Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone downgrade from 85 to 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering downgrading to the 70D. I currently have 33K on my 15 month old S85. I paid about $99K for my S85 total. Minus the $7500 and $2500 tax rebate. Brings my total to $89K. Gas savings compared to driving my Jeep was about 9K. Total cost is now $80K. Car trade in value is $60K. I can get a new 70D for $80K with same options plus AWD. I would be able to get another $10K tax rebate. Net cost $70K plus tax. So for approximately $10K, I get the new car smell and reset the odometer to zero. I would also get the auto pilot hardware but hold off on the option until it is actually available and working. Makes no sense to finance options you can not use.

I do not think I will notice any performance difference other than having AWD for my snowboarding trips. The 30 mile range should not be an issue now that there are more superchargers. I haven't really used the superchargers too much because there are only a couple in florida. I wish I could get a refund for the $2500 I pre-paid for them. I only had a few close calls running below 30 electrons.

Anyways, please let me know if anyone has downgraded and if it makes sense.

Thanks!

I'd sure recommend a S70 (D optional) in a warm weather climate now over the S85, but would I trade my S85 in? No, probably not. Still quite a capital loss on the S85 to sell now. I'd be happy to drive mine for quite some time and wait for the next gen S.

I changed my order from 85D to 70D. I'm quite happy with mine. Albeit, I've owned it for only one month now :), but compared to S85, the range difference is so little, it hardly matters. And yes the new cars are far better built than the older ones, that alone is a good enough reason to reset your odo to zero. You might even wait 6 months for an inventory D to reduce that 10K difference.

The 30 mile range should not be an issue now that there are more superchargers. I haven't really used the superchargers too much because there are only a couple in florida. I wish I could get a refund for the $2500 I pre-paid for them. I only had a few close calls running below 30 electrons.

I believe there are currently 12 or so Supercharger stations in Florida, which to me is a lot more than "only a couple".
Only California has more (32 and counting), so with the wealth of Superchargers in your own back yard, simply drive, go and use them.
Maybe even drive to Georgia, or South Carolina or further North should you want to use some of those.

As you said, you have pre-paid for access to Supercharger Network.
Simply go and use them, because they ARE there for your convenience.

I believe there are currently 12 or so Supercharger stations in Florida, which to me is a lot more than "only a couple".
Only California has more (32 and counting), so with the wealth of Superchargers in your own back yard, simply drive, go and use them.
Maybe even drive to Georgia, or South Carolina or further North should you want to use some of those.

As you said, you have pre-paid for access to Supercharger Network.
Simply go and use them, because they ARE there for your convenience.

In south Florida, there is only one supercharger active in West Palm Beach. That is a service center that recently added them. My only other options have been service centers with HPWC. I do a lot of local driving and have has a few close calls. I have had to sit at a service center for an hour or so to recharge to make it home. I do use the superchargers when I travel to NC and TN during the winter to go snowboarding but even last year I had to use a lot of public EV outlets and trailer park 14-50 outlets. Over the last 15 months, they have rolled out a lot more so it is becoming more convenient. I don't mind paying for what I use. Like many other south florida drivers we still do not have many options to get a quick fix of electrons.

That brings up another point, if I do trade in for a 70D I will have to pay another $2500 for supercharger use. Tesla knows this has been a issue and made supercharger standard equipment because people have been opting out. If it was an ICE I wouldn't leave $5K of pre-paid gas unused. The supercharging network needs to change its way of making money from Tesla owners as well for other EVs. Once they program the software to allow charging other EV's we should be able to it pay that way as well. I paid $2500 for supercharging and only used $150 at most.

Why are you considering changing? Does your current car not have the autopilot hardware or is it mainly the addition of AWD?

AWD is a big factor, but I also drive a lot. Having 33K now I will be close to 45K by the end of this year. I would be out of warranty and I could use another 10K rebate this year. Having autopilot is nice feature but it is still not usable.

You take such a big hit selling a car with mileage like that. Might be worth to continue to drive it until you run across a major expensive repair and then see what is out there at the time. AWD would be nice though. Good luck.

In south Florida, there is only one supercharger active in West Palm Beach. That is a service center that recently added them. My only other options have been service centers with HPWC. I do a lot of local driving and have has a few close calls. I have had to sit at a service center for an hour or so to recharge to make it home. I do use the superchargers when I travel to NC and TN during the winter to go snowboarding but even last year I had to use a lot of public EV outlets and trailer park 14-50 outlets. Over the last 15 months, they have rolled out a lot more so it is becoming more convenient. I don't mind paying for what I use. Like many other south florida drivers we still do not have many options to get a quick fix of electrons.

