Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else being forced to cancel long-pending MY reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I am surprised Tesla ever let orders stay on hold so long in the past. Where else could you lock in pricing for a year for 100 dollars just to think about it, or while waiting for possible rebates someday? Historically they have even adjusted prices down when they changed while on hold! Who does that? To me it always did seem too good to be true. I hate to see it end, but I think it is good that they are at least extending the courtesy of fair warning that this is the last chance to take possession at the configured pricing.

Actually I am surprised Tesla ever let orders stay on hold so long in the past. Where else could you lock in pricing for a year for 100 dollars just to think about it, or while waiting for possible rebates someday? Historically they have even adjusted prices down when they changed while on hold! Who does that? To me it always did seem too good to be true. I hate to see it end, but I think it is good that they are at least extending the courtesy of fair warning that this is the last chance to take possession at the configured pricing.
Actually, I am surprised that you are surprised. As things stand today, a MAJORITY of Tesla's products, including their solar products, have no reasonably accurate estimate for when the customers can take delivery. For almost all of Tesla's products, it is the norm for customers to eagerly order them, want them ASAP, but wait without knowing exactly when they will get them. In effect, delivery time is a highly unreliable factor for almost all of Tesla's products. That's the customer's perspective.

From Tesla's perspective - they have plenty of demand. If one customer doesn't want to take immediate delivery, they have hundreds, if not thousands of other customers, who will happily take that same product immediately. Moreover, those new customers are probably paying more for the same product than the customer holding an older order. So, they don't have any motivation to force a customer who wants to wait to take delivery, and force another customer who does want it to wait, thereby increasing unhappiness all around.

I think something else has changed for the current push. I can think of a couple of reasons: (a) Many people are busy with holidays, family, travel ,etc.at this time of the year, and not hustling to take delivery. (b) The tax credit news may have increased the number of people who are choosing to wait until next year. Both these things are getting in the way of Tesla wanting to make a big end of year delivery push, and finish 2021 with a big bang. So, Tesla is having to force some people to take delivery. We will see how it all plays out...

Reactions: pepperoni
Actually, I am surprised that you are surprised. As things stand today, a MAJORITY of Tesla's products, including their solar products, have no reasonably accurate estimate for when the customers can take delivery. For almost all of Tesla's products, it is the norm for customers to eagerly order them, want them ASAP, but wait without knowing exactly when they will get them. In effect, delivery time is a highly unreliable factor for almost all of Tesla's products. That's the customer's perspective.
How long do you think would be a reasonable amount of time for Tesla to allow buyers to hold a price without taking delivery?