Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else bothered by the "3D" zoom-out on the IC nav display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It drives me nuts when I am using the nav system when driving around on non-highway areas and the IC display goes to a pseudo-3D zoom out. It seems to zoom in when you are < .3 miles from what it thinks is a turn but otherwise stays zoomed out. When I am in an unfamiliar area and there are complex intersections, it is not always clear what is "straight ahead" and you lose the detail you really want when it zooms out.

I really wish there was a nav system preference to disable this zooming. With the large display always visible, the 3d zoom is nothing but annoying to me. Please let me turn this off. I feel like the pre v9 versions of the software didn't zoom like that.

You kids get off my lawn.

I agree. I would love to have it be a static zoom setting and stay where I put it and still allow the map to scroll with the car location at that setting. I have found myself frantically zooming in at confusing interchanges, then having it auto-zoom out after a few seconds.

Reactions: Redbrick
hmm.. can't you just look at the big map? you literally cant exit the screen on the big map and it zooms in all the way for you too when on navi. I never look at the IC navi because i forget its there...
Sure I can, but the whole benefit of the IC map is you don’t need to take your eyes off the road as long. It used to always be there with the current location detail, and clearly show the situation. You can just glance down to see it, the big map is further away. It works great now when it thinks you are about to make a turn, showing what I want to see all the time.

The big map may not be in heading view or zoomed in well. Or it can be slow to update (thank you old slow mcu1) I liked using the big map for the trip view and the little IC one to glance at the upcoming turn decision, or if it wasn’t obvious what to do at the approaching intersection. In the Boston area there are lots of screwy intersections where the NAV doesn’t consider it a turn, but it sort of is.

At any point the big map could be zoomed out. I really don’t understand the purpose of the 3D angled view in the IC. The big map gives so much view, why zoom out on the little one. Especially since you can’t even get rid of the big map on the big screen anyway.

Just give me a preference button to keep the IC in 2D zoomed in view and I’ll quit whining. Does anyone actually like the 3D in the IC?

Reactions: croman
I like the zoom. What I would like is more street name details on the big map...it's annoying that it shows you some street names, but not always the one you are on, and most surrounding area streets are blank - makes looking for nearby street names impossible if you want to use the nav screen as an actual map. It would be nice to be able to choose the level of detail shown like most GPS units do.

Sure I can, but the whole benefit of the IC map is you don’t need to take your eyes off the road as long. It used to always be there with the current location detail, and clearly show the situation. You can just glance down to see it, the big map is further away. It works great now when it thinks you are about to make a turn, showing what I want to see all the time.

The big map may not be in heading view or zoomed in well. Or it can be slow to update (thank you old slow mcu1) I liked using the big map for the trip view and the little IC one to glance at the upcoming turn decision, or if it wasn’t obvious what to do at the approaching intersection. In the Boston area there are lots of screwy intersections where the NAV doesn’t consider it a turn, but it sort of is.

At any point the big map could be zoomed out. I really don’t understand the purpose of the 3D angled view in the IC. The big map gives so much view, why zoom out on the little one. Especially since you can’t even get rid of the big map on the big screen anyway.

Just give me a preference button to keep the IC in 2D zoomed in view and I’ll quit whining. Does anyone actually like the 3D in the IC?

i see. makes sense. i dont use the IC map, i always look to the middle, just because its much bigger and i can use fingers to zoom in an out

I agree that the IC nav map is not well done. I find myself relying more on the center screen, which takes my eyes away from the road. I was (and remain) annoyed when Tesla redesigned the nav system a couple of years ago, The IC screen used to be very similar to typical stand-along GPS units, which would focus on turn-by-turn views with good lane indicators, road signs, and so on. The current system shows good tight views of a few interchanges and intersections, but not many. Perhaps they simply do not have the data, maybe it costs too much to obtain all the roadways and signage detail. It was great for a while, but not now...

And don't get me started on how they degraded the main maps...Grr!

I think this is another case of Tesla's fondness for not-invented-here syndrome -- they simply do not like to use anyone else's solutions, even if the other solution is superior and already available.

In the event I have Nav in use, I always get rid of the IC map, and just wait for the pop-ups on what lane I should be in / when I should be turning, so I'm not quite sure what the zoom you are referencing is. Guess I'll have to test it out.

I don’t have any issue with the IC nag display. Think it works well to show you the next step, zooming in when nearing the turn and zooming out when to show you the context at other times.
The problem is how it decides when to zoom out. If it doesn't consider something a turn, you have no detail, even when you need it. For example, if you approach a five way intersection with two ways that might be considered "straight" it zooms out thinking you are not turning and doesn't let you see the detail of which fork to take. The zoom out and fake 3d tilt thing makes the car triangle figure cover the info you need in this case.

If you like what it does, great. I would like a button to have it not do that. The big map gives the expanded view all the time so I don't need it on the IC display. YMMV so let's get an option button to leave the IC 2D for cranky old guys like me.

What is curious is that the 3D map we have on the IC is what the Model 3 owners have as ‘main map’ on the big center display. That’s their map.

However, I think there’s no way for Model S to have the 3D map on the big screen, only 2D map, with our without sat images, and choose between headed to the north or headed ‘to the front’.

I’d like to have the 3D map also on the big center display of the model S.

I’ve had the displeasure of having to do with the first navigation that Tesla had somehow integrated from Navigon/Garmin.
That was completely old with bad routing, wrong time estimate and poor traffic conditions awareness.
The new version we have now since a few years is excellent imo.
And compared to Garmin, Tomtom or Audi that I had previously, it’s just great.
So I’m ok with people having different opinions and complaining.
Just indeed keep it as it and maybe add some flexibility to accommodate more people if it make sense.

Anyone remember this?
capture120-png.524327

Anyone remember this?
capture120-png.524327
Yes indeed.
And honestly when I went from my Audi to this, I was like... waouw great.
It did not take long to understand this was not a good navigation...
Though it looks nice, it actually replaced the view of the actual road section topology and the progress towards it. And that meant not understanding what direction to take.
So it worked for basic intersections but complex one would mean often choosing the wrong exit.

Reactions: jlv1