TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone drive 93/95 in New England on Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RyanDe, Aug 24, 2016.

1. RyanDe

RyanDe New Member

How are the highways in the north east?

2. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I regularly drive i95 from NY to RI. The lane markings on my route are mostly good - one spot around exit 15 in NY with poor markings due to past construction. Still, AP handles it fine. Construction finishing around New Haven where I would take over. But otherwise, no issues there. More issues with traffic and abrupt stops so pay attention if using AP. (as always. ;) )

3. robby

robby Member

Yes, every day. I drive 40 miles commuting on I-93 to work. Autopilot is amazing -- very consistent and an absolute dream when sitting in traffic.

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Some of the lane markings on 495 around Lawrence are pretty bad. Also be very careful where there's ongoing or recent construction that has messed up the lane markers.

5. RyanDe

RyanDe New Member

Are you driving south into Boston or north?

6. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

I drove NYC-Maryland via 95, AP worked over 90% of the time even at 80mph. I believe I only took over to pass up slow drivers in the left lane.

• Like x 1
  7. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I'm not Robby, but I have also driven from RI to NH and VT - zero issues. What specifically were you worried about?

8. RyanDe

RyanDe New Member

No worried, I commute south into Boston and everyday I can feel my life drain away in stop and go traffic. There are some places on 93 south that the white lines are pretty worn so I was curious if people have issues with these or not. I would love to travel exit to exit on AP down 93.

9. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

You might consider posting this in the New England sub-forum - lots of locals there who probably know that route better than I do. There is also a Tesla Owners New England page on FB. Though I have driven it with AP and don't recall anything odd.

10. robby

robby Member

I drive south into Cambridge from Andover.

For me autopilot is a very real quality of life improvement. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and my favorite topics, particularly in the hard sciences and even certain kinds of history, are very difficult for me to comprehend in city or stop-and-go traffic because they require a lot of mental attention to follow. Autopilot makes those works intelligible for me while driving. It's like getting back 60 productive minutes every day. I do switch to music when I get off the highway unless it's lighter "reading."

11. Joe

Joe Member

Live in CT - use autopilot every time I get on I95. Never had any issues.
    Now the Merritt is a different story altogether :)

12. David29

David29 Member

I use AP regularly on I-95 around Boston and find it works 95%+ of the time where I drive. I have also used it on I-95 north to Portland, ME and as far south as Mystic, CT, and had no significant problems. I-90 and I-84 also mostly very good.
    As for I-93, I have used it driving through Boston a few times, and agree that the lane markings are inadequate in some areas both north of the city and south. (I have not driven I-932 north of Medford, though.)