Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else already receive an invitation for their 2nd Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know (and fully appreciate) that fact. As a Tesla stockholder I am very happy about any sales successes the company can report.
BUT: my gripe is that there was no "cut off date" for preferrential treatment of existing owners or rather the lax definition of "existing" owners.
If only owners who had a Tesla when reservations were made possible got preferrential treatment that would have been ok with me. There would have been a time when all existing owners would have gotten their Model 3 and then non-owners would have gotten the cars they reserved. They could have even said "everyone who buys a Tesla until date X, for example Dez 31, 2016, will get preferrential treatment, after that it's first come first served".
As it is, even someone (in the US) who bought a Model S or X yesterday and reserves a Model 3 today will get an invite to configure shortly, while all non owners get pushed back even more, even those who reserved on day one, almost two years ago. That imho is showing a big F***-you finger at those early non-owner reservationists. After all, my projected delivery date got pushed back three times already, the latest happened a short while ago, after it became apparent that loads of new reservations are pouring in from people in the US who just bought an S or X recently or who had already gotten their 3 and are now allowed unlimited new reservations/invites to configure even though it was claimed that it was one per existing owned vehicle. And let's not forget, even though us non-owner early reservationists didn't support Tesla as much as early buyers of S and X vehicles, we too gave Tesla over 400 million dollars of "trust" in advance. Not to simply be dismissed either I would say.

Interesting. Was that the "old" e-Golf or the updated newer one with the larger battery and longer range?
And about the comparison. Well, to be honest, when I compare the UI experience in both vehicles, I very much prefer the e-Golf over the Model 3.
My main reasons for choosing a Model 3 in the first place were:

a) even though I don't actually need it, I would love the immense range
b) again, I won't need it 99% of the time, but the SC network might come in handy one day
c) it's roomier than the e-Golf
d) it looks more sexy
e) it's a Tesla

For everything else I prefer the e-Golf actually:

a) better build quality
b) much better UI
c) easier when it comes to service (dealership in walking distance vs Tesla being 40 miles away)
d) no stupid keycard/phone app needed to open/close the car
Austin Powers, as far as who gets cars first, I believe Tesla is basically doing the best they can and they just can't make everyone happy. Should they start delivering cars to non-owners before owners? I do agree that second Model 3's to owners should have waited for some non-owners to have their's first. In my case we were really happy to get a second Model 3 quickly as we had a POS VW TDI that needed to go back to VW and soon. It had only 70,000 miles but was literally falling apart.

In reference to your questions about the eGolf. It was an earlier eGolf. It was riddled with problems and whenever it went for repair it would sit weeks waiting for parts. Whereas Tesla cars can have some problems this VW was much worse. Top that off, the service from VW was atrocious. Tesla service is superb. I'd rather have Tesla service 100 miles from me than VW around the block. I used to work for VW as a pro mechanic specializing in engine and transmission rebuild. I have worked for many manufacturers and can say, VW is the worse quality I have ever come across. In addition, the VW products seem to be designed to break while at the same time repair costs are outrageous. We had bought a TDI in 2010, even though I was concerned at the time, the nice driving and MPG seduced us. After 60,000 it was broken down time and time again. And I am talking major issues. We had a 2006 Honda Civic in the family which now a friend has. She has 220,000 miles on it with never any problem but maintenance. From the moment VW warranty ran out we had the low pressure fuel pump break which sent metal into the high pressure pump and injectors. This was a $6,000 repair bill. WTF! 2 pumps, 4 injectors and some lines, $6,000! Thats' 25% the price f the whole car when new. Then DPF filter, $4,000. Then a small plastic sensor in the intake manifold. This sensor in only available if you replace the whole manifold at $1500. I have owned and worked on a serious number of vehicles in my life. VW is the worse and they design it to be that way. While the TDI and eGolf are very different cars, they are built by the same VW culture of which I will never trust.

I suggest you watch Netflix Dirty Money documentary about the culture at VW. They will never see my money again.

Finally, with my Model 3, the phone in the pocket/key card works quite well. At first I had a few hiccups but after a few days I got used to it and love not having a fob in my pocket.

Last edited:
Your experience with VW is very different from mine or that of anyone in our family who have had VWs over many decades. When I sold my last TDI Golf it had over 200,000 km on the odometer and not once in ten years of ownership did it have any problems.
I have said it in the past and will say it again: it is my firm belief that VW builds cars destined for the American market differently than for the European market. They even design them differently, to match what many Americans, at least in the past, preferred: large, yet comparatively cheap cars with leather interior and lots of creature comforts, but simple tech. Over here, the approach was and is very different: high build quality, as Germans tend to be very picky about that subject, lots of tech, yet smaller size, generally more expensive, and leather only optional. To name just the most obvious differences.

I am not trying to defend VW any more than necessary, or dismiss your experiences with your Model 3. But from my experience with our Tesla store and the test drives I have had up to now, neither the service level nor the build quality or UI experience came anywhere close to what I was used to from VW (or BMW for that matter).

