Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone do radio restore after MCU2 upgrade yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has actually done the $500 restore of FM/XM tuner yet? I already had my MCU2 upgrade done a couple months ago when the radio option wasn’t available and now am seriously considering getting this done as well, but I haven’t heard much about it since it’s announcement. Is it already available now? I would like to hear if there are any physical modifications done because I think it says they add antennas too?

Just wanted to hear any real life accounts of the process and results. Thanks!

They don’t add antennas. They remove the driver’s side dash trim, remove the old analog canbus tuner, replace it with an Ethernet based tuner (connecting to the same existing antennas you have wired to the same place), run a single cable from the Ethernet tuner to the back of mcu2, and the configure the tuner to function in your gateway so that mcu2 can talk to the new tuner (this is a software config).

No antenna changes. Just a hardware swap with a single wire addition to the mcu2.

It is some labor to do though because removing and replacing the tuner isn’t physically the easiest thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Trebek1762 and bmah
I didn’t understand why they would need to add antennas either, but I’m just quoting the official Tesla upgrade page... see below.

Is there any way to keep access to AM, FM and Sirius XM radio?
Yes. Later in Q4 2020, Tesla will offer an additional Radio Upgrade, including the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas, that will allow customers to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

Note: Sirius XM radio is only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas and requires an additional subscription.

look forward to hearing about it - i'm in Toronto and the SC said they have no availability details on FM upgrade and to check back "in few months". I'm going in to the SC next week for service appt on something else. Will dig more in person on the FM upgrade. Assumed if it was rolling out in other parts of world that Canadians would have access too.

Reactions: kfly212
I forgot to follow-up on that thread but did on the EU-specific thread. I did the radio upgrade and ended up with FM + DAB+, works great. But I don’t have AM anymore which is fine as no radio in Switzerland emits in AM anymore (and FM will be switched off in 2024). But that might be different in the USA+CA as I know the AM band is still very much used and appreciated.

They don’t add antennas. They remove the driver’s side dash trim, remove the old analog canbus tuner, replace it with an Ethernet based tuner (connecting to the same existing antennas you have wired to the same place), run a single cable from the Ethernet tuner to the back of mcu2, and the configure the tuner to function in your gateway so that mcu2 can talk to the new tuner (this is a software config).

No antenna changes. Just a hardware swap with a single wire addition to the mcu2.

It is some labor to do though because removing and replacing the tuner isn’t physically the easiest thing.

I had the upgrade done today, a snippet from my service invoice follows:

"Retrofit for the FM tuner:
Replaced radio tuner and both antennas on the liftgate. Tested that radio works as designed."

The radio retrofit includes new antennas.

Just had mine done last week. late 2016 model facelift model s with premium sound.
99% sure it was just the Tuner module under the driver side dash and nothing to do with the physical Antennas.
You can see the tuner module(xm antena cables) if you put your steering wheel all the way up and look straight back on the left side. It is on the firewall. Yellow cables with a pink dot in center were SiriusXM antenna cables.

Concern: Additional Items for Radio Tuner Upgrade (Included)
Performed radio upgrade for infotainment upgrade. Updated firmware. Function tested Sirius XM radio and radio is now
working as designed.
Correction: Radio Upgrade, Model S LHD

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Just had mine done last week. late 2016 model facelift model s with premium sound.
99% sure it was just the Tuner module under the driver side dash and nothing to do with the physical Antennas.
You can see the tuner module(xm antena cables) if you put your steering wheel all the way up and look straight back on the left side. It is on the firewall. Yellow cables with a pink dot in center were SiriusXM antenna cables.

Concern: Additional Items for Radio Tuner Upgrade (Included)
Performed radio upgrade for infotainment upgrade. Updated firmware. Function tested Sirius XM radio and radio is now
working as designed.
Correction: Radio Upgrade, Model S LHD
Mine is also late 2016 model S with premium sound. Did you already have MCU2 installed prior, or did you get both done at the same time? Just wondering if they have to disassemble my dash again just for the radio upgrade because I already had MCU2 done before.

just wondering if they have to disassemble my dash again just for the radio upgrade because I already had MCU2 done before.

Had Tuner put in last week. Did the MCU2 a few months ago. It was a lot of work for them since it's behind dash on driver side. Not sure how much dash they need to take out.
My car lost Siriusxm after MCU2 so wanted that back. There is a couple different tuners they can order so make sure before you drive off after service you check what's supposed to be working is working.

I wanted my SiriusXM back in addition to FM so this was the part I needed.
MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA PREMIUM Part #: 7281911-01-A

There is a part with only FM so make sure you test when you pick up your car that SiriusXM is working(if that is what you want).

They put that part in my car that did not have SirusXm so I have a tuner that is not functional since I do not have an antenna!
Did they at least remove the XM button from the screen, or is XM there but you just get no signal?
Seems odd that Tesla can’t just look up what came with your car originally via the VIN and then order the correct part.

I guess I better make sure they put in the correct part above in my car since it did originally have XM and was the Premium sound package.