Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else being forced to cancel long-pending MY reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question because I’m about to place an order seeing that it’s going to take about 6-10 weeks to begin with. Do you all go through the financing/leasing signing of the paperwork online and get that all finished up?
Follow up to that question, do you still only put the $100 until delivery date where you put the “Due at signing” money? And you can cancel in between that time and time at delivery?

And last question, how do you delay the delivery? Do they say ok your car is ready let’s schedule the apt and you just keep rescheduling?
I just placed my MY order this week on Wed. when it was still 5-9 weeks. Later in the day it went to 6-10 weeks and today up $500. I have been in close contact with my Tesla Advisor and he has been very helpful. Says to keep it as paying in cash for now, because a credit check will only be good for 30-60 days. And the trade-in is definitely only good for 30 days. So I haven't started either process yet.

Yes, only $100 until delivery. And yes you can cancel, but if you cancel you lose the $100.

I asked my Tesla Advisor to delay my delivery until July/August. He said I can delay without issue for 3 months post being assigned the first VIN.

This is literally a copy and paste of my Congratulations on your new Model Y email this morning: "To follow up from the other day, I do see that your order was linked to the referral code. I've went ahead and completed your order checkout for you, but as we get closer to delivery, we'll need to add your trade-in, and switch your payment method from cash to financing. Knowing that you're looking to take delivery around July/August, I'll reach out with important updates, especially if there's an incentive to take delivery by June."

When I log into my Tesla account it says Estimated Delivery: April 25 - May 11. Even if the VIN is assigned on April 25th, then I can delay until July 25th no problem or possibly out to August 11th. At least according to my Tesla Advisor. I was told when they assign your VIN you are given a day for pickup and can pickup that day or within 3 days of that day. Otherwise, it goes into asking for a delay and you will need to wait for the next VIN to match your build to you and the process repeats. Repeats up to 3 months post that first VIN assignment. Unless they pull strings I guess, because the order Terms of Agreement say within 3 months:

"Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect
your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of
your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your
Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee."

Last edited:
I just placed my MY order this week on Wed. when it was still 5-9 weeks. Later in the day it went to 6-10 weeks and today up $500. I have been in close contact with my Tesla Advisor and he has been very helpful. Says to keep it as paying in cash for now, because a credit check will only be good for 30-60 days. And the trade-in is definitely only good for 30 days. So I haven't started either process yet.

Yes, only $100 until delivery. And yes you can cancel, but if you cancel you lose the $100.

I asked my Tesla Advisor to delay my delivery until July/August. He said I can delay without issue for 3 months post being assigned the first VIN.

This is literally a copy and paste of my Congratulations on your new Model Y email this morning: "To follow up from the other day, I do see that your order was linked to the referral code. I've went ahead and completed your order checkout for you, but as we get closer to delivery, we'll need to add your trade-in, and switch your payment method from cash to financing. Knowing that you're looking to take delivery around July/August, I'll reach out with important updates, especially if there's an incentive to take delivery by June."

When I log into my Tesla account it says Estimated Delivery: April 25 - May 11. Even if the VIN is assigned on April 25th, then I can delay until July 25th no problem or possibly out to August 11th. At least according to my Tesla Advisor. I was told when they assign your VIN you are given a day for pickup and can pickup that day or within 3 days of that day. Otherwise, it goes into asking for a delay and you will need to wait for the next VIN to match your build to you and the process repeats. Repeats up to 3 months post that first VIN assignment. Unless they pull strings I guess, because the order Terms of Agreement say within 3 months:

"Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect
your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of
your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your
Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to
This is great info. Thank you very much!

Sgalla04 : Thanks for the info and taking the time to post. Extremely helpful , as like many others, I’m on the fence with ordering now vs waiting another month or so (my patience muscle is working overtime as I watch numerous vids). I’m following your journey to learn what that fine line looks like between trying to capture tax credit and getting MY before Tesla raise prices (just opinion). After much review and thought, I’m going to wait another week or so to order and then use the entire 3 month delivery runway, per your experience. If you or anybody reading, sees any facts about timeline of Green Act or Infrastructure bill passing, please post your findings. No telling how fast Congress will move on this. I’ve landed on the fact that it’s going to be a roll of the dice.

Sgalla04 : Thanks for the info and taking the time to post. Extremely helpful , as like many others, I’m on the fence with ordering now vs waiting another month or so (my patience muscle is working overtime as I watch numerous vids). I’m following your journey to learn what that fine line looks like between trying to capture tax credit and getting MY before Tesla raise prices (just opinion). After much review and thought, I’m going to wait another week or so to order and then use the entire 3 month delivery runway, per your experience. If you or anybody reading, sees any facts about timeline of Green Act or Infrastructure bill passing, please post your findings. No telling how fast Congress will move on this. I’ve landed on the fact that it’s going to be a roll of the dice.
I am happy to help. Looks like the the estimated delivery date keeps changing everyday and even a couple times during the day, but continually being pushed. Luckily for me it shouldn’t matter with me trying to get a summer delivery.

