Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone dumping their Model X for a Jaguar I-Pace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be a competitor to the Model Y, and maybe even arrive a year or two before it. Good for Jaguar and consumers, I say. But Model X? Doubtful. After all, the market supports both the Q5 and the Q7. The X3 and the X5. Etc. Etc. All at the same time. 2 rows vs. 3 rows. Different horses for courses.

The problem here is, there is no Q2, Q3 or Q5, electric SUV. So the people currenly buying Model X have exactly the choice of one electric SUV. In one size. The assumption that all of these people would have gone for the Model X equivalent Q7 ICE SUV is probably wrong. The comparison to the ICE market does not work. Many of them would probably have gone for a smaller car, were it available.

We know people from Prius and other far smaller and less expensive cars have bought into Model S and Model X, simply because there is such a limited selection of EVs currently available (small low-range cars or large higher-range cars). So the optics get distorted a lot for lack of choice.

There are no different horses for this course yet.

Also, it's clear Tesla's Supercharger network is a real advantage. I have a hard time believing any traditional automotive manufacturer will be willing to invest in their own network, basically funding the demise of their bread-and-butter ICE captial investments. And the future of government funded chargers in the US through DoE grants and the like is looking grim for the next 4 years. So I believe Tesla will remain the only game in town with a real cross-country network.

Tesla will be the only game in town with real cross-country network for some time, of course. CCS will get there eventually (in the U.S. the Volkswagen restitutions will help a bit), but when I-Pace comes this will be a limitation at least initially, I agree. I'm just not sure it matters all that much. Not all people buy cars for cross-country trips. Especially if it is the second car in the family, where an I-Pace might work great.

There are several people on this forum with a Model S and Model X in the family. Unless seven seats are needed, I could easily see the Model X being replaced by an I-Pace in such a scenario.

p.s. I am not saying this to support the notion that I-Pace is some actual threat to Tesla. Just discussing the customer perspective. I could well see myself considering an I-Pace instead of a Model X. And perhaps even more importantly, I might consider an I-Pace as a second car rather than a Model 3.

I am willing to consider any electric SUV as a replacement for my Model X, but only if it represents a tangible upgrade over what I have now. I visited the Detroit auto show this week and saw nothing that interested me in the slightest. Jaguar wasn't there so I couldn't evaluate the I-Pace, but I can't see jumping on it just because it's the next car to market. With Audi, Mercedes and others coming out with their own versions in the next couple years I would want to compare everything available. Hopefully by then the Model Y is also nearing release, as I still consider that the leading contender.

We are very seriously thinking about getting one of these in due course (admittedly as an i3 replacement, not to replace my Model S). My wife loves Jaguar interiors and she cares not for our Tesla's automation nor its interior.

Also, Tesla seem to have lost their way in the last year, pretty much since they pushed the Model X out the door well before it was ready.
You might want to consider that the X75D with its 75kWh battery which has a slightly greater EPA range than a Jaguar i-Pace with a 90kWh battery. The Jag simply is not as efficient as the X. And if you want more range you can get the X100D but you the Jag only comes with one battery size. See Jaguar I-Pace is coming for Tesla—with a battery that doesn’t make sense

And of course the X offers a better drivetrain warranty, a better user interface, better self-driving features, higher safety rating, etc.

Last edited:
Yep, I Pace gets only 238 miles out of 90kWh battery. Where's the rest of that juice going? In cold weather Ipace could easily be sub 180 mile range.

Until now, plenty of headlines were favorably comparing the IPace to Tesla based on comparing EU ratings to EPA ratings. Dishonesty or incompetence?

I see the exact same thing happening with Audi ETron. "310 miles" means EU testing, probably means 245 EPA and barely 200 on a cold day. Without supercharging access, these EVs are town cars. :(

Lol, right now and next couple years I would never trade my X for another electric vehicle no matter who the manufacturer is. When we decide to replace the ice we still have it will be with a Tesla. They are way ahead, not just the batteries and motors but also charging network. You can't even compare. I can live with Tesla shortcomings as far as build quality. Doesn't bother me. It's worth it.

I bet the Model Y will hit 100k vehicles on US roads before any of the I-Pace, EQwhatever and E-tron. Maybe even combined. I already have a deposit ready for the Y. Will be my next Tesla. Sight unseen. I put my deposit on the 3 and was converted after I drove an S. All I see is more and more Tesla’s on the road and I smile because more and more people get to experience a new level of driving. Keep Changing the world Elon, we got your back.

I'm sorry but once the I-pace owners realise there is no charging network they will be running back to Jaguar and wanting their money back. From what I have heard the build quality and driving dynamics are better than the S.

The guy is full of BS, page 1 was enough of it for me, lol. The iPace is quite a nice car, but not a direct competitor for those who want the size and utility of a Model X. It's a LOT smaller inside and the UI is a mess. Oh and the honeymoon is coming to an end now people in the UK are actually facing the reality of slow and unreliable public charging! There have even been a few reports of people test driving the iPace, reading about the charging issues and poor efficiency and then ordering a Tesla instead. I haven't heard of a single case of someone chopping in their Model X for an iPace yet, only the odd Model S owner looking for a change and at least one of those decided to keep his S for longer trips!

I won't be joining his investment group for sure!

Reactions: Bogobec