Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone dumping their Model X for a Jaguar I-Pace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I have heard the build quality and driving dynamics are better than the S.

Actually I've read mixed reports in the UK press about iPace vs MS driving dynamics. One popular mag put the iPace slightly ahead and another favoured the S. There obviously isn't that much in it. Build quality is likely to be better, but that's not much of a surprise to anyone! Having sat in the iPace, I thought the interior was too fussy and a bit cramped for a large family car.

I think people are making the comparisons between model s + x and ipace based on price point but don't understand the size of the vehicle is smaller. JLR marketing dept is amazing and no doubt people have had the wool pull over their eyes about charging infrastructure whilst being hosted for a complimentary race track drive and 3 course meal after lol

I think people are making the comparisons between model s + x and ipace based on price point but don't understand the size of the vehicle is smaller. JLR marketing dept is amazing and no doubt people have had the wool pull over their eyes about charging infrastructure whilst being hosted for a complimentary race track drive and 3 course meal after lol

What I'm seeing on the UK iPace Facebook page are a lot of posts complaining about the lack of EV knowledge from JLR salespeople and also in some cases a lack of interest in even selling them! It's actually putting people off buying the car right now. Most people who actually test drive the iPace seem to be impressed with the performance and quality etc. It's obviously quite a desirable car.

quite a desirable car
until the owners realise they made a boo boo! The only situation iPace works is if you are home charging all the time and no doing any major trips. Also once full self driving is out Tesla will officially wipe the floor with the "competition". Even with all the patents available for anyone to access they still beat the brand bit embarrassing

The only situation iPace works is if you are home charging all the time and no doing any major trips.

That's what early iPace adopters are saying too or being overly optimistic about the roll-out of high speed public chargers! Even if you only do a handful of longer trips every year it's going to be a pita. Quite a few people seem to be considering them only as a second car, which is probably a sensible approach. Personally I'm waiting for the M3 as our replacement second car. The MX is a keeper!

The M3 will do what the ipace can for half the price. JLR will be stuffed and only their most loyal fan boys will buy it.

The only thing the iPace has going for it over the M3 is that it's a crossover/SUV type thing with genuine off-road capability. Whether or not people will use that ability is highly debatable, but it's certainly a trendy market in Europe. The Model Y will be a huge seller over here, but so will the M3 replacing all those BMW 3 series and Merc C class etc!

What I'm seeing on the UK iPace Facebook page are a lot of posts complaining about the lack of EV knowledge from JLR salespeople and also in some cases a lack of interest in even selling them! It's actually putting people off buying the car right now. Most people who actually test drive the iPace seem to be impressed with the performance and quality etc. It's obviously quite a desirable car.
It is indeed a likeable car to drive - markedly sporty and surprisingly nimble. It felt very well matched to our surroundings with lots of winding roads, but may be on the wide side to get into urban parkings. I drove it around Zurich for a couple of hours. The biggest problem was keeping within local speed limits. Luckily the speed was at least clearly projected on its HUD by default. Sales staff have logically limited personal "electrical" experience. Their interest in sales seemed indeed a bit lukewarm, but I felt it was just because the cars are not likely to become readily available in the near term. I was told (in September) that it takes currently at least 9 months from order to delivery and according to them demand is rising more quickly than probable or hoped for deliveries. As an aside: I did not notice that the interior quality was any different than in a recent model S in our family. It is just another design. I liked the drivers position, my wife disliked the seats.

The lesser drive-train efficiency than the Teslas muster is discussed a lot in German fora and seems to plague the German pre-production models similarly. Teslas technological performance in that area remains unmatched. It will take some time until those differences will be more broadly understood and are likely to remain a headache also for the German competitors. I have the impression that they simply hope to be able to wipe that disadvantage with better batteries in the not too distant future as indicated by VW with their "solid state cell" plans.

The M3 will do what the ipace can for half the price. JLR will be stuffed and only their most loyal fan boys will buy it.

Don't underestimate the number of people who just don't like Tesla as a brand for what ever reason.

I suspect most iPace owners will be new to EVs, which is a great thing. There is a reason why we have so many different combustion car brands, not everyone wants the same thing.

Personally I think its nuts to spend the kind of money Jag wants for the iPace when the Perfomance Model 3 costs the same, has much more range/performance and similar size.....

But the iPace has one thing no Tesla will have ever have, a badge with tradition/history behind it. Like it or not people look at the badge of a car first and foremost, just like all other things in life, the brand is often more important than the product. Take the badge off the iPace I doubt many would be able to tell any difference in so called interior 'quality', but 99% of reviewers will have already decided on interior quality even before they have opened the door.

