Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else almost die on 2018.6.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This update drives like the previous, pretty good. Problem is that it randomly tries to kill me.
Driving down 2 lane highway it has swerved into oncoming traffic for no reason at all more than once.
It veers out of lanes on long sweeping turns and would have broadsided the car next to me had I not taken over. It sees the lanes, radar showed red on side but still did it.
Then today it took an off ramp I regularly drive by by itself for no reason, changed it's mind and swerved back into the highway but didn't stop at the first lane, it went into yet another lane further and realized it was too far so swerved back into the appropriate lane. Must have looked like an animal let loose in my car to any observers. Wife was scared as hell.

Def have to pay a lot of attention using this version of AP2

This update drives like the previous, pretty good. Problem is that it randomly tries to kill me.
Driving down 2 lane highway it has swerved into oncoming traffic for no reason at all more than once.
It veers out of lanes on long sweeping turns and would have broadsided the car next to me had I not taken over. It sees the lanes, radar showed red on side but still did it.
Then today it took an off ramp I regularly drive by by itself for no reason, changed it's mind and swerved back into the highway but didn't stop at the first lane, it went into yet another lane further and realized it was too far so swerved back into the appropriate lane. Must have looked like an animal let loose in my car to any observers. Wife was scared as hell.

Def have to pay a lot of attention using this version of AP2

Nope, but I don't use anything other than TACC on a two lane road. (Hwy or not)

While the users manual says "Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver" I don't use or trust it unless the hwy has a grass / wall median or a turning lane in between.

Reactions: KrenGrl
Mine loves to take off on exits from main roads. A two lane road that has a separate lane for when you want to turn. You would think if the roads center line continues to run straight then the car should too but not mine. I've actually went across a rail crossing that ran diagonal with the road and my car actually thought it was a road and quickly turned to try to drive down the tracks. I don't trust autopilot at all and that is the reason I almost never use it when my wife or daughter are in the car.

Reactions: cwerdna and Bebop
I also agree that Autopilot is not ready for two lane roads. Too many irregularities to trust to the computer.

The autopilot tries to stay in the middle of the road, but the road goes all over the place, especially at intersections or on/off ramps.

On the freeways though it does pretty well, and takes much of the activity load off the driver. Still keep my hands on the wheel during those times too.

Why would I trust it? Because I've been driving on the same roads for months without issues. It's only this last update. At first I thought it was a glitch, then again so I stopped using it on 2 lane.
But then on large highways I've been doing for nearly a year suddenly it changed behavior and randomly takes and off ramp? No other cars around? I've been to florida and back twice using AP the whole time. This is first it does super random deadly stuff on major highways.

My AP1 started crossing the center line on 2lane roads also and drifts out on the long sweeper. What gets me is the car on the dash is crossing the solid blue line, so that tells me the car knows it's outside the lane but it does nothing to correct it or keep if from happening in the first place.

It also scares me what AP is willing to try. I've had the car lose itself completely, lose all lane markings no car in front to track and it's bobbing and weaving through the lanes worse the bubba after a handle of jack. No warnings or alerts to take over or put hands on the wheel.

I had 2 instances of the car warning me when nothing was wrong.(both times autopilot was not enabled) One of the times it tried to steer me away from an island that was very far away from and was not going to hit and 1 time it threw the about to rear end a car warning when I was alone on the road

Mine loves to take off on exits from main roads. A two lane road that has a separate lane for when you want to turn. You would think if the roads center line continues to run straight then the car should too but not mine. I've actually went across a rail crossing that ran diagonal with the road and my car actually thought it was a road and quickly turned to try to drive down the tracks. I don't trust autopilot at all and that is the reason I almost never use it when my wife or daughter are in the car.

Same here.

It will always start turning into a turning lane at a stop light. I have to take control right away.

Two areas where I have had 6.1 do funky things , rollingnhillls in pa as it crests hills it will jerk into oncoming traffic if it can’t see lanes or the radar is staring at the the sky. Also when the road goes straight up from dip it looks like a wall . This is the same car that is rock solid on highways and flat turns on side roads. Also I once had a really bad situation when the right side air shock was “down” and it lost all of its calibration and autopilot pulled to the right and kept trying to correct by pulling into traffic. Once the shock was stable it went back to full operation and smooth capability. Also weak lane markings give the car fits (but that is getting a lot better with the recent releases.) Check your ride hieght with the road conditions you have and it might get better for side roads. For me most roads in VA are flat enough and well marked to allow me to easily use autopilot 5 miles above the speed limits,anything more would be a bit much