Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else being forced to cancel long-pending MY reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s be realistic here. The point of ordering something is to have it delivered. I would consider a delay of 90 days reasonable but delaying delivery for a year or more and expecting to hold the slot and pricing from long ago is a very unrealistic expectation.

Tell that to Tesla!!! I have been waiting for my LR RWD for 2 years to be delivered!! I ordered 2 years ago and I expect it to be delivered!!! But instead they have held on to my deposit for 2 years with zero communication to me about my LR RWD model Y..

Reactions: aswami
From a personal perspective, yes we want all the flexibility we want and yes I would love to have pricing locked in forever too like house prices, can I lock in pricing from 1980? From a business perspective, if you were Elon Musk would you want people to delay order all the time and never being able to project revenue to Wall Street and to employees? Imagine if massive amount of people were to do this, I don't think Tesla can sustain a business of people delaying order for years to come. There're always valid reason to delay accepting an order, so instead I think setting a limit or cancel is a medium between cancelling your order immediately or give you some room to go. Another way to look at it, can you tell your OBGYN, hey can we delay delivery of our baby for a year?

The point is, those terms should have been set at the time of signing the contract. If you want to change the contract terms, you negotiate with some wiggle room and options. Not give a unilateral ultimatum!

Baby analogy - really? Our orders are sitting orphaned in some parking lot where Tesla delivered them cuz it was biologically impossible for Tesla to hold it in longer, or sell to a different customer who wants the same config? Jeez!

I'm in the same boat, I'm a March 2019 order; gave them an interest-free 2500 loan when they needed it, but now I'm not able to take delivery until the 2nd half of this year. I think this is an unprecedented time and the optics of this are very poor:
1.) Still in global pandemic that changed the way people travel
2.) Many people had a big surprise this tax year due to IRS messing up withholding
3.) They often could not deliver a car that was "in spec" (even their definition of "in-spec") for customers in 2020

The price is basically the same more or less, other than FSD, so if you don't have that on your order why force people to cancel? My base price is actually higher than the current one.

Can we band together and get a story on electrek and/or HN?
If your price is higher than current, why wouldnt you just cancel and reorder?

or else you can change color or something and get the lower price.

my price is $2k lower than current because of FSD so that’s the dilemma for me.

Reactions: vpatel787
Tell that to Tesla!!! I have been waiting for my LR RWD for 2 years to be delivered!! I ordered 2 years ago and I expect it to be delivered!!! But instead they have held on to my deposit for 2 years with zero communication to me about my LR RWD model Y..
Your situation is somewhat different than those who ordered a car in production. I would have demanded a refund and Tesla should provide that. The timeline to deliver a rwd Lr was always in the future. They have however had enough time and should refund your deposit. Have you requested a refund and they refused?

So I've had this happen twice. Once with the model 3, just never wanted it after driving one. Then when the MY came out tbh I wasn't a huge fan. With both they kept text/calling and were basically like dude either buy it or we're sending your money back. I finally committed recently and pulled the trigger because now I need a car. They did get a $3500 loan from me for a few years.

How long can you hold a Model Y reservation without taking delivery? I have a reservation from Feb 2020, and Tesla says they will cancel it unless I take delivery by June. For various reasons, I am not ready to buy yet, but I think I will be by the end of this year.

Is it normal for Tesla to force cancellation of reservations? I thought it was normal for Tesla and Tesla customers to wait on reservations for really long times because of various reasons from either party.
I don't think that's unreasonable by Tesla. You say you 'think' you'll be ready to take delivery by the end of this year, but from Tesla's point of view, you've had an order hanging out over a year. Multiple that by a bunch and you start to create a forecasting issue for them, I would imagine. As it is, it's great that they allow someone to lock in a price and defer a few months. I'm not sure anyone else does that. But a year and change is getting a little ridiculous.

I think the main thing that's changed here (aside from the fact that people are no longer providing $2500 interest-free loans in the form of reservations) is that with the short-lived release of the SR and the 7 seat variant of the Model Y, Tesla has more or less delivered on all of the variants that people would have originally placed an order for when the Y was announced (and they have ruled out any other variants like LR RWD).

In other words no one now can say that they are still waiting on Tesla to deliver version XYX of the Model Y that was promised 2 years ago. Anyone holding off now is waiting due to their own situation, or because of some predicted (but officially unconfirmed) feature addition in the future. They also may have a lot of people holding orders now that are basically waiting (an unknown amount of time) for the $7000 tax incentive to pass.

There is not really any point in placing an advance order for a Y now given that the max wait time is almost never more than 1 quarter. So this may quite simply be Tesla's attempt to get the message out that they are now enforcing their order policy (which I think mentions it is good for 90 days) and discourage people from placing an order 1 year before they need the car.