I had an extended test drive with the iPace a couple of weeks ago.

First impressions:
  • The car is not very large. A decent degree smaller than a MX.
  • For front passengers, I think it's a bit cramped. A LOT of space is taken up by the center console that extends from the dash.
  • I liked the HUD. That was very useful. I wish Tesla would add a HUD. Would be especially beneficial in the M3.
  • The frunk was amusingly small. I honestly think they shouldn't have even bothered with it, if that was the largest size they could create.
  • Center stack touchscreen and controls are VERY laggy and delayed. Worse than an original MS. It was really sad to watch the Jag rep try to demonstrate screens and features... Swipe. Nothing. Swipe again. Wait. Screen finally responds. etc.
  • Cockpit is way too busy. Too much stuff going on.
  • Steering wheel buttons were overwhelming (too many buttons), and felt cheap.
  • Extending door handles aren't as elegant, and are somewhat thick/chunky. Hard to explain.
Driving impressions:

• I was allowed to really 'drive it like I stole it'. Encouraged in fact. Jaguar was very interested in my impressions.
  • I REALLY hated the fake engine sounds that are piped through the car's speakers. The Jag rep didn't know how to turn them off.
  • Acceleration was spot on. Instant and very 'Tesla like'.
  • In the twisties, the Jag handled like a pro. Very confident and dynamic. Even on pothole riddled roads, the grip was top notch.
  • The Jag felt a bit more 'top heavy' than my MS, but that's to be expected.
  • 1 petal driving was very well implemented. No complaints there. Regen was also very strong.

Overall, I think the iPace is a VERY good 1st attempt by a major automaker at making a luxury electric SUV. I don't think it's in the same league as Tesla overall, but it's easily the 2nd best electric vehicle option currently on the market.

If I had never heard of Tesla before, I would have been blown away by the iPace. So I suspect a lot of consumers may similarly be very impressed and that will translate into sales.

The lesser drive-train efficiency than the Teslas muster is discussed a lot in German fora and seems to plague the German pre-production models similarly. Teslas technological performance in that area remains unmatched. It will take some time until those differences will be more broadly understood and are likely to remain a headache also for the German competitors. I have the impression that they simply hope to be able to wipe that disadvantage with better batteries in the not too distant future as indicated by VW with their "solid state cell" plans.
Indeed. I-Pace is a Model Y competitor, but the Model Y will be WAY more efficient. So really, not a Model Y competitor... :D

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
But the iPace has one thing no Tesla will have ever have, a badge with tradition/history behind it.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't be too sure about that as far as EVs are concerned. Tesla is THE original brand when it comes to performance EVs. You only have to look at how often the word Tesla pops up in any new EV review!

But I agree, plenty of old farts around who think the Jaguar brand still means something special. Even more who think the German brands are unbeatable.

Jaguar brand still means something special.
As someone who has owned two Jaguars, it means something very special: My last one was an 1986 XJ6. A beautiful car... and the most extraordinary experience I have ever had in my life. I drove it cross county from LA to NYC, and it was amazing. Never in my life have I spent so many overnights in small towns hunting down mechanics and Jag parts. By the time I made it to NYC, I was ten days late, and the car was patched together, AC dead, only one fuel tank working, valves flapping, one window half open and stuck, issues with the transmission, and I was totally broke. I ended up with depression. Never again.

perhaps the E type has some sort of nostalgia but the rest are meh

The only Jaguar worth owning... the original :cool: Jaguar confirms production of all-electric version of the E-type with I-Pace technology

“An electric powertrain developing 220kW has been specially designed for the E-type Zero. Its lithium-ion battery pack has the same dimensions, and similar weight, to the XK six-cylinder engine used in the original E-type. The experts responsible for developing the electric powertrain have ensured it will be placed in precisely the same location as the XK engine. The electric motor (and reduction gear) lies just behind the battery pack, in the same location as the E-type’s gearbox. A new propshaft sends power to a carry-over differential and final drive. Total weight is 46kg lower than the original E-type.”

J_Classic_E-type_Zero_Production_240818_01-e1535067483946.jpg

If I had never heard of Tesla before, I would have been blown away by the iPace.

That's a fantastic short thesis that would make someone homeless really quickly.

But the iPace has one thing no Tesla will have ever have, a badge with tradition/history behind it.

The next generation doesn't care about any of that stuff. Between the Tesla's and the Volt, my children don't even remember pumping gas into cars.

iPace will fool a lot of people but boy oh boy they are going to be pissed when they find something that cost as much as a Model S can't even go more than city or two over being running into range anxiety.