwoofer is just a woofer installed in their tesla bassbox and those plastic mounting used for the mid-range woofers mounted on the side doors.......... I would only call the upgraded sound system an upgraded Surround Sound System and nothing close to high fidelity.

if the base system is musical enough , I think I would just live with it. Thanks for your info.

I will have a set of Morel 6" speaker and tweeter taken down from my existing. Do you know if they will fit for replacement?

I dont have any idea but I think I have read a thread here saying that they are 2 ohm 6" speakers at the front doors and 7.9" back door if Ultra sounds was installed.

Not sure any shop in HK able to modify the system but Tesla say will void the warranty due to more power might need to draw from the battery .

If I am ever concerned, I would probably spend the money (if i had had it) on something like Stax Lambda headphones. They are very expensive, even entry level models, but the best you can get in music experience. And also, you won't disturb your neighbour by a loud thumbing bass.

What format music files are you using? I suspect that if you use Bluetooth, it will sound awful using either system. I tested the system on the demo car (with Studio Sound) using .WAV files on a hard disk drive (instead of a flash drive), and it sounds fine. I am now trying to rip my CDs into FLAC (because I read that Tesla does not support Apple Lossless) in anticipation for my March delivery.