Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else being forced to cancel long-pending MY reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long can you hold a Model Y reservation without taking delivery? I have a reservation from Feb 2020, and Tesla says they will cancel it unless I take delivery by June. For various reasons, I am not ready to buy yet, but I think I will be by the end of this year.

Is it normal for Tesla to force cancellation of reservations? I thought it was normal for Tesla and Tesla customers to wait on reservations for really long times because of various reasons from either party.

I got a similar email for my Jan 2020 reservation but it said “Your order is set to cancel soon” but didnt give a time frame. It does say that if i still intend to take delivery please contact order support.

I sent a response with the intent to take delivery in the summer, waiting to hear back.

Yes, I recently changed my LR RWD order to LR AWD in anticipation of the new headlights and just got the email this morning.. Too bad because I literally gave them an interest free loan of $2,500 for 2 years which is $70k in TSLA now..

I got a similar email for my Jan 2020 reservation but it said “Your order is set to cancel soon” but didnt give a time frame. It does say that if i still intend to take delivery please contact order support.

I sent a response with the intent to take delivery in the summer, waiting to hear back.

I think I got that same reservation too, and I told them I would take delivery later this year. I got Tesla solar recently and even installed a wall charger at home. Just waiting for the cash flow to ease and stabilize a bit before I can make another big purchase like the MY.

But what I am really curious about is if it is normal for Tesla to force cancel orders like these. If not, why are they forcing this with the MY? Are they expecting to bump up the price in the near future in response to the expected government rebates? Or some other reason...?

I think I got that same reservation too, and I told them I would take delivery later this year. I got Tesla solar recently and even installed a wall charger at home. Just waiting for the cash flow to ease and stabilize a bit before I can make another big purchase like the MY.

But what I am really curious about is if it is normal for Tesla to force cancel orders like these. If not, why are they forcing this with the MY? Are they expecting to bump up the price in the near future in response to the expected government rebates? Or some other reason...?

Must be something coming up because I am seeing on Facebook and here of order dates varying between 1-2 years, thought it was because I hit the 2 year mark but I guess not?

My reservation is from 3/‘19 (day ‘1’- $2500 deposit). I postponed my order 2 months ago after getting a vin because I’m waiting to test drive new MX and compare the two. Plus I’m not driving much lately so don’t need a new car especially.

my order was postponed to May but now it says July for some reason. I received the ‘cancel’ email this morning, requesting a response by 4/20 to avoid cancellation. I wrote back and asked them not to cancel my order. It is $2k cheaper than current prices so that would be a bummer.

How long can you hold a Model Y reservation without taking delivery? I have a reservation from Feb 2020, and Tesla says they will cancel it unless I take delivery by June. For various reasons, I am not ready to buy yet, but I think I will be by the end of this year.

Is it normal for Tesla to force cancellation of reservations? I thought it was normal for Tesla and Tesla customers to wait on reservations for really long times because of various reasons from either party.
I got the take delivery or cancel email as well. I ordered in mid 2019 (originally in early 2019 but I canceled and reordered with a lower price). I was asked to take delivery Feb of 2020, 14 months ago. I supposed I have delayed enough so I am going to take delivery when it is available to me.

My reservation is from 3/‘19 (day ‘1’- $2500 deposit). I postponed my order 2 months ago after getting a vin because I’m waiting to test drive new MX and compare the two. Plus I’m not driving much lately so don’t need a new car especially.

my order was postponed to May but now it says July for some reason. I received the ‘cancel’ email this morning, requesting a response by 4/20 to avoid cancellation. I wrote back and asked them not to cancel my order. It is $2k cheaper than current prices so that would be a bummer.
Did you get a reply? I also replied back not to cancel my order..

I too replied back to the email, but I too didn't get a reply to my email. But I replied to a text message I got in early March. I simply said December 2021, and they replied:

We are unable to hold the Tesla until December. We can hold it until June at the latest. If you cannot take delivery in June then we will need to cancel the order and you can reorder when you are ready to receive the Tesla.

Ouch! Considering that they have made an effort to reach out to many people with old waiting orders, I am inclined to believe something's up. Here are my speculations:

1. Price increase due to the Federal rebate.
2. Major MY refresh from Austin coming in the second half of this year, and they want to clear out all old orders with current models from Fremont.

What do you guys think?

Yes, I recently changed my LR RWD order to LR AWD in anticipation of the new headlights and just got the email this morning.. Too bad because I literally gave them an interest free loan of $2,500 for 2 years which is $70k in TSLA now..

Damn!

Did you get a reply? I also replied back not to cancel my order..
No, I wouldn’t really be surprised either way whether they do or not. I might try to call but if they ultimately cancel it, that’s their prerogative and not much I can do about it.

I definitely need to wait on definite word of the FTC, which I suspect is why they’d want to cancel old reservations, because new pricing is coming to reflect the FTC.

Let’s be realistic here. The point of ordering something is to have it delivered. I would consider a delay of 90 days reasonable but delaying delivery for a year or more and expecting to hold the slot and pricing from long ago is a very unrealistic expectation.
While that is true, many of us made these reservations before they started producing the car and the expectation was Fall 2020.....add the global pandemic to that and it's a completely different scenario for many. I believe the people who got this email (myself included) placed the reservation in January/February 2020.

Reactions: GuntherWA
From a personal perspective, yes we want all the flexibility we want and yes I would love to have pricing locked in forever too like house prices, can I lock in pricing from 1980? From a business perspective, if you were Elon Musk would you want people to delay order all the time and never being able to project revenue to Wall Street and to employees? Imagine if massive amount of people were to do this, I don't think Tesla can sustain a business of people delaying order for years to come. There're always valid reason to delay accepting an order, so instead I think setting a limit or cancel is a medium between cancelling your order immediately or give you some room to go. Another way to look at it, can you tell your OBGYN, hey can we delay delivery of our baby for a year?

I'm in the same boat, I'm a March 2019 order; gave them an interest-free 2500 loan when they needed it, but now I'm not able to take delivery until the 2nd half of this year. I think this is an unprecedented time and the optics of this are very poor:
1.) Still in global pandemic that changed the way people travel
2.) Many people had a big surprise this tax year due to IRS messing up withholding
3.) They often could not deliver a car that was "in spec" (even their definition of "in-spec") for customers in 2020

The price is basically the same more or less, other than FSD, so if you don't have that on your order why force people to cancel? My base price is actually higher than the current one.

Can we band together and get a story on electrek and/or HN?

Last edited:
Let’s be realistic here. The point of ordering something is to have it delivered. I would consider a delay of 90 days reasonable but delaying delivery for a year or more and expecting to hold the slot and pricing from long ago is a very unrealistic expectation.

The reality is that we entered into a purchase contract with Tesla where the ONLY agreed parameter was the price, and there was no commitment on time from either party.

90 days? Lol! You order a Tesla and you wait months to take delivery, without even knowing when your order will be fulfilled. In my own case, it was months before I even heard back from them that they could fulfill my order. This continues to be the case for Tesla's other products. This is a very common situation with Tesla and not some rare exception!

In other words, Tesla is changing the terms of the contract, and giving us less than 3 months to do a large purchase. It's not unrealistic to wonder why that's happening, and why now, and why for this particular product. In fact, it is expected and normal for one to wonder about it.

PS: This phenomenon is called Blue Knighting. In every thread where customers are discussing some policy or practice of a corporation, there will be people who defend the corporation as if it was their own family business and being a little more customer-friendly would result in substantial losses to their own personal wealth!