Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else’s headlight beams look like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new 2022 M3 headlights have seemed wonky as hell since I picked up the car the other week. I brought it in for a service appointment and they said they adjusted them and have it back with them still looking like this. I had a 2021 M3 and noticed no issues with the headlights.

Attachments

• 0A999B88-FF72-4618-A8FC-E190AF5379C1.jpeg
    0A999B88-FF72-4618-A8FC-E190AF5379C1.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 741
  • 9D1AC372-213C-4A4E-B35C-4E911D548D85.jpeg
    9D1AC372-213C-4A4E-B35C-4E911D548D85.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 361
Your projectors are not aligned properly. The low beam slits should be just at the top of the main reflector beams (the bright part at the bottom). Not sure how you fix that with the new lights, but I’d start with the headlight adjustment in the service menu.

So the headlight adjusters will not move the left one down far enough to meet the bright part at the bottom, and neither headlight will adjust either light left or right. There is a bit more vertical adjustement on the right side though.

Funny thing is I tried adjusting them myself the day I got it, realized all this and made a service appointment the day I picked up the car. I told them all this at the appointment and they gave it back to me with nothing changed seemingly.

So to confirm no one else has a headlight beam looking like this? Anyone seen this issue before or have an idea why?

Make another appointment. Perhaps the projectors weren’t installed correctly in the headlight assemblies. The rotation also doesn’t appear correct to me.

What do your high beams look like?

It would be interesting to see a video recording of your light show to see how the TESLA logo is projected. If you have the means, please record it.

My new 2022 M3 headlights have seemed wonky as hell since I picked up the car the other week. I brought it in for a service appointment and they said they adjusted them and have it back with them still looking like this. I had a 2021 M3 and noticed no issues with the headlights.
It's like your lights were setup for someone in the UK.

High beam just exaggerates the same thing. Problem is while driving it blinds oncoming drivers and also has dark spots and gaps due to those top strips of light. The drivers side headlight is definitely at a kilter.

Attachments

• EDD3C5D4-47EA-4696-B696-4646E02465F6.jpeg
    EDD3C5D4-47EA-4696-B696-4646E02465F6.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 313
Maybe the headlight itself isn’t seated properly, making it look tilted a bit.

I would keep hitting the service team up and harp on the fact that it’s dangerous to other drivers. If they still can’t fix it, maybe that will make them consider replacing under warranty, obviously adjustments won’t cut it.

My driver side (left) was a little high, so I lowered it using the service menu. Still doesn’t feel completely right, though, unless my night vision is going (which is a strong possibility). When I asked the SC to do it, the guy said all they do is use a wall in the parking garage and that it would take a week to get to it, so I just went down 2 clicks myself. That SC is a complete joke, btw, so I may try a different one sometime.

High beam just exaggerates the same thing. Problem is while driving it blinds oncoming drivers and also has dark spots and gaps due to those top strips of light. The drivers side headlight is definitely at a kilter.
That simply isn't how the lights are supposed to look at all. You've got an extra row of horizontal light above the main beam. Do those horizontal strips stay when you adjust the headlights up?

Mine are exactly
mine look exactly like that. The left one shines up in the trees. Tried the adjustment but it it doesn’t lower enough. Guess I need to schedule service ☹️

Took mine in for service four weeks ago and evidently, they couldn't align the headlights properly and ordered new ones. Supposed to be here next week, but now I see tons of cars in the M3LR waiting room are coming without the matrix headlights. Not a good sign. Just waiting for the call to come, asking me to reschedule my service appointment. :(