Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone doing Monthly True-up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
We belong to a EastBay Community Energy. We are currently on the Monthly true-up option. I just received a message saying they were going to have a Monthly True-up as a default, and Yearly (in April) as an option. The descriptions are below. Does anyone have any thoughts on which true up period is better?

• Monthly true-up: If you generate more electricity than you use in a given
    billing month, the excess generation credit accrues in your account. You pay
    for consumption on a monthly basis if you do not have enough NEM credits in
    your account balance to cover monthly charges. Monthly true-up customers
    receive annual payment for surplus generation at the April cash-out.
  • Annual true-up: You will not be billed monthly for generation service. Credits
    and debits for consumption and net generation roll over until the annual true-up
    in April. Annual true-up customers will receive either a bill if usage exceeds generation or a payment for surplus generation at the April true-up. The majority of EBCE's NEM customers consume more electricity than they generate annually.

I don't see any benefit to monthly true-ups. Course, I don't believe in escrow accounts neither for property tax.

1 annual bill or 2-12? I'd go for 1 for sure. Less hassle as well having to pay bills.
I will pay a monthly bill either way since I have to pay PG&E for my Nat Gas usage.

FWIW, I also don't escrow for property taxes. Thanks to prop 13 the taxes are pretty darn low anyway.

I will pay a monthly bill either way since I have to pay PG&E for my Nat Gas usage.

FWIW, I also don't escrow for property taxes. Thanks to prop 13 the taxes are pretty darn low anyway.
I am doing annual true up with monthly gas and that $10+ minimum charge. Not an issue for me so far as I see an kWh one for one on NET metering.
This way I know that usage is canceled by overproduction and don't get involved with their funny price calculations.
Will see what happens after my 20th year of NEM1.

In both cases everything gets paid out/charged in April. The difference is that the Annual system will let you run a balance on energy charges April to April, while the Monthly system will only let you run a net credit if you have one, and will otherwise charge you Monthly. At least as I understand it.

So say your generation/usage pattern is such that in April you start accruing net credits as the days lengthen, while in maybe September you start using up those credits as the days shorten. Then the only difference you would see is whether you start paying monthly charges in the Fall/Winter after all your credits are used up, or make one larger payment in April.

Cheers, Wayne