Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone driven from SF bay area to Truckee in X75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
We have an S85 and have driven it to the mountains many times. We're thinking about moving to an X early next year, but I'm debating whether to spring for the 100D or stick with a 75D. Any firsthand experience feedback would be great.

I live in Truckee in Tahoe Donner and my wife and I have a MX 100D and a P3D. You could super baby them and get to Truckee in one shot but the 70 miles from Auburn to Truckee is 6K-7K of climbing and sucks the battery at about 1 actual for 2 rated. I stop in either Rocklin SC or Roseville occasionally (shopping requirement) and you only need to stop for 15-30 minutes max and I usually am driving at 70-75mph. Also if it is very cold I tend to be a bit more conservative on the top up. On the way back to the Bay Area you can make it in one shot. If that is a regular run for you the 75D may feel a little light on capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Zorg
4 year old P85+ here with probably similar range to your 75, On the way up Rocklin can be a good stop at the Service Center. But Roseville has the mall right there. Cheesecake Factory, etc. Also the North Sacramento SuC has a lot of good eating options. Always top off before going up the hill. As @Cycle11111 says, you can have a clear shot home if you top off in Truckee. I have made it back to San Rafael with 100 miles left in the battery.