Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else annoyed by the software controlling seat movement and positioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed after upgrading to release 2.17.37 the front and middle seat returned to the previous position. Now this could just be a one off fluke since my musical seat positions was random before the release. Further investigation is warranted and I will try to take a look later today to verify more. But it would be great if this issue was fixed in the current release.

How are you getting all of these updates? My car is still on 2.15.50 I believe, and I haven't received anything since I got the X 10 days ago.

How are you getting all of these updates? My car is still on 2.15.50 I believe, and I haven't received anything since I got the X 10 days ago.

It can be random. I received 2.17.37 on the 23rd. From my experience with the S it can take a few days to a week to roll out software. Stay connected to WiFi and eventually it will come.

I can confirm that the front seats move back to the previous position however the middle row seats do not they will always return to the furthest position resulting in crushed legs in the third row. But I am happy the front seats are better the kids in the back can fend for themselves.

@Blastphemy The front seat needs to move in case there's a car seat in second row, I think. I have car seats in my X and if the front seats didn't move, the second row wouldn't have space to move forward to allow people to get in 3rd row.

As for updates, I am still rolling with 2.16.17. What's up with that?

Of course since I complained today, my car just finished upgrading to 2.16.85 - I can't find any info about it online, so no idea what is in it.
And you never will. Tesla never announces what is updated in these minor releases and if you read the release notes they will be the same as the last major release. It is up to industrious owners to notice changes and speculate on what is fixed, adjusted or changed. I wish at least they would say something even if it is generic.

I just received 2.16.85 and I'm happy to report that bone crusher seems to be gone. The 2nd row seat now returns to its previous position after quick access. I'm still annoyed that the 2nd row has such limited forward movement allowed in "latched" mode even though we know it can physically go a lot further.

Reactions: grommet
@commasign I have the same "prepare for Shaq" issue. If I touch my profile and the press "Restore", it does back to where it should. Still annoying, but at least I am not fine tuning every time I get in.

Agreed. It could be worse I guess. Let's hope a future update adds rear seat profiles as well. I want a rear seat customization screen at least as customizable as all the current summon settings, such as fine tuning how much leg room for each row.

I tested mine extensively the other day. Looks like mine behaves the following:

1) when the easy access button is pressed while someone is sitting in the 3rd row, it would disregard my 2nd row position and return the 2nd row to the position that maximizes 3rd row leg room

2) when no one is in the 3rd row and the easy access is pressed, 2nd row would go back to the previous position

I've also experienced the driver seat losing memory and moved all the way back (Shaq mode)--couldn't reproduce it but what I did was quickly switch over to my wife's profile and switch it back to re-activate my seating position.

1) when the easy access button is pressed while someone is sitting in the 3rd row, it would disregard my 2nd row position and return the 2nd row to the position that maximizes 3rd row leg room

2) when no one is in the 3rd row and the easy access is pressed, 2nd row would go back to the previous position

That seems to be the behavior with adults or a truly empty seat but having a child seat installed throws everything off. The local service center initially wasn't able to reproduce the issue when I took out the child seats but when I brought it back to them with the child seats installed it was pretty clear the functionality changed. They have opened an inquiry for the child seat situation.

I noted something interesting today. When I got the X, if I put a second row seat forward all the way to get to third row, it would give me a warning when I drove that the second row seat wasn't locked and it would keep beeping.

Today, I did the same thing, but this time it gave me one warning saying it was not locked and no one should ride in it. I could have used the screen to put it back, but chose to close the warning and leave the seat forward. The car was fine with that and gave me no more warnings or beeps. Almost like stealth implementation of a cargo mode.