Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else annoyed by the software controlling seat movement and positioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
When activating easy access to allow someone to get into the third row, 2nd row seat slides forward and so does the front seat depending on how much room there is. That's fine. But when reversing the easy access it forgets the original position of the 1st and 2nd row seat. Any adult in the 3rd row could get his or her legs crushed by the 2nd row, and the 1st row moves so far back you'd think it was getting ready for an 8 foot tall driver.

Also, does anyone know why there are more forward positions for the 2nd row available in easy access mode that are not available when the seat is in "latched" occupied position? We're short people and can set the seats in a way to give very generous leg room to the 2nd and 3rd row but it seems there is an unreasonably low limit to how far forward the car will allow the 2nd row. What exactly does being "latched" mean?

Reactions: Marcos
I agree, but I think this is something that will be fixed with software if you just notify the tesla team.

Feature request: return 1st and second row seats to their prior position.
Most annoying is that the change in seat position does NOT trigger the driver profile to allow a restore. In other words, after moving the 2nd row seats to allow access to the third row, the DRIVER's seat gets moved too. If you try to RESTORE your position using driver profiles, the button is grayed out.

As far as "latched", my guess is that it refers to some safety lock to prevent the seat from moving in case of an accident. I only say this because I think I heard the 3rd row seat problem referred to as a problem with a latch in the 3rd row... so I'm assuming there's some safety latch that needs to be in place to lock the chair in position

Agree with everyone here and it got worse with 2.16.17.

Some of the issue could be fixed by letting you adjust second row seats from touchscreen - not just if they're not locked.

Regardless, this is a software fix that doesn't seem overly complex. Hopefully it comes soon as my kids are getting tired of getting smashed.

I don't use the back row often, but noticed the few times I move the middle row forward and then back, that my driver seat configuration moves back out of the expected range for the driver profile or last known position.

Also the console doesnt alert me that the seat position is different from the selected driver profile but clicking the profile will reset it to normal.

Is this a bug? Feature?

Nevermind, looks like there's another thread - Anyone else annoyed by the software controlling seat movement and positioning?

Last edited:
Reactions: loganintx
I will delete my other post in User Interface - just noticed the same thing over the weekend, and called Service. They said it's working as intended and at this time there is no way for it to remember the seat position as it's sliding back with the middle seats... I hope they are listing this as a bug to be fixed...

-To restore the seat position, I click the Driver Profile Name twice (once to get the grayed out buttons, and again to get the seat moving.

I agree that the illogical behavior of the 2nd row seats is troubling. I reported this to Tesla the last time I brought in my X for service. The response was "the seats are operating as expected within their defined parameters" but that Tesla will take my concerns under advisement. Guess we'll have to wait for someone's legs to actually be crushed in the third row before Tesla fixes the mind-of-their-own 2nd row seats (especially the middle one).

@grommet I hope the fix is the ability to control seats from front screen and I also hope they do implement cargo mode at some point.

Right now, my kids can't ride in third row, so it doesn't matter. When they could, I would have to stand there and press the button to make the seat stop moving or they'd get the ol' leg crush.

I despise the second row seat controls and apparent SkyNet control of them. The goal of my second row seats is to crush the legs of my third-row passengers, inconvenience my front row passenger, and embarrass my 2nd row passengers when their "unlatched" seats require the equally embarrassed driver (me!) to have to pull over and figure out why the 2nd row keeps sending warnings to the main screen (the fix, of course, being to crush the legs of my third row passengers).

I don't even understand why the front passenger seat needs to move at all. Last night we had six people in the car, and after opening the falcon wing doors, the front passenger seat moved back and then never automatically returned to its original forward position. Why would that seat move back?! And that middle second row seat was obviously operated by the Matrix, because I sure as heck had no control over it. Move a side 2nd row seat just a touch and the middle seat moves all the way back all by itself to crush my passengers' legs.

If one prevents the 2nd row seats from moving all the way back so legs don't get crushed, then the car keeps incessantly telling me that it's not safe to drive with the seats in the current position. What kind of stupid engineering makes the second row seats safe in some positions and dangerous just an inch off? If the seats aren't safe where the passenger puts them, why does the car let the passenger put them there? That's dumb!

I should note when I complained about this to our service center, I was told the seats are operating as designed. My response was such that I shouldn't repeat it here in case children are reading.

But of course, there's always the chance that I'm the problem, so can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong if that's the case? Am I missing some obvious procedure that saves my 3rd row passengers from amputation, my 2nd row passengers from being unhinged (er... unlatched), and my 1st row passenger from being yelled at for moving his seat back unnecessarily and squishing my 2nd row passenger (which was really HAL 9000's fault)?

I agree 100% with the vitriolic comments about this absolutely stupid seat moving system the Model X has. It is beyond bad, it is actually dangerous. Some day I am going to post an edited video of all the bad design choices, software bugs, and insane "features" of the Model X that annoy me on a daily basis. It won't be a short video.

I recently sent an e-mail to that address and received the same "operating within intended parameters" response. But every person who writes probably adds a +1 to Tesla's complaint tracker, so it's worth dropping them a line if you're of the same opinion as FoxXxy.

It sounds like it should fixable with software. Right now, it is absurd. Super annoying and every time I move the second row driver side forward, driver seat moves and doesn't go back to my position AND forgets my setting.

I really hope software fixes it. I don't think the tech folks online have any idea how it IS supposed to work since the seats seem to choose their own movement. My middle seat, second row, wouldn't move when outside seat did after last update. Then, this morning, no new update, it started working perfectly again.

Silly thing is, despite all of the quirks, I friggin' LOVE the car!

I would love someone from Tesla to explain to me why the front passenger seat needs to move at all when I'm adjusting the 2nd row seats, especially when someone is sitting in that front seat. And why sometimes the second row seat recline and position isn't adjustable by the passenger sitting there (using the lower controls), and other times the controls work.

I noticed after upgrading to release 2.17.37 the front and middle seat returned to the previous position. Now this could just be a one off fluke since my musical seat positions was random before the release. Further investigation is warranted and I will try to take a look later today to verify more. But it would be great if this issue was fixed in the current release.