That brings up another point, if I do trade in for a 70D I will have to pay another $2500 for supercharger use. Tesla knows this has been a issue and made supercharger standard equipment because people have been opting out. If it was an ICE I wouldn't leave $5K of pre-paid gas unused. The supercharging network needs to change its way of making money from Tesla owners as well for other EVs. Once they program the software to allow charging other EV's we should be able to it pay that way as well. I paid $2500 for supercharging and only used $150 at most.

I guess I am even more confused by your overall statements above.
My understanding is Superchargers are intended to be used for long distance travel, not daily use.
If you are driving more than 220 miles a day locally, I guess you might have a close call or two, but certainly those would be rare days.
In that case, dual chargers and a HPWC @ your home should address and resolve that issue.

For me, the closest Supercharger to DFW is over 50 miles away in Corsicana, and I use it a lot when I travel to East Texas and to Houston.
But I don't ever drive over 220+ miles locally in a single day.

The cost of Superchargers is built into the cost of the car: it is how they are funded for construction and use of electricity.
ALL Model S now manufactured and sold as new (perhaps not all S60 CPO) have access to the Supercharger Network.
And THAT money is being used to fund the expansion of new and additional Supercharger Stations.

So, I heartily encourage you to get your new 70D and do your bit toward funding the next Superchargers.:wink:

Also, you would then be able to apply for the $7,500 Federal income tax refund and any other tax incentive the State of Florida might offer.

I haven't really used the superchargers too much because there are only a couple in florida.

Sir, the midwest would like to have a chat with you.

muTFM8r.png

I guess I am even more confused by your overall statements above.
My understanding is Superchargers are intended to be used for long distance travel, not daily use.
If you are driving more than 220 miles a day locally, I guess you might have a close call or two, but certainly those would be rare days.
In that case, dual chargers and a HPWC @ your home should address and resolve that issue.

For me, the closest Supercharger to DFW is over 50 miles away in Corsicana, and I use it a lot when I travel to East Texas and to Houston.
But I don't ever drive over 220+ miles locally in a single day.

The cost of Superchargers is built into the cost of the car: it is how they are funded for construction and use of electricity.
ALL Model S now manufactured and sold as new (perhaps not all S60 CPO) have access to the Supercharger Network.
And THAT money is being used to fund the expansion of new and additional Supercharger Stations.

So, I heartily encourage you to get your new 70D and do your bit toward funding the next Superchargers.:wink:

Also, you would then be able to apply for the $7,500 Federal income tax refund and any other tax incentive the State of Florida might offer.

Sorry, not trying to be confusing but we are talking about the past, the present and the future. In the past, there was no supercharger in west palm. Whenever I had to travel north of west palm, I would barely make the round trip with a 260 mile range. Now that there is a supercharger in west palm, I can get the extra miles I need to make that round trip. If I do buy the 70D I will loose an additional 30 miles so I would have to stop at the supercharger to make that trip. I would much rather spend 10-15 minutes at a supercharger than 2 hours at my service center even though they are super nice there.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Free supercharging for life is included with all new Model S cars

Sorry, not trying to be confusing but we are talking about the past, the present and the future. In the past, there was no supercharger in west palm. Whenever I had to travel north of west palm, I would barely make the round trip with a 260 mile range. Now that there is a supercharger in west palm, I can get the extra miles I need to make that round trip. If I do buy the 70D I will loose an additional 30 miles so I would have to stop at the supercharger to make that trip. I would much rather spend 10-15 minutes at a supercharger than 2 hours at my service center even though they are super nice there.:biggrin:

Okay, I tend to live in the present, and fondly remember the past.
We will never see the entire future.
Unless somebody disables the West Palm supercharger your daily driving (range) issues are resolved.

There are currently over 205 Supercharger Stations in US, another 15 + in Canada.
Do not order the 70D, it may cut too close for your current daily needs.
Order your new Supercharged (S85 or S85D) enabled car with the most possible range (+6% for another $5K) to be a S90 or 90D, and just enjoy driving it.
Problem solved.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just hang onto your car then? It's less than a year old most likely. In a few years you might revisit things and get a bigger pack at a similar price to your current car.

You may want to consider trading in before the Model X reveal. The amount of used S85's on the market is likely to increase dramatically at that time.

For me, I needed the absolute most range I could buy, as we road trip in Ontario all winter for our kids sports, and there are too few superchargers on the routes we take, so we need round trip range of 300 km in -20C, for those times we are too close, there are Sun Country Highway 40A+ J1772 charging options scattered far enough.

I personally don't consider the 60 or 70 an option in Ontario if you only have EV's (my other car is a Smart ED).