Again, it might be very different in the US, where traditional car dealerships seem to have a very negative image anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Your experience with VW is very different from mine or that of anyone in our family who have had VWs over many decades. When I sold my last TDI Golf it had over 200,000 km on the odometer and not once in ten years of ownership did it have any problems.
I have said it in the past and will say it again: it is my firm belief that VW builds cars destined for the American market differently than for the European market. They even design them differently, to match what many Americans, at least in the past, preferred: large, yet comparatively cheap cars with leather interior and lots of creature comforts, but simple tech. Over here, the approach was and is very different: high build quality, as Germans tend to be very picky about that subject, lots of tech, yet smaller size, generally more expensive, and leather only optional. To name just the most obvious differences.

I am not trying to defend VW any more than necessary, or dismiss your experiences with your Model 3. But from my experience with our Tesla store and the test drives I have had up to now, neither the service level nor the build quality or UI experience came anywhere close to what I was used to from VW (or BMW for that matter).

Again, it might be very different in the US, where traditional car dealerships seem to have a very negative image anyway.
You may be correct about differences in VW in different countries. My experiences here in the USA with the TDI is rather common among others I know. Hopefully, the Telsa experience in Germany is as good as it is in the USA.

BTW, I used to live in Zurich, working for Citroen/Renault. I enjoyed the occasional drive up to Frankfurt. I had a favorite pizza place there, though I now forget the name.

Like I said, up to now the Tesla experience leaves a lot to be desired. I am willing to give them some leeway not only because as a Tesla stockholder I somehow feel more attached to the company but also because they are still relatively new to the game. But once the Model 3 arrives here they better get their act together. As it stands, they would not last long as soon as Germany legacy automakers release their own BEVs and use their sales and production might in the same way they used to with ICE cars in the past.

I mean, just for example, when BMW tells me they will call me back about something, they will do so. When they tell me they will send me information about something, they will. Etc.
Not once did anyone at Tesla call me back when they told me they would. Not once did they do anything they said they would. I always had to call back myself, and more often than not was told that "salesperson X has left the company, manager Y doesn't work for us any more, etc."
Not very trust-inspiring to be honest. Let's just hope they get better (and learn how to get their employees to stay a while longer than just a few weeks/months).

• Informative
Reactions: gene
I know (and fully appreciate) that fact. As a Tesla stockholder I am very happy about any sales successes the company can report.
BUT: my gripe is that there was no "cut off date" for preferrential treatment of existing owners or rather the lax definition of "existing" owners.
If only owners who had a Tesla when reservations were made possible got preferrential treatment that would have been ok with me. There would have been a time when all existing owners would have gotten their Model 3 and then non-owners would have gotten the cars they reserved. They could have even said "everyone who buys a Tesla until date X, for example Dez 31, 2016, will get preferrential treatment, after that it's first come first served".
As it is, even someone (in the US) who bought a Model S or X yesterday and reserves a Model 3 today will get an invite to configure shortly, while all non owners get pushed back even more, even those who reserved on day one, almost two years ago. That imho is showing a big F***-you finger at those early non-owner reservationists. After all, my projected delivery date got pushed back three times already, the latest happened a short while ago, after it became apparent that loads of new reservations are pouring in from people in the US who just bought an S or X recently or who had already gotten their 3 and are now allowed unlimited new reservations/invites to configure even though it was claimed that it was one per existing owned vehicle. And let's not forget, even though us non-owner early reservationists didn't support Tesla as much as early buyers of S and X vehicles, we too gave Tesla over 400 million dollars of "trust" in advance. Not to simply be dismissed either I would say.

Interesting. Was that the "old" e-Golf or the updated newer one with the larger battery and longer range?
And about the comparison. Well, to be honest, when I compare the UI experience in both vehicles, I very much prefer the e-Golf over the Model 3.
My main reasons for choosing a Model 3 in the first place were:

a) even though I don't actually need it, I would love the immense range
b) again, I won't need it 99% of the time, but the SC network might come in handy one day
c) it's roomier than the e-Golf
d) it looks more sexy
e) it's a Tesla

For everything else I prefer the e-Golf actually:

a) better build quality
b) much better UI
c) easier when it comes to service (dealership in walking distance vs Tesla being 40 miles away)
d) no stupid keycard/phone app needed to open/close the car

I'm glad you're sticking to your Model 3 reservation. As many have already said you won't be disappointed and I think you will regret the e-Golf, not the other way around. I already stated earlier how I think Tesla should have rolled out Model 3 sales so I feel for you, but I promise it's worth the wait.

My model 3 VIN is 60XX and I have zero gripes on build quality, the UI is really nice, and hopefully you won't need to service the Model 3 anytime soon. So far owners in my area have had zero issues. I also love the phone key app and it works great. Better than the key for my Model S imo. You simply walk up and walk away from the car. It makes me forget to lock my ICE cars at times because you get so used to it lol