Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone dumping their Model X for a Jaguar I-Pace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Apparently this fool at Seeking Alpha thinks you well.

He's shorting TSLA. I wonder if hes going long on TTM...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/403...ple?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-widget

NOPE

upload_2017-1-18_9-51-43.png

NOPE NOPE NOPE - but feel free to be honest if this excites you!

Maybe someday that can be competitive. Today and near future, there's nowhere to rapidly charge that Jaguar, limiting it to around-town driving only. One does not need 90kwh battery for around town driving. That range is for road trips.

Also, 14" shorter sounds too small for six seats.

Maybe someday that can be competitive. Today and near future, there's nowhere to rapidly charge that Jaguar, limiting it to around-town driving only. One does not need 90kwh battery for around town driving. That range is for road trips.

Yes its stuck to five seats. Don't think the article writer has even been inside a Model X. 6, even 7 seats makes the MX a very compelling offering that competes with other SUVS and even Minivans.

Reactions: mal_tsla
I predict that Jaguar Land Rover wants to take advantage of the soft euro and increasing US SUV sales by producing a CARB ZEV premium vehicle for credits to improve their market share in the premium SUV market by keeping MSRP low on their ICE models. I predict the MSRP for the iPace will be $90k base to keep demand higher than production, and they will make ~2,000 the first year.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
One of the reasons I always liked SUV is a higher seating arrangment - I dont like seating on the floor (just my personal preference). Based on pictures from the article, the seating arrangement of I-Pace is more of a sedan - very low. Doesn't look like an SUV at all, cross-over maaaybeeee.

... it won't be available in sufficient numbers to make a difference. I think I read 20k/year somewhere...

and there lies the rub.
The world is not making enough batteries for all the potential competitors to Tesla, so products inevitably have to be niche market for at least a few years, finite supply would also predict elevated prices therefore lower margins for the competitors too.
Not for the first time Tesla's thinking is just in a different order of magnitude.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The choice in EVs is so limited at the moment, I'm not sure any normal car class or cross-shopping rules apply. I mean, we have people going from Prius to a Model X.

It will take much more choice to become available before people gravitate towards the cars in similar manner as they do with ICEs. Before that I expect things to be a bit more random... Also, Jaguar does have an edge in interior quality and features.

So, yes, despite the difference in sizes - and even in long-range charging options (not everyone has the same needs or even Supercharger networks) - I can see people cross-shopping the I-Pace and the Model X. And Bolt. And Model S. And even an i3.

It's still the crazy years.

(Once I-Pace is available for sale, of course, not just talk.)

Smaller size can actually be a plus too. Model S/X are large cars and not everyone in every location appreciates that. The cross-over class is popular for a reason.

Reactions: Ormond
We are very seriously thinking about getting one of these in due course (admittedly as an i3 replacement, not to replace my Model S). My wife loves Jaguar interiors and she cares not for our Tesla's automation nor its interior.

Also, Tesla seem to have lost their way in the last year, pretty much since they pushed the Model X out the door well before it was ready.

Jaguar sold 31k vehicles in the US last year, among their entire lineup. It should be noted that that's twice as many vehicles as they sold in 2015, but unless the trend continues (unlikely) it's pretty preposterous to say that they'll make a dent in Tesla sales. Moreso if the major selling point is the nicer interior...and seems to ignore Tesla's recent hire from Volvo.

Of course, this is SeekingAlpha, so it's simply more of the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
Might be a competitor to the Model Y, and maybe even arrive a year or two before it. Good for Jaguar and consumers, I say. But Model X? Doubtful. After all, the market supports both the Q5 and the Q7. The X3 and the X5. Etc. Etc. All at the same time. 2 rows vs. 3 rows. Different horses for courses.

Also, it's clear Tesla's Supercharger network is a real advantage. I have a hard time believing any traditional automotive manufacturer will be willing to invest in their own network, basically funding the demise of their bread-and-butter ICE captial investments. And the future of government funded chargers in the US through DoE grants and the like is looking grim for the next 4 years. So I believe Tesla will remain the only game in town with a real cross-country network.