Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone DIY their own PPF on their Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having watched 30+ hours of you tube videos, I now have the false sense of confidence to do my own matte PPF install on my new MS. Might even do the chrome delete and smoke the windows/lights if things go well.

I'm going to forgo the pre-cut kits and buy bulk. However, I'm struggling to find any info on just how much material (and of what size) I need to get. For the price of this stuff, I'd rather not just way overbuy. Anyone ever do their MS and have a sense of what size of roll(s) I should order?

Thanks!

PS: bonus points of you can point me to a good online store where I can actually buy this stuff.

Reactions: Joesage
I also thought I could do it. Didn't have the balls to to go through with and risk blowing 1k on material and got it professionally done. My advice would be to just try vinyl wrapping it. Much cheaper if you mess up and decide you can't do it. You also definitely will need a second person to commit and an entire day to help you which I couldn't find lol. The second person really helps with the bigger panels and stretching the ppf. I don't think xpel sells rolls to you unless your a certified pro. But they do sell the precut kits I think

Last summer I had nothing to lose on my daughter's Subie Xtrek so I paid $130 for the hood edge and another $50 for the headlight and puddle lights. Spent one hour installing it, then played with heat gun then carefully with a #11 scalpel to burst the water bubbles. I used distilled water FYI. Result was stunning minus a central 2mm irregularity for a badly squeezed then cut off bubble on the hood. Not bad for a first job.
For the Tesla I would have hired a pro, for a fraction of what you guys pay in Beverly Hills.

This is psychological, just like my replica watch hobby, huge difference in attitude and levels of stress between gutting an $6k Omega vs its $35 pseudoidentical twin:)

bulk install will have a lot more waste. one full box is 50' and it can do about a car and half. if you're really going to undertake it yourself, its best to have more material than needed. plus u will always have an extra supply to fix panels that need to be redone or to fix future panels when it becomes damaged by debris or rocks. good luck with the project!

I did mine in wrap and Suntek. I tried Xpel but it was too thick for my low experience level. But Suntek can not 'self-heal' from scratches. If I were to do it again I'd use 3M.

I was careful and did everything right and it turned out quite well. You shouldn't end up with any bubbles -- implies you're not using a squeegee. (or properly)

Hardest parts in order of difficulty:
- Prep - this is key to your success or failure. Polish it to perfection; no dust, no nothing.
- Doing the back hatch -- stretching it over the tail, in my case without disturbing the grain of the black brushed steel. That was a booger.
- The front grilles with all the detail work.

Believe it or not, I straightened this out:

Wrap Suntech apply.jpg

Wrap applying2.jpg

Wrap applying trimmed.jpg

SunTek apply2.JPG

SunTek trim.JPG

Note: I deleted the chrome around the nose -- why accentuate this anacronism? I put on brushed black steel wrap similar to a Bugatti.
Wrap black front.jpg

Wrap black detail.jpg

Bonus: I also put on Scotchlite 580 black reflective on. Without flash:
Reflective no flash.jpg

With flash:
Reflective flash rear.jpg

Thanks. Yes, I believe I had two mistakes -

1. Not enough soap in the water. It was very sticky. When I did other pieces I added an additional 2-3 drops and it made a huge difference and the results were still good.

2. An overzealous helper that was squeegeeing everywhere without a plan. Trapping bubbles pretty solidly and making "snail tracks" (stretching) on some bubbles were pushed into areas that were already squeegeed down.

I did carefully clay bar and then two different polishes with a rotary polisher (had some nasty bird poop stains). It looked fantastic. I've left the messed up one on until I have a chance to swap it out so it stays good underneath.