Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone drive from Denver to Austin, TX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have done part of that route. I'd go to Trinidad, CO, then to Amarillo, Childress, Cisco and Austin.

The drive from Trinidad to Amarillo was a little slow with the MS75D, but not too bad. Mostly downhill going west to east. Plan to eat a meal in Trinidad while you top up. There is a "Green Grocer" next to the SC there, too, if you're into that.

I have done part of that route. I'd go to Trinidad, CO, then to Amarillo, Childress, Cisco and Austin.

The drive from Trinidad to Amarillo was a little slow with the MS75D, but not too bad. Mostly downhill going west to east. Plan to eat a meal in Trinidad while you top up. There is a "Green Grocer" next to the SC there, too, if you're into that.
------
i see that trinidad to amarillo is 236 miles. i think i'm full at 250. that's tight and i have 22's. how many miles did u have left when u arrived at charging station? did u stop anywhere to grab 20 miles at a level 2?

------
i see that trinidad to amarillo is 236 miles. i think i'm full at 250. that's tight and i have 22's. how many miles did u have left when u arrived at charging station? did u stop anywhere to grab 20 miles at a level 2?
I kept my speed at about 60 during the first part of the trip that was uphill, then sped up as the distance became more comfortable.

Your car can go much farther than the rated miles if you reduce speed. The trick is in planning a route that is fastest to travel, which is not necessarily the one where you can drive the fastest.

My records show I went 226 miles from Trinidad SC to Amarillo SC and averaged 247 Wh/mile. Sorry, I don't have the times accurately recorded so I don't know an average speed. Everything I had indicated I could make it, so I just started out conservatively and watched the energy graph and when it went above 10% estimated arrival SOC I sped up an mph on the TACC setting. If it dropped below, I slowed down an MPH. The only uncomfortable part was at the beginning, going so slow on the Interstate. Once on the road to Amarillo, there was little traffic and 2 lanes each direction, so no problems going under the limit.

Reactions: Missile Toad

I’ve always taken Childress to aspermont then to the sweetwater supercharger then over to Cisco. For some reason, my p90d seems to consume more energy than predicted from Childress. The speed limit on rt 83 is mostly 75 mph. I arrive in sweetwater with about 45 miles remaing, from about 255 miles starting. I don’t like to end with less than 40 miles rated range.

I did Denver, Trinidad, Amarillo, Childress, Denton during the summer. I have an 85 RWD with 19's. My records show I started in Trinidad with 257 rated miles and arrived at Amarillo with 12 rated miles. My actual miles driven was 245 with average speed of 63.36 mph, 3:52 driving time. BerTX said he drove 226 miles on that leg, but I think I stayed on HWY 87 the whole time instead of taking HWY 385 into Amarillo.

Reactions: BerTX