TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone DIY a heater for the front radar?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Murph85, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Murph85

Murph85 Member

As we all know the 'new' bumper shields the front radar better from snow, however it can still build up over the radar. Has anyone added a heater to the front to prevent this for long roadtrips?

I was thinking about it and I don't think it would be super difficult. Obviously a metal plate would be counter productive, however if it was a mesh was < 1/10th of the wavelength of the radar it shouldn't be a faradaycage, however I am not sure how much of an impact it would have. Just some quick math. 77Ghz = 3.8mm wavelength, and a quick search shows for a faradaycage 1/10 to 1/20th of the wavelength is required, so it looks like you'd have to have a pretty fine mesh for it to completely block the radar.

Idea #1, wirewound silicone mat
    Silicone Rubber Heater, wire wound, 5" x 5", 125 watts, 120v, 5 w/sq. in, 8" leads
    Pros: super easy, just need to glue it to the bumper in front of the radar
    Cons: might degrade the radar

Idea #2, IR heater
    5 inch Infrared Strip Heater, 500W
    Pros: won't mess with the radar
    Cons: way too expensive

Idea #3, long heated strip along the top of othe bumper
    Pros: not in the way of radar
    Cons: it would only work if the melted snow above the radar was enough to come down and melt the snow building up in front of the radar.

Idea #4, duct in warm air to heat the bumper from behind
    Pros: no interferance
    Cons: more complicated, will probably use a lot of power (compaired to just the headed pad)

Has anyone already solved this problem? Does anyone know about a type of heated pad that is RF transparent? I see some pads that use kapton, however it looks like that is just the material used around metal wires.

2. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

Checked clearance between radar and bumper?

3. arnis

arnis Member

MASSIVE!
    Ideas 1 and 2 are unappropriate. We need 12V heating element. Something like 10-30W. Not 125 nor 500:D:D

I think there are heating elements that do not act as faraday cage. Something not metallic. Maybe carbon based.

• Like x 1
  4. Murph85

Murph85 Member

I saw that there are some plastics that conduct heat like this: https://www.celanese.com/coolpoly I was also thinking that even something that doesn't mess with the radar much it might mess up a calibration built into the sensor.

i looked at the clearance and since it is so large the heated pad would have to be pretty big. I am liking the IR leds projecting light forward, i need to do some more research trying to find some good hardware and see if I can just 3d print a bracket. However I am not sure what the power requirements will be.

5. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

Elon tweet-

Long-term, the Tesla car will work purely on vision, with radar just a plus, but maybe worth adding a radar heater anyway-tweet