I think I got that same reservation too, and I told them I would take delivery later this year. I got Tesla solar recently and even installed a wall charger at home. Just waiting for the cash flow to ease and stabilize a bit before I can make another big purchase like the MY.

But what I am really curious about is if it is normal for Tesla to force cancel orders like these. If not, why are they forcing this with the MY? Are they expecting to bump up the price in the near future in response to the expected government rebates? Or some other reason...?

Yes, it's common.

My Model 3 SR+ order was cancelled when I didn't follow through with it. I ordered when the SR+ first went on sale, when you could get it without Autopilot. They upped the price and included Autopilot as standard. It was some time between 3 and 6 months after I placed my order.

No way they will cancel it. It’s just a BS sales tactic.
No it's not, plenty of examples of Tesla cancelling orders that go on too long. For myself, Tesla actively canceled my Model 3 reservation with the $1000 deposit (I reserved at launch, but wasn't ready to buy one until recently and was considering the Model Y at the time they said they would cancel). The rep who called didn't try to upsell me or push me to go forward with the order, nor did they say for me to transfer the deposit over to a Y, just said they will mail me a check.

No it's not, plenty of examples of Tesla cancelling orders that go on too long. For myself, Tesla actively canceled my Model 3 reservation with the $1000 deposit (I reserved at launch, but wasn't ready to buy one until recently and was considering the Model Y at the time they said they would cancel). The rep who called didn't try to upsell me or push me to go forward with the order, nor did they say for me to transfer the deposit over to a Y, just said they will mail me a check.
Have you received your check?

Have you received your check?
Yes, received it mid last year, didn't order a Model 3 until October. Couldn't wait for Model Y as there was no sign of the SR coming out, and LR was too expensive for me given I didn't need the extra range. Model Y SR didn't come out until a few days after I took delivery of my 2021 Model 3 SR+.

I don't deal with the financial parts in my job, but AR in where I work seems to not like to keep deposits or funds on the books for long periods of time when they can't be recognized as revenue (but rather remain as liabilities), for whatever reason. Probably Tesla is doing similar for the reservations here.

Last edited:
I had my order march of 2019 lol . Just got delivery a few weeks ago. I was the guy that got charged twice.

The key is to say you're ready for delivery say, August. And then if you can't do it, defer a few weeks or another month. That's what I did. Maybe they changed the protocol?

Man I don't think they check their email, I got a text reminder to reply to the email if I want to keep my order lol, I guess they really want to cancel my order if they are emailing and texting me about it even though I have responded not to cancel the order..

Reactions: vpatel787
Ouch! Considering that they have made an effort to reach out to many people with old waiting orders, I am inclined to believe something's up. Here are my speculations:

1. Price increase due to the Federal rebate.
2. Major MY refresh from Austin coming in the second half of this year, and they want to clear out all old orders with current models from Fremont.

What do you guys think?
What so special about April 20th?

Currently the Model Y delivery is 6-10 weeks. So deliveries would be between June 1rst and June 29th.

So "something" is really going to happen, may be on June 1rst ?

- I guess this had to deal with the President Biden's $174 billion EV package.

And I guess, any prior reservations will be cancelled if not used.

It’s Tesla we’re talking about, people speculated for pages on another thread that “something was up” because they weren’t getting their first software update a couple of weeks after delivery. Lo and behold, they got their update yesterday and nothing was up, just a good ol’ update to 4.13. The sunroof didn’t open all of a sudden, and the range didn’t become 500 miles.

Maybe what’s “up” is that it’s ridiculous to reserve a car 2+ years before actually needing it/being able to afford it?

I have said this in a few other threads - but our 4/2019 MY 7 seat LR RWD was canceled w/o notice the 1st week of Jan, this year. Only reason i knew it was canceled is we randomly got a $2500 check in the mail. When I called, they gave me the option of reordering but told me the LR RWD was not ever going to made, so I could order the LR or SR but it had to be AWD. We ordered SR 7 seat on 1/20 - still no vin and delivery date has appeared and disappeared 2 x. New SA told us we'd most likely get our car next week, Im not holding my breath. But I am pissed that i gave Tesla a $2500 interest free loan and in return all I've received is a ton of aggravation and frustration.

Quick question because I’m about to place an order seeing that it’s going to take about 6-10 weeks to begin with. Do you all go through the financing/leasing signing of the paperwork online and get that all finished up?
Follow up to that question, do you still only put the $100 until delivery date where you put the “Due at signing” money? And you can cancel in between that time and time at delivery?

And last question, how do you delay the delivery? Do they say ok your car is ready let’s schedule the apt and you just keep rescheduling?