Estimated Delivery: May 03 - May 23​

Tesla has probably gotten tired of people gaming the system, trying to arbitrage an order to optimize all sorts of possibilities.

For the most part, I imagine that Tesla expects people that place an order are fully intending to take delivery. They are tightening up their program to better predict actual deliveries.

I think I got that same reservation too, and I told them I would take delivery later this year. I got Tesla solar recently and even installed a wall charger at home. Just waiting for the cash flow to ease and stabilize a bit before I can make another big purchase like the MY.

But what I am really curious about is if it is normal for Tesla to force cancel orders like these. If not, why are they forcing this with the MY? Are they expecting to bump up the price in the near future in response to the expected government rebates? Or some other reason...?
Interesting, my SA has told me that once they say they have the car ready to be picked up, you have 3 days to do so or your car winds up in the existing inventory bucket for others to buy

I got a similar email for my Jan 2020 reservation but it said “Your order is set to cancel soon” but didnt give a time frame. It does say that if i still intend to take delivery please contact order support.

I sent a response with the intent to take delivery in the summer, waiting to hear back.
There's "order support?!?" How do I contact them? I have put down my $100 order fee for a AWD MY and requested delivery first week of August because I am away from home until then. Current lead time on the web site is 6-10 weeks!!! That's a helluva spread! My order shows on hold until July 15, because (I guess) my sales advisor took a wild-ass guess as to when to un-hold the order to get an early August delivery. I'm screwed if I release the hold too soon and the car is produced before I get home, and I lose out on some planned road trips if the delivery is delayed beyond my desired window. I feel helpless, and the vibe is that things happen as they happen and there is no visibility or control over production scheduling and delivery. Is the opaque nature of this process on purpose?

There's "order support?!?" How do I contact them? I have put down my $100 order fee for a AWD MY and requested delivery first week of August because I am away from home until then. Current lead time on the web site is 6-10 weeks!!! That's a helluva spread! My order shows on hold until July 15, because (I guess) my sales advisor took a wild-ass guess as to when to un-hold the order to get an early August delivery. I'm screwed if I release the hold too soon and the car is produced before I get home, and I lose out on some planned road trips if the delivery is delayed beyond my desired window. I feel helpless, and the vibe is that things happen as they happen and there is no visibility or control over production scheduling and delivery. Is the opaque nature of this process on purpose?
Send an email with your RN# to [email protected] and tell them your situation/plan

I received same warning text from Tesla for the reservation I made in Sept for a M3 SR White. Get the car or forget about $100. Well... I already got the car. Because they took forever to deliver, I made another reservation for an existing inventory. Crazy thing is Tesla wouldn’t let me transfer my old reservation for an exisiting inventory.
Well... I am about to lose $100. Is there a way that I can transfer my reservation to someone other than my family or friend? I am not trying to make money here. Just want to get my money back.

Tell that to Tesla!!! I have been waiting for my LR RWD for 2 years to be delivered!! I ordered 2 years ago and I expect it to be delivered!!! But instead they have held on to my deposit for 2 years with zero communication to me about my LR RWD model Y..
Any news about your MY LR RWD? We are on the same boat and still waiting for an answer from Tesla. I am thinking of pulling the plug and go somewhere else.

How long can you hold a Model Y reservation without taking delivery? I have a reservation from Feb 2020, and Tesla says they will cancel it unless I take delivery by June. For various reasons, I am not ready to buy yet, but I think I will be by the end of this year.

Is it normal for Tesla to force cancellation of reservations? I thought it was normal for Tesla and Tesla customers to wait on reservations for really long times because of various reasons from either party.
i will buy your spot and you can have my spot.

Reviving this thread based on reports of order HODLERs being asked to activate their orders by Dec 2nd.

How many of you got this email? Did you talk to your SAs after that?

What happens when you remove the hold on your order? Do you go to the back of the queue and are treated like a new order, or will you move up the queue to be prioritized for earlier delivery compared to more recent orders? Any experiences to share?

Reactions: brandon8387
Reviving this thread based on reports of order HODLERs being asked to activate their orders by Dec 2nd.

How many of you got this email? Did you talk to your SAs after that?

What happens when you remove the hold on your order? Do you go to the back of the queue and are treated like a new order, or will you move up the queue to be prioritized for earlier delivery compared to more recent orders? Any experiences to share?
Wooooooow! Tesla not playing with y’all trying to milk it for the tax bill 😅😅🤦🏾‍♂️

Reactions: Naija King
Saw this one on Reddit:
9aqelxlkhk181.jpg

The holds were always just a courtesy, Tesla have had a history of automatic cancels for holds that last too long. This was true even when there was no price pressure. Now, giving constantly rising prices, it's no wonder Tesla is push people off the holds.

There is an additional detail to what Tesla is telling people with orders on hold:

This is your last opportunity to take possession of your vehicle with configured pricing, and if your order is placed on hold after 12/2 or if the next available VIN is rejected, your order will be automatically cancelled.

So, your order could get canceled even if you reject the VIN! What are some legit reasons one might reject a VIN - too many manufacturing defects? Anything else? Do old orders forfeit the ability to reject the VIN for truly valid reasons?