Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone done Ogallala NE to Lusk WY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Half Dollar Bill

Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper
Oct 19, 2013
Freeport Maine
Just doing some pre-planning for the Sound of Silence rally.
I know the Nebraska route is currently in-process.
I expect it'll be done before May, though, and I was looking to use it on the way out but am looking at my stop-overs.
I was wondering if anyone has made Ogallala to Lusk in one leg? EVTP says it's 220RM which is more than possible in my S85. I did Lusk to Sheridan two years ago as a leg so I'm not afraid of adventure; just want to be reasonable.
Advice from travelers familiar with those parts is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I haven't heard of anyone bridging that gap yet. If you don't mind continuing on I-80 instead of Highway 26, the 2017 map shows they'll be putting one on I-80 west of Ogallala. I'm guessing it would be in Sidney but Kimball might be a possibility as well. It looks like Wheatland could be getting one as well. It wouldn't be as direct but would have more Supercharger coverage than Highway 26.

If you do stay on Highway 26, it looks like it would be possible at a reduced speed. There's not much charging listed along Highway 26 but there is a 14-50 listed in Scottsbluff.

I think you'd be alright if you get a full charge, drive the speed limit and there's no snow on the road. And obviously you need to take US 26 which is the shortest most direct route. The speed limits on that road aren't going to be too high which actually helps you. And don't make a wrong turn! :)

Oh and I guess the Gillette supercharger wasn't there back then, but if you do the Lusk to Sheridan trip again, I think it's definitely worth it to take the slightly slower route through Gillette so you can top up there rather than be slowed down by a range charge and slow driving (not to mention skimping on climate control).

I will say that doing a 251 mile trip in an 85 is pretty impressive. My record is 256 but I have a 90. That was Lincoln City, OR to Crescent City, CA back before Bandon was open. It was 60F and overcast so I turned off climate control completely and drove the 55mph speed limit. No elevation there to worry about. I made it with ease. Could have gone over 300 miles if I needed to, but I went ahead and turned on the climate control and started driving faster for the last half of the trip. As far as I can tell those were basically optimal conditions for range.

I will say that doing a 251 mile trip in an 85 is pretty impressive.

Actually, 255 miles, but who's keeping track? ;)
Lusk to Sheridan.jpg

Yea, it was pre-Gillette and my back-up plan was to use a destination charger in Gillette if the going got rough but the range gods were with us. This was in July so I didn't have to worry about snow but there was some light rain and wind.

@MorrisonHiker - Besides the rally I'll be adding to my supercharger count so if they add another station in far west Nebraska I'll probably choose to stop there too. I did notice that there's not many back-up charging options along Highway 26.