Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else bothered by the "3D" zoom-out on the IC nav display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fist question i had when i got home after I took delivery of my pre owned 2016 TMS was why is the nav screen so "AFU" and can't stay put.. I have never had a car with nav have such crappy controls of your nav screen. Also, looking at my map, at the exit numbers: light grey, in a white box on a light blue field....BLACK letters is all i have to say there!

Reactions: David29
Anyone remember this?
capture120-png.524327

Yes! And that was exactly what I was referring to earlier when i said that the navigation had briefly been very good. That sort of intersection view was not the version on my car when I got it in 2015, but was the last version before the last big navigation update, when the maps turned gray and so on. Version 8 maybe? Anyway, yes, i really miss having that level of color and detail and close-up view!!! Why did they have to break it!!??

Yes! And that was exactly what I was referring to earlier when i said that the navigation had briefly been very good. That sort of intersection view was not the version on my car when I got it in 2015, but was the last version before the last big navigation update, when the maps turned gray and so on. Version 8 maybe? Anyway, yes, i really miss having that level of color and detail and close-up view!!! Why did they have to break it!!??
Tesla sometimes doesn't remember that great quote" if it aint broke, dont fix it"

I guess we all have different experiences and memories.
Navigation is in the end also dependent on how/where it is used.

While @r1200gs4ok , @David99 and (some others for sure) have probably genuine good experience, mine was that it was not doing a good job neither at routing or rerouting, estimating correct times of arrival and taking into account traffic conditions.
The new one is spot on in term of timing, always close to what Waze proposes (to me Waze is the most traffic condition aware solution) and reroutes fast and intelligently (not whining about returning to the initial route at all cost until you are far enough to make the effort or recalculating the best route).
And again, maybe Europe with his historical older routes and higher density, has more complex intersections, but those nice simplistic static pictures often where wrong and not useful.

But all of the above can indeed maybe vary pending on where you live or drive to/from.

I guess we all have different experiences and memories.
Navigation is in the end also dependent on how/where it is used.

While @r1200gs4ok , @David99 and (some others for sure) have probably genuine good experience, mine was that it was not doing a good job neither at routing or rerouting, estimating correct times of arrival and taking into account traffic conditions.
The new one is spot on in term of timing, always close to what Waze proposes (to me Waze is the most traffic condition aware solution) and reroutes fast and intelligently (not whining about returning to the initial route at all cost until you are far enough to make the effort or recalculating the best route).
And again, maybe Europe with his historical older routes and higher density, has more complex intersections, but those nice simplistic static pictures often where wrong and not useful.

But all of the above can indeed maybe vary pending on where you live or drive to/from.

Well, I do agree that the navigation has proven to be quite reliable in its time estimates and routing in recent years, despite my criticism above for the instrument cluster display. But the IC display can help you make the correct choices at crucial moments and thus help you actually follow the suggested route more reliably and safely.

It drives me nuts when I am using the nav system when driving around on non-highway areas and the IC display goes to a pseudo-3D zoom out. It seems to zoom in when you are < .3 miles from what it thinks is a turn but otherwise stays zoomed out. When I am in an unfamiliar area and there are complex intersections, it is not always clear what is "straight ahead" and you lose the detail you really want when it zooms out.

I really wish there was a nav system preference to disable this zooming. With the large display always visible, the 3d zoom is nothing but annoying to me. Please let me turn this off. I feel like the pre v9 versions of the software didn't zoom like that.

You kids get off my lawn.

I cannot agree more - I feel that this only started about 6 weeks ago for me - when my premium connectivity ran out and I renewed it the day after it ran out I have had this problem ever since - I booked in a service for it and was handed from technician to technician and there was an improvement for a few days and now we seem to be back to the same zoom out issue again. It really pi**es me off. I cannot be bothered reporting it again but I sure hope they deal with it. It is probably the absolute best nav system around but this glitch messes that part of it up. Please Elon - resolve!!